Official Review: The Chronicles of Teng by Anthony Kee

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Official Review: The Chronicles of Teng by Anthony Kee

Post by Spirit Wandering »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Chronicles of Teng" by Anthony Kee.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Chronicles of Teng, by Anthony Kee, describes the adventures of archaeologist Edgar Blake and his team as they journey through Tibet. The trip was the result of a package left on his door step, sent by a lama named Teng. It contained two objects, one of which was a magical letter. The note summoned Blake to Tibet to “find him” (Teng) because “it is time to tell the world.” The letter’s properties include words that reappeared after being erased. It can also be crumpled into a ball like tin foil but then will return to its original shape.

After a long road trip from Kathmandu to Lhasa they finally meet Teng, an old man on the verge of death. He convinces Blake and the others to follow two young monks on a new trek. This journey is to find evidence of an alien race that visited Earth in ancient times, leaving an important message behind which must now be revealed to everyone on the planet. Ngu and Mingyu lead the three Americans to a remote mountain. Here they eventually come across the information that Teng sent them to find. When they return home, they endeavor to communicate this message to the world. Along the way, they have dangerous encounters with Chinese police officials as well as American and Russian intelligence agents.

I liked two of the major characters as well as the description of the Tibetan landscape. Blake is a dedicated professional, willing to sacrifice much to prove his theory of a lost alien race of ancient builders. Susan Carter is a linguist, with a particular talent for translating documents written in an ancient language that is a hybrid of two other languages. The third member of the team is Leo Porter, a museum curator. He is a curmudgeon, whose constant griping makes one wonder about Blake’s judgment in bringing him along. I just did not like Leo, even when the author gives him a bit more maturity as the novel progresses.

My favorite scenes in the novel take place when Edgar, Susan and Leo are deep in the mountain, separated from Ngu and Mingyu. The alien technology they find is intriguing but I don’t want to give away anything. I also enjoyed that the three explorers bonded together as a result of their shared experiences.

I would recommend this novel to readers who are looking for a fantasy adventure set in an exotic location. The book has the feel of the Indiana Jones stories although it does not reach the level of those classic adventures. However, some hard core Science Fiction/Fantasy fans may not find the level of character development or world building especially satisfying. The novel might also appeal to those who have an interest in the political climate of Tibet. The author dedicates the book to the people of Tibet and makes a number of references about how they are treated by China, which has ruled the region since the 1950’s.

I rate The Chronicles of Teng 3 out of 4 stars. There are two reasons why I felt it did not reach the level of four stars. The author’s description of the alien race (their appearance, demeanor and interactions with humans) was bland. The message they came to deliver also fell flat for me. Since I don’t want to create a spoiler by revealing it, I will just categorize the message as generic and without a wow factor. The first half of the novel has a long, slow buildup that makes you eager to know who the aliens are and the content of their message. So, it was disappointing that neither turned out to be memorable. Despite this, the book is a good first time effort by a new author.

The Chronicles of Teng
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Spirit Wandering's review? Post a comment saying so!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 719
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This sounds like an exciting adventure story that readers of fantasy will enjoy! Too bad the author couldn't be more descriptive with the language and characters.

Great Review! :D
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Spirit Wandering

Yes, I think this is probably a reflection of the fact that it is the author's first novel. Thanks for reading my review and replying.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 386
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Of Gilded Flesh by Gordon Gravley

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like an interesting concept. I hate when the author builds up to something, though, and then it just falls flat. Very disappointing. Still, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott
Spirit Wandering

111lovelymay wrote:It seems like confusing kind a story.
But thanks to the reviewer she explained a lot........
Thanks for reading my review. The part about Tibet wasn't really confusing but the number of times he referred to how their citizens are treated by the Chinese got a bit tedious.

-- 31 May 2017, 12:04 --
kandscreeley wrote:This sounds like an interesting concept. I hate when the author builds up to something, though, and then it just falls flat. Very disappointing. Still, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Yes I agree but it was still good. Thanks for reading and replying to my review.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

Nicely done! That seems like a fair rating based on your reasons, which do seem disappointing. There's so much creative potential when aliens are involved.
Spirit Wandering

Tanaya wrote:Nicely done! That seems like a fair rating based on your reasons, which do seem disappointing. There's so much creative potential when aliens are involved.
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I think the bland aliens reflects that this is the author's first book. The Amazon blurb indicates he wants to write a sequel. Perhaps as the plot moves along, the aliens will become more interesting.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Bland is sad. Great review. I really just hate bland descriptions - it's like there is potential but it just needs some flavor.
Spirit Wandering

Thanks for reading and replying to my review.
gali
Site Admin
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Unnatural Death
Bookshelf Size: 2102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds good! I like the genre and I love to read about Tibet. Too bad that the author’s description of the alien race was bland, and that the first part dragged. Thank you for the great review!
She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
BookishBookkeeping
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishbookkeeping.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by BookishBookkeeping »

Good review, but the story doesn't grab my attention. The alien part does though so maybe I'll look into it. Thanks again for your review.
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Spirit Wandering

gali wrote:Sounds good! I like the genre and I love to read about Tibet. Too bad that the author’s description of the alien race was bland, and that the first part dragged. Thank you for the great review!
Thanks! This is my favorite genre because it provides an escape into imagination.

-- 04 Jun 2017, 07:19 --
BookishBookkeeping wrote:Good review, but the story doesn't grab my attention. The alien part does though so maybe I'll look into it. Thanks again for your review.
Thanks for reading my review and replying.
AuGold
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AuGold »

Your review intrigues me. I want to know more about the alien tech up in the mountains. Nice review.
Spirit Wandering

AuGold wrote:Your review intrigues me. I want to know more about the alien tech up in the mountains. Nice review.
Thanks! Yes, that part of the book was the best.
General Doc
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by General Doc »

The Indiana Jones comparison made me interested in this book. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”