Official Review: Contact and Conflict by Don Foxe

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Official Review: Contact and Conflict by Don Foxe

Post by Scerakor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Contact and Conflict" by Don Foxe.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Earth has finally been united into a single government, humans have acquired advanced space-flight technology, and Captain Cooper is about to take the state-of-the-art Space Fleet Patrol Torpedo Class #109 (SFPT-109) on a two-week test flight before it becomes fully operational. Captain Cooper, a genetically improved test-pilot, is joined on the SFPT-109 by Genna, a genetically engineered human that was “created” in order to interface with the ship’s AI. During their test-flight, Captain Cooper discovers more than just his ship’s limitations, he also discovers an alien refugee ship and makes Earth’s first contact with another race. Contact and Conflict by Don Foxe is a fast-paced science-fiction novel that throws the human race head over heels into an interstellar conflict that only they can help resolve.

After Captain Cooper and the SFPT-109 make contact with the alien ship in the vicinity of Neptune, they quickly find out that this ship is full of 240,000 aliens fleeing the evil Zenge race that have attacked their home planet. They barely made it away from the battle and now are quickly running out of supplies. The technology of this cruise liner (now refugee ship) is significantly inferior to that of the humans and they will never make Earth or Mars in order to re-supply. Not only are supplies crucially low, the Zenge may pursue the craft through the wormhole at any moment to finish off the limping ship. Captain Cooper decides to stay behind with the alien ship and send Genna back to Mars as soon as possible so she can bring back help.

Aboard the ship, Captain Cooper makes humanity’s official first contact with a number of alien races, does whatever he can in order prepare for the inevitable Zenge attack, and even makes some (extremely) personal relationships with some of the female aliens aboard. Together with the two Fell (female warrior race) and the Osperantue captain of the cruise ship, they strategize on how to beat the Zenge and hope that the SFPT-109 makes it back in time for the fight.

Contact and Conflict is an excellent tale about humanity’s first contact and how they are thrown into a role as a protector for alien underdogs. Not only does the “humanity meets aliens for the first time” story stand on its own, there are many aspects of this book that make it stand out from that traditional storyline. The space-battles are extremely intense and well thought out, the interactions between Captain Cooper and the different alien races is excellently written, the examples of both exemplary and poor leadership in duress is fantastic, and everything is thrown into a “just far enough” future to still be relatable. My favourite parts of this book, besides the contact story (I have a penchant for the unknown and for survival stories) were the strategy and the space-battles. It shows that Mr. Foxe has put a lot of thought into the militaristic tactics of fighting a space-based war on a 3-dimensional battlefield and it comes off fantastically.

My only issues with this book are not necessarily detrimental to the story line, but ever present in books like these. It always just so happens that the characters in these novels are the fastest, brightest, strongest and most brilliant tacticians (even to the point of being genetically engineered to be so!) Captain Cooper is able to best multiple aliens in hand-to-hand combat because of his super-strength and those Fell he has just met happen to be some of the brightest communications engineers in the universe. Go figure! As well, there is some amazing last minute solutions to problems that come up throughout the story that borders on Deux Ex Machina. I completely understand that this is a science-fiction novel and the genre is riddled with futuristic technology and superior beings, but you definitely need to keep this point in mind while reading the novel.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and since it had me on the edge of my seat until the end, I give it 4 out of 4 stars. This book is highly recommended for any lovers of the sci-fi genre, those that are attracted to a book with an epic battle or two in space, or a lovers of a good underdog/hero story. If sci-fi is not your cup of tea, or if you are bothered by your heroes finding impossible solutions after they’ve painted themselves into a corner, this may not be for you. I have just read that the second book in this series is coming out soon and I will likely jump at the chance to continue reading the saga.

Contact and Conflict
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Scerakor's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

Excellent and thorough review! Every once a while I'm in the mood for some sci-fi, and this sounds like a really good book. The only thing that might slightly bother me is the "impossible solutions," but the story line sounds like enough to keep me interested.
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

This is fantastic! Ilove the thought that humans through their creations are saving aliens. Unlike the traditional stories that the safety of the human race is at the mercy of the aliens.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
Scerakor
Currently Reading:

Post by Scerakor »

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:This is fantastic! Ilove the thought that humans through their creations are saving aliens. Unlike the traditional stories that the safety of the human race is at the mercy of the aliens.
Although it is up to the humans... I do have to caveat the the technology that means that we are more advanced than these other aliens, was left behind on Mars for us to find and reverse engineer. It should make little difference in your mind here though, as it is still our actions that are required. Thanks for the comment!

