Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Pirate's Patch by Baer Charlton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.

Official Review: Pirate's Patch by Baer Charlton

Post Number:#1 by Scerakor
» 05 Jun 2017, 07:08

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pirate's Patch" by Baer Charlton.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by Scerakor
Share This Review

There are beings among us who have been around for thousands of years; these immortals are known as the Ever Kind. The Ever Kind can not only inhabit a human body for much longer than its usual "shelf life," but they can also flow into a new one if their current “shell” is killed. Over the course of recorded history, these approximately 1000 Ever Kind have been flowing in and out of different human bodies and have participated in all of mankind's major events. When human bodies aren't available an Ever Kind will also flow just as easily into an animal. Whether they were a blind, three-legged goat or Genghis Khan himself, one thing is sure, you can't kill an Ever Kind for good... or can you?

Pirate's Patch tells the tale of a select few of the Ever Kind as they embark on an adventure to destroy one of their own for good. Blake, our powerful female protagonist with a penchant for pirate attire and swordplay, teams up with her former lover (several times over in the past few thousand years) Manfred. They aim to take out one particular Ever Kind who has wreaked havoc on the human race for centuries. Almost all of the Ever Kind in the novel get a distinct kick out of the blood, gore, and adrenaline of a good war, but only Jun has massacred half of Mongolia during his reign in a particular host (and that wasn’t the only transgression on his rap sheet of historical destruction). Blake, Manfred, and a series of other Ever Kind and humans hatch an ultimate plot to draw in Jun through an extremely complex endeavor to clean up/mine the Northern Pacific Garbage Patch.

There was a lot to like about Pirate's Patch by Baer Charlton. I thoroughly enjoyed the world that Mr. Charlton has set up with this large group of immortals. It led not only to an interesting premise for the story, but also set up a lot of attention-grabbing dialogue as well. When the Ever Kind talk among themselves they have thousands of years of history to reminisce upon. The cheeky dialogue between these immortals not only flashes them back to places like ancient Egypt or the battle at Troy, but also has them thinking back to all of the times they have killed each other over the years. The result is a humorous novel with characters that have a familiarity with each other that only comes with millennia of interaction. Beyond the fun nature of the book, the science-fiction/fantasy aspects in the novel keep you guessing on what the ultimate plan to kill Jun is, the consequences of having these kinds of beings on Earth, and how different from us they must think/interact with the world. Finally, even though it was only a small portion of the novel, I thoroughly enjoyed the epic battle scene that acted as the climax to the novel. It was a fun mix of modern technology and old-school (think battles on the high-seas) mentalities that can only come from the Ever Kind. I think my favourite parts in the book, however, was when the Ever Kind (this happened more than once) decide to go out “shopping” for their next body. Some make sure that their bodies are prize fighters, others go for the taste in fashion, and still others did the rounds of male strip clubs to ensure they got one that looked good!

The only issues that I had with the book was the difficulty in wrapping my head around the characters in the beginning. Having not yet been initiated into Charlton’s world, it was awkward trying to figure out why a female character was being referred to by a male pronoun (as well as other unique examples easily imaginable). It didn’t significantly take away from the story later on but it definitely delayed me getting into the groove of reading the book.

Although originally I was on the fence for the fourth star, writing this review convinced me that I should give Pirate’s Patch 4 out of 4 stars. While the book isn’t as deep and thought provoking as Dostoevsky, I realized that this isn’t the only thing necessary for a successful 4 star book. This one had me chuckling, wondering what was going to happen, contemplating how we treat our environment, and on the edge of my seat while following the action. I would recommend this book for those that like a (relatively) quick book that has fun with the world Charlton has created and those that like a good science-fiction/fantasy novel that is based in present times. If you crave absolute realism or significantly deeper concepts in your novels, you might not enjoy this one.

Pirate's Patch
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Scerakor's review? Post a comment saying so!
Scerakor's Latest Review: "The Adventures of Fawn" by Al E. Boy
Scerakor

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 52 Books
Goal Completion: 98%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Pirate's Patch by Baer Charlton

Post Number:#2 by kandscreeley
» 09 Jun 2017, 10:55

Sounds like a fun read. I love the thought of immortal beings bouncing from one body to the next. I'm sure they have a lot to say! Thanks for the review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 115 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 96%

Post Number:#3 by Scerakor
» 09 Jun 2017, 20:44

kandscreeley wrote:Sounds like a fun read. I love the thought of immortal beings bouncing from one body to the next. I'm sure they have a lot to say! Thanks for the review.

That really was a fun aspect of this novel that I enjoyed! Thanks for the comment.
Scerakor

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#4 by Amagine
» 11 Jun 2017, 05:34

I like contemporary realism but I will admit that this book sounds very interesting. The fantasy aspect sounds a little too complicated for me but your review makes the book seem like there is something in it for all readers to enjoy. For example, I love books that will have me chuckling and laughing!

Great Review! 😁
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Amagine's Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
Amagine
Bookshelves Moderator

Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: The Summer I Turned Pretty
Currently Reading: Love and Fat-Free Cheese
Bookshelf Size: 715 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 45%

Post Number:#5 by MarisaRose
» 12 Jun 2017, 13:26

This book sounds really unique! Sounds like there is a lot to like about this book, despite the somewhat confusing start. Interesting review!
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading: Little Fires Everywhere
Bookshelf Size: 204 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 392%

Post Number:#6 by Tiffany95
» 13 Jun 2017, 23:32

I love books like this i really want to read it now. The jumping from body to body is a new plot twist
Tiffany95

Bookshelf Size: 0 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books

Post Number:#7 by Rosemary Okoko
» 15 Jun 2017, 10:01

No thank you. The Ever Kind story is not for me. Sounds like horror. Thanks for the heads up. Nice review.
Rosemary Okoko's Latest Review: "Ironclad Clay Part 2" by Mark Wright
Rosemary Okoko

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 6 Books
Goal Completion: 183%

Post Number:#8 by Scerakor
» 15 Jun 2017, 18:52

Rosemary Okoko wrote:No thank you. The Ever Kind story is not for me. Sounds like horror. Thanks for the heads up. Nice review.

Not every book is for everyone and that each's own prerogative. It really isn't horror by any means (the way it is presented in the book) and is quite light-hearted. The concept however, were it to be in real life, could be absolutely horrific though. Thanks for the comment.
Scerakor

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#9 by Penny Lee
» 09 Jul 2017, 16:57

Sounds like a fun sci-fi/fantasy read. The concept of immortals using different bodies is different than the latest norms in these genres. Hopefully the really bad guy, Jun, can be taken down once and for all. Thanks for the interesting review.
Littera scripta manet -- the written word remains.
Penny Lee

Favorite Author: R. A. Salvatore
Favorite Book: The Count of Monte Cristo
Currently Reading: My Craziest Adventures With God - Volume 1:
Bookshelf Size: 467 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 12 Books
Goal Completion: 500%

Post Number:#10 by Kitkat3
» 11 Jul 2017, 03:17

I really like the idea of this book. It sounds so unique and fun. Great review!
Kitkat3's Latest Review: "Black inked pearl" by Ruth finnegan
Kitkat3

Favorite Book: Milk and Honey
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 241 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 45%

Post Number:#11 by Henry Mutua
» 19 Jul 2017, 12:38

A good review