Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: The Matriarch Saved by J.Y. Olmos

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.

Official Review: The Matriarch Saved by J.Y. Olmos

Post Number:#1 by kandscreeley
» 31 May 2017, 13:11

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Matriarch Saved" by J.Y. Olmos.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by kandscreeley
Share This Review

The Matriarch Saved is book one of the Hive series by J.Y. Olmos. It is classified as science fiction and available on Amazon for $4.99. The book is around 400 pages, but the font is fairly large making for a quick read.

Alien ships have shown up around Earth and have begun stealing resources. They start with the Great Lakes as well as most of the world’s iron. Evonne and her family are preparing to flee the city when the alien’s kill her husband and child. Evonne is spared and finds herself on a ship filled with other females of breeding age.

The women aboard the alien ship are trapped in a cycle of being gassed, experimented on, and waking naked in a room. Quite a bit of time passes before they are rescued by another ship full of seemingly human males (albeit quite large, human males.) Evonne is separated from the rest of the women leaving her to wonder exactly who these people are and what they want with her. The leader of the ship, Kalerant Torneau, has ordered her to stay in his quarters for the duration of the trip.

The plot is fairly straight forward and develops quite nicely throughout the book. We learn about the aliens as Evonne does, which allows the reader to empathize better with her situation. If I had anything negative to say about the plot, it would be that not much is mentioned about exactly what went on during the alien abduction. I didn’t find myself missing anything, especially as the story developed further (I wouldn’t want to read the gory details anyway). However, some may be left wanting more details specifically about that time.

The book definitely belongs in the science fiction genre, and the author does a great job of creating alien species and planets. I don’t want to give too much away, but the aliens that are featured in this book have quite a different way of life than what we are used to. This left me intrigued and dying to read more. I will say that there is a definite element of romance included in this novel. The author is very tasteful in how the sensuality is presented with no explicit sex scenes, but the romance is unavoidable. Those that are looking for a science fiction book without any element of romance will want to steer clear of this book. Yet, because the author has handled the issue with such delicacy, I would say this would be appropriate for older teens.

It also bears mentioning that there were very few errors in this book. I think I saw only one or two in the whole 400 pages. The formatting is also well done. Although it is not strictly necessary – the author does a good job of explaining terms throughout the story – there is a glossary of terms in the back of the book. This glossary covers not only foreign terms, but characters as well.

There is no doubt in my mind that The Matriarch Saved deserves a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I started out thinking that it would probably end up with 3, but the story just grew on me. I was not ready for the book to end, and I do need to point out that there is a cliffhanger ending. I realize that not everyone will appreciate that; but, in this instance, it simply made me want to hurry up and buy the second book. I recommend this to anyone who enjoys a good alien romance, including any young adult readers.

The Matriarch Saved
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "Gestation Seven" by J Stewart Willis
kandscreeley

Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 76 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 59%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: The Matriarch Saved by J.Y. Olmos

Post Number:#2 by Jaime Lync
» 04 Jun 2017, 12:24

Great review. I like that you mentioned that the font is big so I am not intimidated by the 400 pages - I am usually afraid of reading anything over 350 pages. This does sound intriguing.
Jaime Lync

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 12 Books
Goal Completion: 366%

Post Number:#3 by kandscreeley
» 04 Jun 2017, 13:40

Yeah. I wouldn't worry that is 400 pages. It really isn't that many with the font and spacing. It goes quickly.
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#4 by hsimone
» 04 Jun 2017, 14:20

Great review! Hm...an alien ship trapping women and treating them poorly is something that is both disturbing and yet gripping for a fictional read. I like how the author takes the time to explain some new vocabulary because this is usually a feature that would turn me off from science fiction. I'm glad that you enjoyed the read!
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4
hsimone's Latest Review: "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner
Publishing Contest ~ 27 Votes ~ View hsimone's Entry
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves

Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Currently Reading: I Was Doctor Mengele's Assistant
Bookshelf Size: 394 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 140 Books
Goal Completion: 52%

