Official Review: A Light in the Dark by Kelly Bedford

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: A Light in the Dark by Kelly Bedford

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Light in the Dark" by Kelly Bedford.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A light in the Dark by Kelly Bedford is a post-apocalyptic novel of approximately 225 pages. The whole world has gone dark. Cars stopped running, planes dropped out of the sky and the power went off. Now, every day is a struggle to survive with food supplies running short, no heat for the winter and no communication.

Grace is a teenager caught up in the middle of the darkness. She’s a little different from those around her, though, as she can hear the voices of the deceased. Her mother didn’t make it through the darkness, and she has to survive on her own. She decides to return to a camp she used to attend yearly for other people gifted like her. Along the way she meets a little boy named Andy who reads the colors around people and is able to tell if they are mostly good or bad. Together the two try to find their way, but the journey is treacherous and the path fraught with danger.

I enjoy apocalyptic fiction such as this, but sometimes it seems repetitive. How many books have I read where an EMP causes the world to plunge into complete darkness? Too many. However, Ms. Bedford adds her own spin to the plot which makes this story quite interesting and different. I loved the supernatural aspect in this novel, and it changed the whole scope of the story. There is even a twist at the end that I did not see coming. When an author can surprise me, I am truly impressed. Ms. Bedford manages to do that in this book, and I must applaud her for that.

The characters were easily relatable with interesting back stories as well. Grace is an unusual teenager to begin with due to her special gift, and yet, she is still a typical teenager. I don’t know many adults that would cope well with this darkness, but she manages to gather up her courage and plunge ahead. The secondary characters are also intriguing. Ms. Bedford manages to make them interesting by the deceased loved ones speaking in Grace’s head. I loved the little tidbits that we picked up from these conversations.

The story’s pace is steady, and never once did I feel bored. At the same time, I didn’t feel like the story was too intense either. There are some novels that I have to put aside for a few minutes because I feel overwhelmed. That is not the case here as the plot is nicely balanced.

I also enjoyed how resourceful the characters are in surviving during this harsh time. My favorite example of this is the torch that Grace makes out of a pine tree. She takes a branch of a pine tree that is filled with sap, cuts it crosswise, puts kindling in the middle and there you have it. This makes me want to find a pine branch to try this myself!

Overall, I really enjoyed reading A Light in the Dark. The only complaint I have would be related to the many, many instances of run-on sentences throughout the book. The story is told in first person point of view from Grace’s perspective. As she is still a teenager, I can see that this might be the way that she talks. However, I think it’s a little too much. Also toward the end, the number of word substitutions went up (if used for of.) I would, therefore, rate this book 3 out of 4 stars due to the editing issues. I would, though, recommend this highly to any that enjoy apocalyptic literature.

A Light in the Dark
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
SUCCESS999
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SUCCESS999 »

This is an interesting story. And, it is also an encouraging type. It teaches us to be bold and fearless in a fearful and horrible situations. I will rate it 3 out of 4.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

That's true Success, it does encourage us to be courageous! It's a good book.
—Neil Gaiman
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review (glad to see your backed up reviews being published). I actually struggle not to write run-on sentences myself so seeing many of those in the book might annoy me too.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Jaime. In spite of the run-on sentences, this really is a good book. I enjoyed reading it.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This sounds like a great apocalyptic story! I love that there's a touch of supernatural because the characters have special powers. I might have to give this a read.

Great Review! :D
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Amagine. The supernatural element really adds something special to this story. If you try it, let me know how you like it.
—Neil Gaiman
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I can definitely relate to the overabundance of 'apocalyptic' fiction! The genre has become so flooded that I'm always wary of books like this. However, this one doesn't sound too bad, but it's a shame about all the run on sentences. Sounds like they are too abundant to really be intentional.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Marisa- What sets this apart is the supernatural element. The run on sentences were annoying but not too distracting. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

It's been a long time since I read an apocalyptic story like this. Your review has made this one very appealing. I might consider it but am worried about the poor editing.
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

I understand elaine. It was irritating, but it was still a good story. Worth a read.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks 111lovelymay!
—Neil Gaiman
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

I usually avoid post-apocalyptic novels because they are too intense. Sounds like you enjoyed this one though even with the editing issues. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks spirit. It really was good.
—Neil Gaiman
gurpreetkaur
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by gurpreetkaur »

Kelly- I don't like apocalyptic stories but after reading your view, I think I will try. Thanks.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”