Official Review: The Power of the Babbling Brook

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Power of the Babbling Brook

Post by Christina O Phillips »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Power of the Babbling Brook" by Marie Fostino.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Power of the Babbling Brook is an historical fantasy written by Marie Fostino. When I first read the description of this book, I was very excited. The book included several things that I love: a Renaissance Fair, history, and time travel. The novel is about the famous explorer Ponce de Leon and how his life becomes integrated with the life of Marlena Gates, a history teacher, whom he meets at a present day Renaissance Fair. Ponce takes Marlena back to his time and although she is angry with him for the kidnapping, she has to trust him to help her find her way back to her time. Sounds unique and exciting, right?

Unfortunately, the start of the book (during which everything in the exciting description happens at a very slow pace), just did not play out as it had sounded. The beginning of the book was too choppy: in chapter one we are introduced to a young boy and his grandmother whom we learn next to nothing about, chapter two is a memory of the grandmother’s, then we go back in time in chapter three to read about Ponce de Leon. The next few chapters are also brief cuts from the king to Ponce and his time in Florida. I nearly gave up because of how short and unfulfilled the chapters felt.

The choppiness continues throughout the novel as the chapters are all ended abruptly instead of using any kind of transitions. The punctuation and verb tense problems indicate that the novel could benefit from an editor. The novel could also benefit from a bit more research. The language use and body language did not feel accurate to the time period that was being portrayed.

The characters are also as dull as their conversations. I am all for suspending my disbelief to read fantasy novels, but I was irritated that the history teacher who should know so much about the time period she is transported to did not use her knowledge to her advantage more or to blend in better. In one scene she is being accused of being a witch and her reaction is to then tell everything she knows about the accuser even talking about his death because that is supposed to prove she is not a witch?

I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars. The idea of the story is interesting enough that it could have been a great novel, but the execution of this tale really missed the mark. The novel does a lot of telling and not enough showing. It was very difficult for me to finish this book.

The Power of the Babbling Brook
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Christina O Phillips's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Oh my! This definitely sounds like it would get confusing in the first few chapters. It's a great story line, but it just wasn't executed well. Thanks for the review. I'll avoid this one for now.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

How disappointing. The cover of the book looks interesting and would've attracted my attention. I would've read it and been utterly annoyed. I need a great plot and amazing character development for a story to keep my interest. It sounds like this book lacks both. Also, you said that the heroine failed to use her knowledge and intelligence in the story. That translate to me that she is a weak character and that is even more disappointing to me than the plot.

Thank you for your review and great job! :D
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

Too bad 'The Power' behind the book could not power it to a good review, and it turned out to be only all that 'Babbling'. Hopefully the author will use the review to resurrect the book to the standard of the expectation generated in the first paragraph of your review. Kudos.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
JessicaElaine91
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessicaelaine91.html
Latest Review: "Marrying a Playboy Billionaire" by H M Irwing

Post by JessicaElaine91 »

I also loved the time period in which the book was supposed to be based on. Sounds to me like the writer needed to do more research. Thank you for the detailed review. I would be highly disappointed to read about a favorite time period that wasn't portrayed correctly. :)
Latest Review: "Marrying a Playboy Billionaire" by H M Irwing
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

It's too bad about this book--the description sounds so promising! You did a great job on this review, though!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

It's a shame it was good idea but poorly executed. I too would have a hard time following the plot. Hopefully your next book to review will be better but well done for finishing it!
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

How disappointing. The story line is so interesting. I think that sometimes choppy can work if the writer has enough skill to make the choppy nature of the work seem intriguing till the end. Thanks for the review. This is one book I'm not reading.
Teri Caiazzo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Teri Caiazzo »

A truly powerful and enjoyable story, whimsical, fantasy, and a bit of history, mixed in with a love story, combined to make a five star read.
When Ponce de Leon comes to the future in search of the Merlin the Magician, on a mission for King Fernidad, to find the Fountain of Youth, he mistakenly sees a history teacher dressed as the magician, Marlena Gates, who is doing a fund raiser for the school she works in, and brings her back to his time. He is shocked when he gets her there to find she is a beautiful woman, when she takes off her mask.
This is a very enjoyable and touching love story, though much different from what Ms. Fostino has written in the past, she doesn't disappoint her readers. I hope you like this story as much as I did, and if you do purchase this book, please leave a review. Happy reading
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

Thanks for this great review! It always drives me batty when a historical novel is not well done. Especially when the characters don't seem like people from that time period, but this one sounds like it had some even more basic problems. To be fair, there's a reason that good historical novels are hard to write.

It also used to drive me batty when the characters in time-travel novels take a long time to figure out what's happened. I have a little more tolerance for that now, but still, I think they should have it down within a chapter or two so the action can move on.

Again, thanks for suffering thru this for us. Great review.
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”