Official Review: The Twilight Saint by Jessica Penot

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: The Twilight Saint by Jessica Penot

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Twilight Saint" by Jessica Penot.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Twilight Saint by Jessica Penot is a book about life. In it we learn of the rise and fall of empires, of war and peace, of love and betrayal, and so much more. This is a work of science fiction, but there are many lessons to be learned from this tale.

Ailive is the main character in this story. We meet her when she is still a young girl. She is a karake, a warrior of the tribe of Xender. She was raised to defend her people; she was raised to be a killer. She excels in this, but she wants more. She prays for a reprieve. All she wants is a short time at the University so that she can be normal for just a time. Ailive gets her wish and attends the University. There she meets a man named Cahir. He teaches her the way of the Storm, and she learns how to follow the wind before returning home to Xender. Change is in the air, however, and we learn that nothing lasts forever.

The Twilight Saint is about so much more than I can go into in this short review. It chronicles the life of Ailive, but hers is no ordinary life. Ms. Penot has done well at making Ailive a truly relatable character. She was born into a world filled only with death. She thinks that is all she is good for, yet she wants to be normal. She wants peace and longs for justice. She loves deeply, and she loses greatly. At every turn, I felt what Ailive felt. I lived vicariously through her, and it was a wonderful journey.

Ailive is certainly one of the best parts of this novel. However, I also loved the many cultures and peoples that the author created within this book. Each is unique in its own way. Some embrace technology while others abhor it. Some are warriors while others are lovers of peace. Each tribe is well-thought-out and well-planned. Ms. Penot has created a whole world where readers can immerse themselves. I applaud the author as I can only imagine the amount of work it took to create each individual tribe with as much detail as she has.

As I stated above, this story is about life. Life is not always neat and rarely simple. In an effort to be as realistic as possible the author includes graphic scenes in this book, but they are handled with care. These scenes are not added arbitrarily but always have a point. However, there are some scenes which are not meant for children or those with an especially weak nature.

I enjoyed every minute of this book as there was a balanced rhythm to the flow of the story; never too fast and never too slow. There were a few errors in this book, but they were minor. Overall, I rate The Twilight Saint a 4 out of 4 stars as it was a well-written book. I would highly recommend it not only to lovers of science fiction but also to anyone who enjoys a good story with different cultures and loveable characters.

The Twilight Saint
View: on Bookshelves

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I like the correlation between Ailive's name and the fact the book is about life. Her name almost looked like, "alive" and I'm sure that was done intentionally. She sounds like a strong girl and in general, an amazing character. I'm hooked.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks! She is a strong woman and a great character. I admire her.
—Neil Gaiman
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Amagine wrote:I like the correlation between Ailive's name and the fact the book is about life. Her name almost looked like, "alive" and I'm sure that was done intentionally. She sounds like a strong girl and in general, an amazing character. I'm hooked.

Great Review! ?

Yes, this is quite clever!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

I love a book were the author goes that little bit further with the world-building. It really makes all the difference. It makes it easier to fall into the world and get lost in the story :romance-hearteyes: . After reading this review, definitely one to add to the reading list.
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Sarah G. If you do read it, I'm sure you'll love it. You'll have to look for the Rwans. They were one of my favorite parts. I won't say anything more than that though.
—Neil Gaiman
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Wow this one sounds like a really captivating read. I love when an author successfully builds a complete world and creates good characters. Excellent review :)
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Marisa. I know it must take a lot of work to build an entire world, but this author does it fantastically!
—Neil Gaiman
Vickyoreo86
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =118626">A Court of Wings and Ruin</a>
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickyoreo86.html
Latest Review: Cover Your Tracks, Leona Leitman by C. S. Johnson

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

This is such a good review and the book sounds very interesting and full of detail! Very intriguing
“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences.”
― David Gemmell
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Vicky! It is worth a read. I loved the different cultures. Lots of interesting things in this book.
—Neil Gaiman
Vickyoreo86
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =118626">A Court of Wings and Ruin</a>
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickyoreo86.html
Latest Review: Cover Your Tracks, Leona Leitman by C. S. Johnson

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

I love books like this where there are layers of meaning and depth... Recently I've been reading some not so great books lol. I may check this out
“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences.”
― David Gemmell
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

greenstripedgiraffe wrote:
Amagine wrote:I like the correlation between Ailive's name and the fact the book is about life. Her name almost looked like, "alive" and I'm sure that was done intentionally. She sounds like a strong girl and in general, an amazing character. I'm hooked.

Great Review! ?

Yes, this is quite clever!
Seconded, and I like that.

World building and character building needs to be done well to have the effect of captivating the reader and drawing them in, without slowing down the plot. I sometimes don't get into these stories as well as others. It sounds like this book really moved you though which is good. I might read up on this one a bit more.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

This sounds like a story I'd really enjoy with round characters. I'll check it out. Thanks for the review!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a great read with very interesting and admirable character. It seems like the author was able to create her very own world. Good job on the review. Congratulations to Jessica Penot on such an obviously well written book.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

The author is quite talented. I loved the way she crafted the worlds, but she somehow did it in a way that didn't slow down the story. It was perfect.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”