Review by NerdGirl91 -- Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga bo...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NerdGirl91
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerdgirl91.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Review by NerdGirl91 -- Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga bo...

Post by NerdGirl91 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Solaris Seethes, Solaris Saga Book 1 by Janet McNulty

Solaris Seethes is the first book in the Solaris Saga written by Janet McNulty. This book is a science fiction fantasy book. It could also, so far, go into the teen fiction genre. It is a fairly quick, easy, and very enjoyable read.

Solaris Seethes is about a girl named Rynah who, in a life threatening turn of events, must save the the universe with help from four people from a strange, primitive, blue planet. They are all from different times on Earth, but due to advanced technology they can be teleported to come to the rescue. With a viking king, a teenage girl, a man not too far from our present time, and a scribe from 751 B.C, the culture shock and time travel creates a little tension and humor.

Someone close to Rynah betrays her trust to steal a data crystal. Unfortunately this crystal is what holds her planet together. It is also one of 6 keys to a weapon that can destroy whole planets! After the crystal is stolen and her planet begins to crumble she needs to escape her planet to find the four people described in an old prophecy. To find them she will need the help of Solaris, a spaceship built by her grandfather. Solaris is no ordinary ship, she has what seems to be human emotions and can think for herself, but she also has many answers about the prophecy that will help save the universe.

Once Rynah and Solaris find Solon the philosopher, Alfric the warrior of nobility, Tom the inventor, and Brie the one who loves when all is lost, they begin their mission to collect all the crystals before their foe, and destroy the weapon. They encounter their enemies, pirates, and even some allies along the way.

With this being the first book many question are left unanswered and we are left on a cliffhanger. What will happen to the crew? Will they collect the crystals? I will only know after I read book 2 Solaris Seeks.

It is the many adventures and action in this book that make it a truly unique and entertaining story! My favorite part of this book is the character development. As we learn more about each character we learn why they were chosen to help save humanity. They each have a story coming from different times on Earth that have shaped them in different ways. The way the characters are able to adapt to their situation and each other is very interesting in itself. Coming from different times they are still able to work together, help each other, and even care for one another.

The only negative I could find in this book was the overuse of parentheses. It was great to get more detail, however by using the parentheses the sentence structure did not flow. It took away from the story and could become confusing at times. I wish the author had used all the vivid detailing in a better way. If it had been worked into the sentences to develop a mental picture I feel it would have flowed and been that much better. With that being said I rate this book a 3 out of 4. Had the sentences flowed and the details been developed with the same imagery, I would have rated a 4 out of 4.

In all this was a very good book. It kept me entertained and wanting more. I will be reading the series. I want to know what happens and that is the best compliment a reader can give. Thank you Janet for creating a new world I want to be a part of!

Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like NerdGirl91's review? Post a comment saying so!
She read books as one would breathe air, to fill up and live.
-Annie Dillard
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”