Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Perses (Nomad Series Book Three)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.

Official Review: Perses (Nomad Series Book Three)

Post Number:#1 by Vickyoreo86
» 17 Mar 2017, 08:03

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of Perses: Nomad Series Book Three by K. A. Finn]

Perses: Nomad Series Book Three by K. A. Finn is a Science Fiction novel following straight on from the ending of the second book, Nemesis. The story follows Bray, a commander of the Hunter Clan with some cyborg qualities, and ex convict Wade Garvan. They had previously been trapped aboard a Foundation Ship heading for Earth, in to the heart of their enemies. Perses follows their attempt to hide and flee Earth without detection. The Council of Earth are corrupted, family ties have been broken and the two men are unsure who they can trust and, beneath it all is a terrible secret only one of them knows. A secret that frightens the Leader of the Council who will stop at nothing to keep it hidden.

Perses is a very well written book with great character development. While the second book in the series was full of action, intense scenes and touches of romance, this book leans more towards humour and camaraderie. Bray and Garvan have some fantastic verbal banter which strengthens their relationship and creates a bond with the reader. This connection between the reader and character also sends you through some emotional twists and turns as you read.

I like that I found myself caring deeply for these two men. I was worried about every situation they found themselves in. I became critical of anyone new entering their lives because of the deep distrust they have for those on Earth, including family. I also like how the author throws in more questions as one piece of the story is wrapped up, leaving us with the realisation that there are far deeper layers to the plot opening the way for the next book.

I would have liked a little more action in the book. While the ending left me biting my nails, I felt there were more opportunities to build relationships or have their impossible plans go a little less smoothly. It would have been nice to have more tension. Some action scenes fell a little flat at times because of this.

I believe that Perses and the entire Nomad series is a great starting place for those who want to try the Sci-Fi genre. It is not overwhelmed by the genre's jargon or complicated contraptions that need many pages to describe or explain. It is an easy reading space opera with humour and some light romance. Perses is a fairly short book but stays in your mind with memorable dialogue and witty moments that had me smiling and shaking my head at their antics. It offers strong male and female characters so all can enjoy it.

Perses is a strong 3 out of 4 star book. It has everything the genre needs; ships, futuristic medical kits and cyborgs. It has a good plot and clear direction. Unfortunately, I would have liked to see the characters struggle far more within the dangerous situation and terrain they faced. Some things happened a little too easily which stopped me from rating this as a 4 star. However, I am also looking forward to reading the next book in the series as I feel that Perses was only setting up for the next storyline.
“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences.”
― David Gemmell
Vickyoreo86's Latest Review: "Outback blues" by steve bowker
Vickyoreo86

Favorite Book: A Court of Mist and Fury
Currently Reading: Riders On The Storm
Bookshelf Size: 47 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 48%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Perses (Nomad Series Book Three)

Post Number:#2 by kandscreeley
» 20 Mar 2017, 08:24

It sounds like there was a little bit left too be desired in this book. I'm glad that you enjoyed it. Thanks for the review!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "CBD Made Easy!" by Mary Minchin
kandscreeley

Currently Reading: The Maid of Salerno
Bookshelf Size: 59 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 43%

Post Number:#3 by Ripley3131
» 21 Mar 2017, 13:16

Nice review. Thanks. Sounds like a good book.
Ripley3131's Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Ripley3131

Favorite Author: S.E. Sasaki
Currently Reading: Earth Rising
Bookshelf Size: 76 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 55 Books
Goal Completion: 56%

Post Number:#4 by Vickyoreo86
» 06 Apr 2017, 09:09

kandscreeley wrote:It sounds like there was a little bit left too be desired in this book. I'm glad that you enjoyed it. Thanks for the review!

Thank you!

and yes It did have that element, but I am hoping it was needed for the set up of the next book.
“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences.”
― David Gemmell
Vickyoreo86

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#5 by rssllue
» 06 Apr 2017, 09:35

Very nice review. It sounds like an interesting plot line and one that keeps you guessing throughout the story. Nice job!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
rssllue's Latest Review: "Lost Bastards" by L. Todd Wood
rssllue
Beardmaster of Bookshelves

Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 333 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 190 Books
Goal Completion: 21%

Post Number:#6 by Vickyoreo86
» 06 Apr 2017, 09:53

rssllue wrote:Very nice review. It sounds like an interesting plot line and one that keeps you guessing throughout the story. Nice job!

Thank you very much. The series is fun
― David Gemmell
Vickyoreo86

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#7 by rssllue
» 06 Apr 2017, 10:25

You are most welcome! I might just give it a go in the future thanks to your review. :)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
rssllue's Latest Review: "Lost Bastards" by L. Todd Wood
rssllue
Beardmaster of Bookshelves

Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 333 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 190 Books
Goal Completion: 21%