Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Adventures in space & fiction fa...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.

Official Review: Adventures in space & fiction fa...

Post Number:#1 by H0LD0Nthere
» 01 Mar 2017, 21:44

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard.]

Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Review by H0LD0Nthere
Share This Review

This book consists of a collection of four short stories starring Jim Long, Space Agent, about whom the author has already written five books. Jim Long works for the Galactic Police Federation, and his specialty is out-of-body travel. Whenever a strange event occurs or a crime is committed that involves interdimensional travel (also called astral travel), Jim is on the case. He is never without his colleagues Gail “Frosty” Farmer and Norman “Nobby” Clarke.

As we might expect in such a book, the setting assumes that the universe has been colonized by man, and contains many habitable planets populated by intelligent and less-intelligent aliens. At its best, this book represents a fantastic tour through the many different environments in this fictional universe. We meet many interesting aliens, each with their own “national character” or personality.

But the author’s real interest is not in the physical environment of planets, but in other dimensions. Most of the travel and action takes place in other dimensions. Long and company have a bracelet that allows them to leave their bodies and search for villains through interdimensional space. Other characters travel through other dimensions through the use of such things as portals, a magic chair, or in one case a huge, mysterious, seemingly divine sphere.

The stories are strongest when they are basically interdimensional crime thrillers with many twists and turns. Imagine how difficult it would be to catch a crook who has access to interdimensional travel. Perhaps this is why, in none of these stories is Jim Long the one who actually brings the bad guy down. The bad guy is always brought down through his own rashness or hubris as he attempts astral travel. As Long cautions more than one villain, “Interdimensional travel is dangerous.” That is a major theme of this book.

The book is less effective, in my opinion, when it gets into metaphysics. This is especially true in the first of the four stories, which is less a crime story than an extended tour of what seems to be an inadequately researched, poorly thought-out “divine sphere” which is apparently God and communicates by causing strings of formulas and equations to swirl around the characters’ heads. The three space agents enter it and tour, as Jim puts it, “a celestial ultra-multi-dimensional reality.” They see some beautiful landscapes and control things with their thoughts. It seems at this point as if the author is mostly just making up things that he thinks would be cool, rather than trying to put together a coherent picture of what interdimensional reality might be like, or why.

The mechanics of the writing are painfully bad. This book desperately needs an editor. Almost every page features run-on sentences and misused participles. The dialogue tends to consist of obvious clichés.

For example, when reading the divine sphere story, I got the impression that the character Norman was a practical type who didn’t claim to know much about other dimensions. I found out in subsequent stories that he’s just dumb as a box of rocks, like when Gail has to explain to him that when she said “Nice guy” about the villain, she was being sarcastic. (I know Norman’s an engineer, but everyone understands that level of sarcasm!) Gail, meanwhile, is spunky and is constantly joking around with Jim, but the jokes tend to be plodding, and almost every time she makes even a mildly snappy comeback, Jim responds with, “Always the last word, Frosty.”

I give this book two out of four stars. My message to the author: More aliens, less metaphysics, and please get an editor!

Adventures in space & fiction fantasy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like H0LD0Nthere's review? Post a comment saying so!
H0LD0Nthere

Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Adventures in space & fiction fa...

Post Number:#2 by ijaz555
» 26 Apr 2017, 00:01

this will be interesting one because of searching new aliens.
ijaz555

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8 books

Post Number:#3 by Chrys Brobbey
» 26 Apr 2017, 01:10

I hope the author takes it in good faith to get an editor, as suggested. The output could achieve a higher rating then. A good review.
Chrys Brobbey

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 18%

Post Number:#4 by JAtoms
» 28 Apr 2017, 01:03

Author can get a good book editor to help clear little errors found in this book
JAtoms

Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Socerer's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 28 books

Post Number:#5 by Amagine
» 28 Apr 2017, 06:22

The book sounds like it has some potential. It's sad when a book is poorly edited and thus it becomes hard to read the story.

Great Review! 📰
There's no such thing as a kid who hates reading. There are kids who love reading, and kids who are reading the wrong books."-James Patterson
Amagine

Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Writing for Children and Teens
Currently Reading: Heavy Sketches - Volume II
Bookshelf Size: 614 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 37%

Post Number:#6 by kandscreeley
» 01 May 2017, 12:01

Well, it sounds like this is a good idea, but it isn't well executed. Thanks for the review, but I don't think I'll be picking this one up.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "Fleeting Visions" by Rene Natan
kandscreeley

Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 66 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 50%