Featured Review: Black Mirrors of the Soul

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Featured Review: Black Mirrors of the Soul

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Black Mirrors of the Soul" by Charles W. McDonald Jr..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Black Mirrors of the Soul is the second novel in a series by Charles McDonald. McDonald brings you to the brink of logic while simultaneously weaving an unforgettable story. I had the privilege of reviewing the first book in the series, A Kingdom Forgotten. Both books are written in a style that jumps through time and space at a near-dizzying rate. Had I not already read the first book, I feel I would have been lost while reading Black Mirrors of the Soul. However, having said that, I feel that the second book in the series is much more accessible than the first.

In order to fully appreciate Black Mirrors of the Soul, one must first know a little from A Kingdom Forgotten. The first of seven seals has been broken by Radin who felt he was “the one” mentioned in prophecy. The seven seals are destined to bring about the end of all times, the undoing of creation itself—possibly not on just one world, but all the worlds. The first broken seal has brought about severe devastation, jeopardizing at least one entire planet.

Damon has set himself up as a mastermind determined to create a new reality that will allow the survival of civilization after all seven seals are broken.

Radin was defeated by evil personified and is being held and tortured in Hades. Can Radin be rescued, and if so, will he ever recover?

Royvan Miral (famed discoverer who found the first seal) is on a quest to find the second seal, only to be presented with perhaps the greatest quandary that humanity has ever seen.

Talemar (famed lamean or magic person) is currently crowned with the crystal crown won in A Kingdom Forgotten. Talemar quite literally holds down the fort, attempting to keep the army supplied and happy with little to no information.

While following the threads of the above-mentioned characters, Black Mirrors of the Soul also provides some critical back story, particularly concerning Damon. What happened in Damon’s past that destroyed seemingly all goodness in his soul? Everyone who meets Damon agrees that he is not a good person. However, he is such a complex character that nearly all are drawn to him either in fear, hate, or love.

Black Mirrors of the Soul will take you through all the emotions. Just as in A Kingdom Forgotten, good and evil are not the simple concepts you assume they should be. In Black Mirrors of the Soul, the relationship of father to son is explored. The book also includes power struggles, manipulative relationships, pure love, lust, vengeance, and redemption.

McDonald’s writing style includes a happy mix of description and narrative. Rarely have I found a book that includes such amazing synergy between foreknowledge and mystery. Information is doled out in a way that compels you to read more and leaves you breathless when you reach the end. McDonald keeps up a thrilling pace while he continues to develop the characters. Consequently, I understood increasingly more of each character while reading the second book in this series. I am glad to give this 4 out of 4 stars; however, due to sultry scenes, I would not recommend this to anyone under the age of 18.

Black Mirrors of the Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like greenstripedgiraffe's review? Post a comment saying so!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like another good one by this author. I guess I need to start with the first book in the series though. Thanks for the great review. I'm glad you got to review both of these books.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This book sounds like there is so many elements to it! I like how you said that the concept of evil and good aren't simple and that this book goes deeper than that. It sounds very interesting!

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
greenstripedgiraffe

kandscreeley wrote:This sounds like another good one by this author. I guess I need to start with the first book in the series though. Thanks for the great review. I'm glad you got to review both of these books.
I'm glad too. It took me a while to understand what was going on, but this is definitely a worthy series to look into! What a story!!!

-- 04 May 2017, 09:49 --
Amagine wrote:This book sounds like there is so many elements to it! I like how you said that the concept of evil and good aren't simple and that this book goes deeper than that. It sounds very interesting!

Great Review! ?

Thanks! This is very complex, indeed! If you decide to plunge in, definitely read book one first!
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

It's really great that the author is able to utilize descriptions in the narrative without having them be overwhelming. The overall story of this one sounds interesting - I'll definitely have to read the first one before this though!
rglafleur
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by rglafleur »

Its often interesting to see others ideas of what heaven and hell must be like. I cant wait to read this one and book one.
greenstripedgiraffe

rglafleur wrote:Its often interesting to see others ideas of what heaven and hell must be like. I cant wait to read this one and book one.
thanks for comments! I hope you love the books! As fascinating as this series is, it hasn't yet dealt with heaven, though.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review. I like that you included reader's discretion at the end. I am in my early 20s but I am not a fan of work that has content for 18+ audience. The book sounds intriguing otherwise.
greenstripedgiraffe

Jaime Lync wrote:Great review. I like that you included reader's discretion at the end. I am in my early 20s but I am not a fan of work that has content for 18+ audience. The book sounds intriguing otherwise.
Thanks for your remarks. To be honest, I'm not a fan of "adult" content either. In this book, it was not as bad as it could be, but definitely present. Personally, I think the book would not suffer if this were taken out.
Nthabeleng
Currently Reading: Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nthabeleng.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Nthabeleng »

Great review the book sounds intriguing, if I get the fist book I'll definitely read this one.
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
adampaarma_1

Post by adampaarma_1 »

This is great. keep it up!
greenstripedgiraffe

Nthabeleng wrote:Great review the book sounds intriguing, if I get the fist book I'll definitely read this one.
-- 12 May 2017, 17:28 --
adampaarma_1 wrote:This is great. keep it up!

thanks, guys!! 8-)
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I absolutely love stories that take me through all of the emotions, as you describe it. Will definitely need to consider reading this one, as well as the first in the series. I see from the sidebar that you are currently reading a Temple Grandin book. I had the privilege of hearing her speak once; she is such an inspiration.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
greenstripedgiraffe

CatInTheHat wrote:I absolutely love stories that take me through all of the emotions, as you describe it. Will definitely need to consider reading this one, as well as the first in the series. I see from the sidebar that you are currently reading a Temple Grandin book. I had the privilege of hearing her speak once; she is such an inspiration.
I enjoyed this book more than I thought I ought to - definitely a different story than any I have ever read yet!

Yes, I am reading through Temple Grandin. I have a child who needs some special help, as it were. I'm hoping to get some tips. However, unfortunately, I have a touch of distraction in my own soul and I read it slower than I want to :lol2: All that to say, I feel that Ms. Grandin definitely nails it in this book. Everything I have read has applied to my child and I feel the urgent need to teach it to him, if he will be taught!
jud

Post by jud »

this is a good story :D :D :D :D :D

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”