Official Review: Invasion of the Ortaks by

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Books_are_Life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 940
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-are-life.html
Latest Review: The Gryphon by Paula Grover
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: Invasion of the Ortaks by

Post by Books_are_Life »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Invasion of the Ortaks" by Sveinn Benónýsson.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Invasion of the Ortaks by Sveinn Benonysson

This is your basic fantasy novel of kings, princesses, lords, knights, servants, and of course regular peasants. There is a small reference to other races namely elves. There is a lot of action and travel happening in this book. This book covers a whole lot of time in its smaller size.

Peace has reined in the continent of Esthopia between the six kingdoms for a number of years. Rumors of the Ortaks have told of bloodthirstiness and cruelty to the south. They have destroyed the nations surrounding them and are said to be gathering a massive fleet. Princess Egny rescued Carl the ranger from a small group of Ortak soldiers. In the soldiers possessions was a map of locations were the king’s men are often trained at. A little bit later an attempt to assassinate the princess takes place. She rushes to safety but the news she carries troubles the kings of the land. Because of this King Haakon sends one of his knights down south to gather more information on the attempt on his niece’s life. Sir Klaus does his king’s bidding while he goes to sell his family’s wine.

This book is very confusing. It is almost written in an third-person omniscient style. I am not a fan of this style but I gave it a shot. What I found was there are too many side stories. The book jumped around from one geographic spot to a different one frequently. Each spot had a group of characters that had their own story and there was no clear connection between everything until I got close to the end. At the end there were still some stories that made no connection.

I rate this book to be 1 out of 4 stars. I did not like this book. The problem is not with the writing but with the story telling. The writing is great all around. The description, pace and plenty of action was excellent which is why I can see some people might enjoy this. For the story telling was all over the place and took a lot of brain power to unravel.

The author has good potential but first he needs to focus more on the main story instead of all these side stories. I did take in account that this is not from a prospective that I normally enjoy. It took me a long time to get through this book. This book was not for me but maybe it can be for you.

Invasion of the Ortaks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Books_are_Life's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

For sure i will not read this one. Thanks for the honest review.
Riki
Currently Reading: Middlesex
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riki.html
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey

Post by Riki »

This sounds like a heap of confusing subplots with a weak main plot. I hope the author works on his skills a bit more.
If the writing itself is good then the plot should become clearer with practice.
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Third person omniscient definitely needs to be done skillfully. That one can go either way. Sounds like this one is very confusing. Thanks for the review. I'll be avoiding this one for now.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

I'm disappointed. I'm a big fan of fantasy books and was prepared to sink my teeth into this book, thank your for saving my time!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. Though I'm a fan of fantasy novels, I may find too many backstories too confusing. Good job on the review.
REENA BEN
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by REENA BEN »

I would not read this book. Makes me confuse.Thanks for honest review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”