Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: The Twilight Saint by Jessica Penot

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.

Official Review: The Twilight Saint by Jessica Penot

Post Number:#1 by kandscreeley
» 18 Apr 2017, 14:01

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Twilight Saint" by Jessica Penot.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by kandscreeley
Share This Review

The Twilight Saint by Jessica Penot is a book about life. In it we learn of the rise and fall of empires, of war and peace, of love and betrayal, and so much more. This is a work of science fiction, but there are many lessons to be learned from this tale.

Ailive is the main character in this story. We meet her when she is still a young girl. She is a karake, a warrior of the tribe of Xender. She was raised to defend her people; she was raised to be a killer. She excels in this, but she wants more. She prays for a reprieve. All she wants is a short time at the University so that she can be normal for just a time. Ailive gets her wish and attends the University. There she meets a man named Cahir. He teaches her the way of the Storm, and she learns how to follow the wind before returning home to Xender. Change is in the air, however, and we learn that nothing lasts forever.

The Twilight Saint is about so much more than I can go into in this short review. It chronicles the life of Ailive, but hers is no ordinary life. Ms. Penot has done well at making Ailive a truly relatable character. She was born into a world filled only with death. She thinks that is all she is good for, yet she wants to be normal. She wants peace and longs for justice. She loves deeply, and she loses greatly. At every turn, I felt what Ailive felt. I lived vicariously through her, and it was a wonderful journey.

Ailive is certainly one of the best parts of this novel. However, I also loved the many cultures and peoples that the author created within this book. Each is unique in its own way. Some embrace technology while others abhor it. Some are warriors while others are lovers of peace. Each tribe is well-thought-out and well-planned. Ms. Penot has created a whole world where readers can immerse themselves. I applaud the author as I can only imagine the amount of work it took to create each individual tribe with as much detail as she has.

As I stated above, this story is about life. Life is not always neat and rarely simple. In an effort to be as realistic as possible the author includes graphic scenes in this book, but they are handled with care. These scenes are not added arbitrarily but always have a point. However, there are some scenes which are not meant for children or those with an especially weak nature.

I enjoyed every minute of this book as there was a balanced rhythm to the flow of the story; never too fast and never too slow. There were a few errors in this book, but they were minor. Overall, I rate The Twilight Saint a 4 out of 4 stars as it was a well-written book. I would highly recommend it not only to lovers of science fiction but also to anyone who enjoys a good story with different cultures and loveable characters.

The Twilight Saint
View: on Bookshelves

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "A Light in the Dark" by Kelly Bedford
kandscreeley

Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 68 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 52%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: The Twilight Saint by Jessica Penot

Post Number:#2 by Amagine
» 19 Apr 2017, 07:15

I like the correlation between Ailive's name and the fact the book is about life. Her name almost looked like, "alive" and I'm sure that was done intentionally. She sounds like a strong girl and in general, an amazing character. I'm hooked.

Great Review! 🐇
There's no such thing as a kid who hates reading. There are kids who love reading, and kids who are reading the wrong books."-James Patterson
Amagine

Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Writing for Children and Teens
Currently Reading: DeFacto Feminism: Essays Straight Outta Oakland
Bookshelf Size: 625 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 39%

Post Number:#3 by kandscreeley
» 19 Apr 2017, 08:52

Thanks! She is a strong woman and a great character. I admire her.
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#4 by greenstripedgiraffe
» 19 Apr 2017, 09:22

Amagine wrote:I like the correlation between Ailive's name and the fact the book is about life. Her name almost looked like, "alive" and I'm sure that was done intentionally. She sounds like a strong girl and in general, an amazing character. I'm hooked.

Great Review! 🐇

Yes, this is quite clever!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
greenstripedgiraffe's Latest Review: "Black Mirrors of the Soul" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
greenstripedgiraffe

Currently Reading: Unwritten Rules of Social Relationships
Bookshelf Size: 209 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#5 by Sarah G
» 19 Apr 2017, 12:05

I love a book were the author goes that little bit further with the world-building. It really makes all the difference. It makes it easier to fall into the world and get lost in the story :romance-hearteyes: . After reading this review, definitely one to add to the reading list.
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
Sarah G

Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 4%

Post Number:#6 by kandscreeley
» 19 Apr 2017, 12:12

Thanks Sarah G. If you do read it, I'm sure you'll love it. You'll have to look for the Rwans. They were one of my favorite parts. I won't say anything more than that though.
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#7 by MarisaRose
» 19 Apr 2017, 15:25

Wow this one sounds like a really captivating read. I love when an author successfully builds a complete world and creates good characters. Excellent review :)
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose's Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
MarisaRose

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 172%

Post Number:#8 by kandscreeley
» 19 Apr 2017, 15:31

Thanks Marisa. I know it must take a lot of work to build an entire world, but this author does it fantastically!
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#9 by Vickyoreo86
» 19 Apr 2017, 17:40

This is such a good review and the book sounds very interesting and full of detail! Very intriguing
“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences.”
― David Gemmell
Vickyoreo86's Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
Vickyoreo86

Favorite Book: A Court of Mist and Fury
Currently Reading: crown of stones magic price
Bookshelf Size: 50 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 54%

Post Number:#10 by kandscreeley
» 19 Apr 2017, 17:53

Thanks Vicky! It is worth a read. I loved the different cultures. Lots of interesting things in this book.
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#11 by Vickyoreo86
» 19 Apr 2017, 18:06

I love books like this where there are layers of meaning and depth... Recently I've been reading some not so great books lol. I may check this out
“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences.”
― David Gemmell
Vickyoreo86's Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
Vickyoreo86

Favorite Book: A Court of Mist and Fury
Currently Reading: crown of stones magic price
Bookshelf Size: 50 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 54%

Post Number:#12 by Gingerbo0ks
» 19 Apr 2017, 18:40

greenstripedgiraffe wrote:
Amagine wrote:I like the correlation between Ailive's name and the fact the book is about life. Her name almost looked like, "alive" and I'm sure that was done intentionally. She sounds like a strong girl and in general, an amazing character. I'm hooked.

Great Review! 🐇

Yes, this is quite clever!

Seconded, and I like that.

World building and character building needs to be done well to have the effect of captivating the reader and drawing them in, without slowing down the plot. I sometimes don't get into these stories as well as others. It sounds like this book really moved you though which is good. I might read up on this one a bit more.
“One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Gingerbo0ks

Currently Reading: Believe
Bookshelf Size: 143 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#13 by Kitkat3
» 19 Apr 2017, 18:53

This sounds like a story I'd really enjoy with round characters. I'll check it out. Thanks for the review!
Kitkat3

Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 135 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 28%

Post Number:#14 by kimmyschemy06
» 21 Apr 2017, 09:30

Sounds like a great read with very interesting and admirable character. It seems like the author was able to create her very own world. Good job on the review. Congratulations to Jessica Penot on such an obviously well written book.
kimmyschemy06

Currently Reading: Chakaura
Bookshelf Size: 317 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 60%

Post Number:#15 by kandscreeley
» 21 Apr 2017, 09:52

The author is quite talented. I loved the way she crafted the worlds, but she somehow did it in a way that didn't slow down the story. It was perfect.
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley

View Reviewer Page