Post Number:#5 by kandscreeley
» 04 Jun 2017, 15:00

Thanks hsimone. I love when the story captures me as this one did. As far as vocab, a good author can use foreign or invented words yet give you enough clues to help you know what they mean.
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#6 by Spirit Wandering
» 04 Jun 2017, 17:16

The aliens sound intriguing so I will be adding to my want to read list. Thanks for the great review!
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Spirit Wandering's Latest Review: "The Chronicles of Teng" by Anthony Kee
Spirit Wandering

Favorite Book: Sebastian
Currently Reading: Acheron
Bookshelf Size: 57 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#7 by kandscreeley
» 04 Jun 2017, 17:29

Thanks spirit. If you do read it, let me know what you think.
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#8 by Spirit Wandering
» 04 Jun 2017, 17:43

kandscreeley wrote:Thanks spirit. If you do read it, let me know what you think.

Will do.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Spirit Wandering's Latest Review: "The Chronicles of Teng" by Anthony Kee
Spirit Wandering

Favorite Book: Sebastian
Currently Reading: Acheron
Bookshelf Size: 57 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#9 by General Doc
» 04 Jun 2017, 19:26

I like that we learn about the aliens as Evonne learns about them not just because we are able to empathize with her more but I think it might keep us just generally more interested in the story to not know things before a character. For example, if I am watching a movie and I know that a character is going to die before s/he does I tend not to care much for the character.
General Doc

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

Post Number:#10 by Amagine
» 04 Jun 2017, 20:40

It's not often to find a science fiction book with a female lead. Usually people think of this genre as one reserved only for the boys. So I love the fact that the main character is a girl.

Great Review! 💚
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination. -Albert Einstein

Imagination is like a muscle. I found the more I wrote, the bigger it got.- Phillip Jose Farmer
Amagine

Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Rocket Writes a Story
Currently Reading: Viking Kids Don't Cry
Bookshelf Size: 660 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 40%

Post Number:#11 by kandscreeley
» 05 Jun 2017, 07:29

General Doc wrote:I like that we learn about the aliens as Evonne learns about them not just because we are able to empathize with her more but I think it might keep us just generally more interested in the story to not know things before a character. For example, if I am watching a movie and I know that a character is going to die before s/he does I tend not to care much for the character.

Very true. I understand where you are coming from. It definitely did keep my interest. In fact, it made my interest grow along with Evonne!

-- 05 Jun 2017, 07:30 --

Amagine wrote:It's not often to find a science fiction book with a female lead. Usually people think of this genre as one reserved only for the boys. So I love the fact that the main character is a girl.

Great Review! 💚

Absolutely! Plus, (which I don't think I stated), she's a little bit older than the typical character at around 40. Which is also unique!
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#12 by MarisaRose
» 05 Jun 2017, 13:18

At first, just reading the synopsis, I too didn't think this book would be that enjoyable. You make a lot of interesting points in the review that make me reconsider this one. Glad it was a pleasant surprise for you :)
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose's Latest Review: "Unbalanced" by Courtney Shepard
MarisaRose

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 134 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 184%

Post Number:#13 by kandscreeley
» 05 Jun 2017, 13:26

Thanks Marisa. I was leery when I first started the book, but the author did a great job sucking me in to the story. :)
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#14 by Emily Elizee
» 05 Jun 2017, 19:55

Great review.
Emily Elizee's Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
Emily Elizee

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab Nook Edition

Post Number:#15 by gali
» 08 Jun 2017, 23:25

An interesting premise! I liked it that the aliens "have quite a different way of life than what we are used to". The large font is a bonus, but I dislike cliffhanger ending. Oddly, there is no ebook version on Amazon. Thank you for the excellent review!
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali's Latest Review: "Enough Rope" by P.L. Doss
gali
Site Admin

Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: The Fireman
Bookshelf Size: 1627 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
Goal Completion: 51%

Next