The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RT Mal
Currently Reading: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu

Post by RT Mal »

Greetings Science Fiction Lovers!
Science fiction allows us to explore potential futures, technological advances and theory, as well as giving us insight into the human condition and testing the bounds of what that really means. Personally, I am a fan of most science fiction, from my massive collection of Star Wars books, to the classics such as The Foundation series, War of the Worlds, and the like. However, I never really considered just how deeply my own personal understanding of what it means to live here with all of you until I read The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu. Written originally in Chinese, later translated into English by the author's brother, this gives an amazing insight into the Red Revolution in China before showing even a hint of science fiction. It is a topic that my education in Western Society touched on, but never really delved into, and after this book I wish it had. The persecution academia faced when they taught, thought, or spoke about Western Science was horrible. And it is from this maelstrom of persecution that sets up the major themes of the novel.

We follow a few different characters throughout the novel, time jumping here and there between the Revolution and Modern times, and the author/translator made the transitions seemless. I kid you not, this is a book that I had to fight myself in order to put down and sleep or do anything else for that matter. Following the similar, but contextually different trials and paths the characters face was more than just idle writing, it was engulfing and luring me in. But where I really got hooked, and admitted that I couldn't think about anything else until I reached the end, was when the discussion took a turn towards the debate between Applied and Theoretical Sciences, and how the same arguments of generations past keep creeping back into the system.

You may get to this point in my review and ask, well RT, where is the science fiction? This sounds like a bunch of history and actual science? Exactly. This novel pivots from history, to science, to politics, to fiction so easily, that you often forget where you are in it all. But alas, I will not spoil the ride for you too much. If you want your own understanding of the world, its people, and your beliefs challenged by a novel claiming to be pure science fiction, then I urge you to seek out The Three Body Problem, its even available on Audible (read by Luke Daniels - one of my personal favorites from the Iron Druid Chronicles).

This review may seem lackluster, but again trust me when I say that if I told you the pieces that make this science fiction, I would be giving away too much of the book, and the discovery you can make yourself!

May your pages never tear, and you minds never go wanting for that next adventure!

RT Mal
maygin
Currently Reading: When Breath Becomes Air
Bookshelf Size: 496
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maygin.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Post by maygin »

What's your star rating out of 4 stars?
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
RT Mal
Currently Reading: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by RT Mal »

I would give it a solid 3.75/4 - the only detractions is the story does seem to lull for a bit before snapping back into motion, while I appreciate a good rhythm in a story, I like to have a bit more of a sense of transition. Again - that is an extremely minor critique. Absolutely a novel I had trouble putting down!
mslion
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mslion.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by mslion »

I agree with the review of the three body problem and would highly suggest that you read the two sequels that complete the trilogy. It was for me a very unique inside of the world that in general being from the west we do not know that much about. I had to get used to the philosophizing at the beginning of the book and it took me sometime to figure out the different settings. I know that sounds fague but I do not want to spoil anything. I have to say regarding the audio however that the next two audiobooks are read by another narrator. He is completely different from Luke Daniels. He sounds more serious, which in my opinion helps the book but also makes it a bit heavier to read. His prenounciation if the Chinese words sound perfect to me. This is a definate +.
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

It was fun reading your review, as your love of all things Sci/Fi resonated with me. With a long commute, I'm always looking for good audio books. So I will check this one out on Audible. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

I am in the process of reading The Dark Forest, I have maybe 200 pages to go and I think this series is really interesting. Most of the science stuff kinda goes over my head but the concepts and plot are really interesting.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”