-- 10 Apr 2017, 07:24 --
Kitkat3 wrote:Excellent and thorough review! Every once a while I'm in the mood for some sci-fi, and this sounds like a really good book. The only thing that might slightly bother me is the "impossible solutions," but the story line sounds like enough to keep me interested.
It was definitely a full-up science fiction book that will keep you flipping page after page. The "impossible solution" is not more than anything usually seen in this genre, but still noticeable. **Desperately tries to think of a popular sci-fi example** Think of movie "Independence Day" and how there were no issues with computer engineers from here easily creating a virus and uploading it to the mother ship to cause total destruction... a little too easy? Still fun to watch/read. Thanks for the comment!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! This really does sound like something I need to put on my to read list. Kind of reminiscent of Star Trek. Sounds like you really enjoyed it! Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Scerakor
Currently Reading:

Post by Scerakor »

kandscreeley wrote:Wow! This really does sound like something I need to put on my to read list. Kind of reminiscent of Star Trek. Sounds like you really enjoyed it! Thanks!
I unfortunately haven't had extensive exposure to Star Trek, but from what I have seen, I can see the similarities. Multiple races on the bridge of an advanced space vessel strategising how to survive the incoming attacks. Thanks for the comment and the comparison!
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

An utopian concept indeed - the Earth united under a single government! Will never happen in a trillion years, but that is what science fantasy novels are made of. I'm not really a fan of Sci-Fi, but I might need to check this action-packed one out.
A very good review.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Scerakor
Currently Reading:

Post by Scerakor »

Chrys Brobbey wrote:An utopian concept indeed - the Earth united under a single government! Will never happen in a trillion years, but that is what science fantasy novels are made of. I'm not really a fan of Sci-Fi, but I might need to check this action-packed one out.
A very good review.
Thank you for your comment. Just to be perfectly clear, the comment about the single government was almost entirely to set the stage. It may come into play more heavily over the next couple of books, but it was wholly on the periphery of the story itself! The book was almost completely focused on first contact and defense.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Your review did an awesome job at selling the book and it's upcoming sequel. I also am not a fan of how the characters just happen to be the best at fighting and the smartest people ever. It kinda takes away from us folks being able to fully relate with the characters because sometimes they seem too perfect and God knows we ain't perfect.
Scerakor
Currently Reading:

Post by Scerakor »

Jaime Lync wrote:Your review did an awesome job at selling the book and it's upcoming sequel. I also am not a fan of how the characters just happen to be the best at fighting and the smartest people ever. It kinda takes away from us folks being able to fully relate with the characters because sometimes they seem too perfect and God knows we ain't perfect.
That's a great point; it's all about being relatable. Some of the books that become cult classics fit with their audience because the readers can see themselves beside, or in the shoes of, their favorite characters. It reminds me of reading Ender's Game as a young boy, and I can definitely see Harry Potter as having a similar effect. With super human characters, we kind of get lost... Thanks for the comment!
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

"A fast-paced science-fiction novel that throws the human race head over heels into an interstellar conflict that only they can help resolve"? Sounds intriguing. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I agree that sometimes the perfection of these types of characters can be a bit annoying and unrealistic. Seems like this aspect isn't too detrimental to the plot though! I'm excited to read this one; I've always been a big fan of science fiction! I'm glad this one is suspenseful. Great review :)
Julianne Gene
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Julianne Gene »

i 'm reall not into sci-fi but as I read this it had risen my curiosoty about the existence of different aliens. do they reall exist?
Cheeky
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 22">Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks</a>
Currently Reading: Lost Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheeky.html
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Cheeky »

Aliens and human beings? This story haas quite the twist... Alian superficialstories -are not my fave kinda book,but Great job on your reveiw- very thorouogh.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

It sounds like this is a well written choice for fans of futuristic sci-fi! I don't always love the deus-ex-machina endings as they can feel very formulaic but it sounds like this story has enough other unique elements to keep it interesting.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”