Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Bud by the Grace of God by S.E. Sasaki

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.

Official Review: Bud by the Grace of God by S.E. Sasaki

Post Number:#1 by va2016
» 08 Jun 2017, 13:39

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bud by the Grace of God" by S.E. Sasaki.]

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Review by va2016
Share This Review

This is a review of the book Bud by the Grace of God: Book Two of the Grace Lord Series by S. E. Sasaki, which is available under the ‘Science Fiction’ category in Amazon.

A medical station in the Space accepts patients from all galaxies of the Union of the Solar Systems. Hiro is the Chief of Staff of the station assisted by senior surgeon Dr. Grace Lord and anesthetist Dr. Dejan Cech. Bud, a robot built by Hiro, is continuously learning and evolving its intelligence and its feelings, and is in the process of becoming close to being human. It helps Hiro with his surgeries along with the ‘nanobots’ which do the microsurgery works. The ‘droids’ in the station take care of the regular operations and maintenance works. ‘Nelson Mandela’ is the station’s Artificial Intelligence mind, which controls and runs the station by taking orders from Hiro.

Jude Luis Stefansson, a famous video maker, wants to change his physical body to his avatar that he uses in his videos. He fixes up an appointment with Hiro and meets him in the medical station. Hiro flatly refuses to help with Jude’s request because of legal and ethical reasons. Jude convinces station’s Chief of Neurosurgery Dr. Octavia Weisman to help him. Meanwhile, Dr. Jeffrey Nestor who was sent away from the station for an attempted murder stealthily gets back to the station in an incoming vehicle. He manages to spread a computer virus into Nelson Mandela’s programs. Nelson Mandela becomes incapacitated. Jeffrey takes control of many aspects of the station and causes havoc. The reader is motivated to find out what happens next in this thrilling, action-packed, fantastic, fast-paced story!

The characters are built strongly right from the beginning. Hiro’s flamboyant nature and his outbursts tickle the reader’s funny bone. Each chapter has been tastefully titled to reflect the happenings in that chapter. Bud’s ability to learn, think, feel, express, get confused, and even breathe and lie, are well portrayed throughout the book. There is an interesting narration of 'nanobots' performing a microsurgery. The human-animal hybrid characters add a sense of awe to the story. Action lovers will enjoy the fight between the Panther-human and the Tiger-human. It's mesmerizing to read about the ‘antigrav’ car and its speed. There is a brief discussion about female infanticide and also about protection of women. Narrations about things like "Electrified Cattle Prod" and figures of speech like "burned his memory like acid" are noteworthy.

There are a few grammatical errors, e.g., "records" written as "record". There are mechanical errors like missing periods, missing quotation marks, unnecessary quotation marks, missing articles, unwanted hyphenations (e.g. "down-loading"), etc. In page number 261, the context suddenly changes from Hiro’s wife's thoughts to the Panther-human's thoughts without any indication, which confuses the reader. Other than this instance, the narration is pretty smooth throughout the book. A few pages are left blank without any explanation. There are no spelling mistakes in this book.

Overall, this book is a great entertaining fiction for all audiences, especially the sci-fi lovers. The story moves at a fast, steady pace. Though the narration is full of advanced futuristic concepts, it is written in a balanced fashion making it interesting to read for all audiences. There are some gory instances in the story which might need parental guidance for children and adolescents. There are some mechanical errors present. The formatting is pretty neat. This book could have easily fetched a 4 out of 4 stars rating, but because of the mechanical errors, this reviewer rates this book a 3 out of 4 stars.

Bud by the Grace of God
View: on Bookshelves

Like va2016's review? Post a comment saying so!
va2016

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 44%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Bud by the Grace of God by S.E. Sasaki

Post Number:#2 by kandscreeley
» 28 Jul 2017, 07:20

It sounds quite intriguing. I love the premise behind it. I like the futuristic concepts and the fast pace! I'll have to look at this one. Thanks!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 88 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 71%

Post Number:#3 by El-kanah
» 28 Jul 2017, 11:18

Whao, this review intrigued a great suspense. Guess I'll love to pick up the book.
El-kanah

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#4 by Penny Lee
» 28 Jul 2017, 12:15

Bud, the changing and learning robot, sounds like an intriguing main character in this book. I am curious as to why it is called Bud By the Grace of God. Is God or a form of religion a central aspect to this Sci Fi book?
Penny Lee's Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
Penny Lee

Favorite Author: R. A. Salvatore
Favorite Book: The Count of Monte Cristo
Currently Reading: Chariots In The Smoke
Bookshelf Size: 439 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 10 Books
Goal Completion: 410%

Post Number:#5 by Onyinyechukwu
» 28 Jul 2017, 12:20

I would never have known the book belonged to the sci-fi genre by the title! It sounds like an intricate, action packed novel. Thanks for the detailed review.
Onyinyechukwu's Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Onyinyechukwu

Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 12 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 4%

Post Number:#6 by va2016
» 28 Jul 2017, 13:03

Penny Lee wrote:Bud, the changing and learning robot, sounds like an intriguing main character in this book. I am curious as to why it is called Bud By the Grace of God. Is God or a form of religion a central aspect to this Sci Fi book?

Hi,

No. God or any specific religion is not the central theme of this book.
The title is because of one of the circumstances in the book, which cannot
be revealed - as it would be a spoiler. You have to read the book to
understand the title!

Thanks.
va2016

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 44%

Post Number:#7 by LadyClaire
» 28 Jul 2017, 14:57

This book will certainly make a great read but I wonder why the author chose 'Nelson Mandela' as one of his character names? I think I might read to find out. Thanks for the review, va2016
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
LadyClaire

Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 52 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 2%

Post Number:#8 by Penny Lee
» 28 Jul 2017, 18:02

va2016 wrote:
Penny Lee wrote:Bud, the changing and learning robot, sounds like an intriguing main character in this book. I am curious as to why it is called Bud By the Grace of God. Is God or a form of religion a central aspect to this Sci Fi book?

Hi,

No. God or any specific religion is not the central theme of this book.
The title is because of one of the circumstances in the book, which cannot
be revealed - as it would be a spoiler. You have to read the book to
understand the title!

Thanks.

Interesting! Thanks for the explanation.
Penny Lee's Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
Penny Lee

Favorite Author: R. A. Salvatore
Favorite Book: The Count of Monte Cristo
Currently Reading: Chariots In The Smoke
Bookshelf Size: 439 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 10 Books
Goal Completion: 410%

Post Number:#9 by JCasia
» 29 Jul 2017, 11:35

bud is a robot an ai with feelings. i dont want to spoil it but this interests me in some part that bud may have a spirit afterwards. cant wait for this.
this fiction based books are worthy.
thanks for the detailed review.
JCasia

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

Post Number:#10 by rs1977
» 09 Aug 2017, 02:07

a science fiction with god's name in the title, that 's quite intriguing. look's like god is all prevading
rs1977

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

Post Number:#11 by kimmyschemy06
» Yesterday, 08:13

Sounds like an interesting sci fi novel. It reminds me of the movie 'I, Robot' starring Will Smith. Too bad about the errors and the confusing scene. Good job on the review.
kimmyschemy06

Currently Reading: God Without Religion
Bookshelf Size: 328 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 82%