Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Frequencies by Linda Armstrong

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.

Official Review: Frequencies by Linda Armstrong

Post Number:#1 by kandscreeley
» 26 May 2017, 14:19

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Frequencies" by Linda Armstrong.]

Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Review by kandscreeley
Share This Review

There are sound waves all around us. These sound waves are called frequencies, and the town of Bellville has been built to use these for their benefit. Not only does this create peace and harmony, but it can cure sickness as well.

Molly is fleeing from her gangster boyfriend Tony, when her car breaks down on the side of the road. Rory comes along just in time to help her out. He points out that her name means gangster’s woman, so she decides to use the nickname Eva. He then takes her to the town of Bellville where the citizens all help her to evade Tony. Bellville wants to offer her citizenship, but she has a lot to learn about the town and its frequencies.

Frequencies by Linda Armstrong is a novel of about 280 pages in the science fiction genre. You can read this for free with Kindle Unlimited or purchase the Kindle edition for $9.99. It is classified for teenagers, although I think it might be better suited for adults.

The town of Bellville is intriguing. I enjoyed the descriptions of some of the unique buildings in town. The library, for example, is made of glass and resembles a stadium. It has reflective technology to make it blend in with the scenery around it. It also contains a greenhouse where many fruits and vegetables are grown. Ms. Armstrong does a great job in describing this town and making it come alive in the mind of the reader.

While I was curious about where the story was headed and what would eventually happen to Molly/Eva, the story started dragging in the middle. The plot seemed to focus more on the town of Bellville than Eva. I was fascinated about this different town with its frequencies, but Ms. Armstrong seemed to just linger a little too long on the details.

Along the same lines, I don’t feel like the author spent enough time telling us about Eva and her history. We only learn very small bits about what her life was like with Tony before arriving in Bellville. There are also times that the author alludes to a past memory but never tells what it was. For example, when Eva gets dressed up to go to a town dance, she mentions that the formal clothes evoked a memory from long ago. We are never told, however, what that memory was. This made me feel as if something was left out.

Furthermore, I feel the need to mention that true fans of science fiction will be disappointed in this novel. I am guessing this was put into the science fiction genre because of the frequencies that are used in the town. Yet, that really does not qualify this book as science fiction, in my opinion. There is no magic, no time travel, no supernatural creatures, no alternate universe. I think the author would be best served by reconsidering which genre this book belongs to.

Unfortunately, there were also errors sprinkled throughout the book. These consisted of the usual punctuation errors as well as tense issues and run-on sentences. While there was nothing extremely grievous, it leads me to believe that this book has not been professionally edited.

All in all I rate Frequencies 2 out of 4 stars. The consistent errors caused the book to lose 1 star. The other star was lost due to the dragging in the middle of the story line as well as details missing from the life of the main character. Some might enjoy this book, especially those who enjoy reading details of a Utopian society. For my part, I think there needs to be some major reworking in this novel.

Frequencies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "Star Boat" by Roger F. Vanderlaan
kandscreeley

Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 83 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 66%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Frequencies by Linda Armstrong

Post Number:#2 by Tanaya
» 31 May 2017, 14:48

That library does sound awesome! I appreciated the fair critiques in this review. Nicely done.
Tanaya's Latest Review: "Tommy Two Shoes" by Rowena Womack
Tanaya

Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#3 by kandscreeley
» 31 May 2017, 14:57

Yeah I would definitely take a library like that one! :) Thanks for stopping by Tanaya.
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#4 by MarisaRose
» 31 May 2017, 16:12

Hm I'm curious about this novel. I agree that it doesn't really sound like sci-fi. Seems like the author has an interest premise but needs to work on the execution. Really good review!
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose's Latest Review: "Tiny Makes a Friend" by Eva Schmidler
MarisaRose

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 240%

Post Number:#5 by Amagine
» 31 May 2017, 17:09

I agree that this doesn't really sound like a science fiction. The town sounds interesting but it's disappointing that the author doesn't focus more on the characters than the town itself.

Great Review! 👑
"Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are." - Mason Cooley

"The book to read is not the one that thinks for you but the one which makes you think." -Harper Lee
Amagine

Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Writing for Children and Teens
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 682 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 41%

Post Number:#6 by kandscreeley
» 31 May 2017, 17:52

Thanks marisarose and amagine. This book was difficult for me to rate. It was a very interesting premise. I think it just needs some work and a new genre.
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#7 by Spirit Wandering
» 31 May 2017, 19:26

Yes, it would seem difficult to place this book in a genre. I am intrigued by the town's use of frequencies for harmony and healing. It sounds like the situation in the book parallels our own current scientific developments. For example, the use of new techniques such red light therapy and bi-neural beat frequencies to address both physical pain and psychological issues. Thanks for your review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Spirit Wandering's Latest Review: "Clearing the Bases" by Jim Kaplan
Spirit Wandering

Favorite Book: Sebastian
Currently Reading: Elantris
Bookshelf Size: 61 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books

Post Number:#8 by centfie
» 01 Jun 2017, 05:47

What an honest review! It seems I can learn a lot from your style of writing. I might not read this book but Iam definitely going to read more of your reviews.
centfie

Currently Reading: My Trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 26 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books

Post Number:#9 by kandscreeley
» 01 Jun 2017, 07:42

Spirit Wandering wrote:Yes, it would seem difficult to place this book in a genre. I am intrigued by the town's use of frequencies for harmony and healing. It sounds like the situation in the book parallels our own current scientific developments. For example, the use of new techniques such red light therapy and bi-neural beat frequencies to address both physical pain and psychological issues. Thanks for your review.

Yeah. It does sound something quite similar to that. It's almost something I could see being used some day. I'm not sure what genre I would put it in. Possibly other fiction? But I definitely wouldn't call it science fiction. It's an interesting concept though.

-- 01 Jun 2017, 07:43 --

centfie wrote:What an honest review! It seems I can learn a lot from your style of writing. I might not read this book but Iam definitely going to read more of your reviews.

Thanks! I appreciate that! Hopefully you'll find a book that you will enjoy.
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#10 by Jaime Lync
» 02 Jun 2017, 18:17

Great review. I really enjoyed your analysis. I know not to touch a book when I've been told that it 'drags in the middle'.
Jaime Lync's Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Jaime Lync

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 12 Books
Goal Completion: 425%

Post Number:#11 by kandscreeley
» 02 Jun 2017, 19:48

Thanks Jaime. It definitely is hard when books start dragging. Everyone is different though.
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#12 by Rosemary Okoko
» 09 Jun 2017, 11:31

Thanks for the honest review. I will put it in my bookshelf
Rosemary Okoko

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 6 Books
Goal Completion: 35%

Post Number:#13 by gali
» 14 Jun 2017, 09:00

An intriguing premise. Too bad the story started dragging in the middle and that it wasn't well edited. I love the genre, but I don't think the book is for me. Thank you for the review!
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali's Latest Review: "Enough Rope" by P.L. Doss
gali
Site Admin

Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: The Painted Queen
Bookshelf Size: 1636 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
Goal Completion: 58%

Post Number:#14 by kandscreeley
» 14 Jun 2017, 09:22

Thanks gali. It's definitely an interesting concept, almost realistic.
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#15 by Kitkat3
» 10 Jul 2017, 20:13

This sounds like a really interesting concept. If the author takes your constructive criticism then she could make it even better. I love the idea of the library. It's really unfortunate that there wasn't enough information on the main character. Great review!
Kitkat3's Latest Review: "Juliana" by Vanda
Kitkat3

Favorite Book: Juliana
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 185 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 35%

Next