Official Review: Toon Girl by Sean Wheeler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Official Review: Toon Girl by Sean Wheeler

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Toon Girl" by Sean Wheeler.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toon Girl is a really short novel and has been written by Sean Wheeler. It is 32 pages and has been placed in the sci-fi genre. It was published on the 9th of March 2017.

The first pregnancy test that Stephanie Painter went to after discovering that she was going to have a child with husband-Samuel Painter, had some astonishing results. The baby girl that was going to be born possessed a ‘Super Gene’ because of which she was a ‘Gene Human’. The girl could speak when she was an infant. Stephanie had actually given birth to a cartoon whom she named Sue. Actually, the baby insisted on calling itself Sue. She really did look like an animated character with the cell-shading and thick black outline. Many people freaked out because of her physical appearance. The only explanation for this weird gene disorder was that Sue’s father made cartoons.

Then, the storyline shifts to 14 years ahead and a teenage Sue. At school, she gets asked out by a guy named Otto. Sue readily agrees and they decide to go to a show named Willie’s Circus. At the show, they meet another young couple-Jeremy Floater and his girlfriend, Amy Simpson. The four teenagers find the show really boring and decide to leave, only to get held back by Willie and his clowns who try to kill them, one by one. Sue isn’t the only Gene Human, Jeremy is one too. A Gene Human possesses some unique superhuman powers which could help the four escape. Will it be enough to escape from some clowns who know every trick they have up their sleeve?

It took me about twenty minutes to complete this short book. This book was more comedy than sci-fi. It was written in a really humorous manner and the plot was also unique. To be honest, this book did get me giggling to myself at times.

I experienced a few issues with this book. Firstly, the dialogues were a bit weird. There were also a few awkward sentence structures. The biggest issue I had with this book is that I couldn’t figure out which age category this book was aimed for. The writing style of the author made the book seem like it was for children. Even in the Amazon description, it has been mentioned that this book is for ages 7 to 18. But, with the mention of things like STDs and sex, I would redeem this book rather unfit for that age. Older teen or adults who’d like a short comedy could check this book out.

I would have rated this book 2.5 stars if I could but I believe that it deserves a rating of 2 out of 4 stars. The things I mentioned in the previous paragraph hampers me from giving it any more. Other than the really few awkward sentence structures, this book was professionally edited and I could not spot any grammatical errors or typos. I didn’t give it a one as it would make a decent and funny read for some people who have a good sense of humour or love comedy books. It did get me giggling at times.

Toon Girl
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Wasif Ahmed's review? Post a comment saying so!
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Even though the target audience isn't clear, this sounds like an interesting and humorous read! It also sounds like a fantasy because people can give birth to cartoons. I might have to add this book to my bookshelf. I love reading books that makes me laugh.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Hmmm. This doesn't seem like something that would really interest me. A little too weird for my taste. Thanks though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

Quite an ingenious idea making a cartoon producer produce a baby cartoon!

Maybe the author would benefit by revising the book to make it age appropriate and to add more pages to it. Changes made on the lines of the review could as well be considered. Kudos for the review.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Amagine wrote:Even though the target audience isn't clear, this sounds like an interesting and humorous read! It also sounds like a fantasy because people can give birth to cartoons. I might have to add this book to my bookshelf. I love reading books that makes me laugh.

Great Review! ?
Thanks a lot @Amagine . You should definitely try this book out then!

-- 05 May 2017, 05:58 --
kandscreeley wrote:Hmmm. This doesn't seem like something that would really interest me. A little too weird for my taste. Thanks though.
Thank you @kandscreeley ! :tiphat:

-- 07 May 2017, 11:57 --
Chrys Brobbey wrote:Quite an ingenious idea making a cartoon producer produce a baby cartoon!

Maybe the author would benefit by revising the book to make it age appropriate and to add more pages to it. Changes made on the lines of the review could as well be considered. Kudos for the review.
Thanks @"Chrys Brobbey" :tiphat: :D
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”