Official Review: A Kingdom Forgotten

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adrienne Dawn
Currently Reading: The Obsession
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrienne-dawn.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Re: Official Review: A Kingdom Forgotten

Post by Adrienne Dawn »

If the book is accurately represented by the free sample I read on Amazon, I believe this review to also be very accurate. I thought the map and other items shown in the free preview were really intriguing. However, the long sentences made it difficult for me to stay focused.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Richard Arup Banarje
Currently Reading: My Dad, My Dog
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Richard Arup Banarje »

"A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
instructions of this book about how to read it will help some to enjoy this. but it;s really hard to enjoy it because of its hard language. if this book comes with simple sentences it will be much easier to read.. no one wants to think hard when he/she read a book to understand meaning..
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: The Witching Hour
Bookshelf Size: 3840
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

I like the idea of the complexity, but I'm wondering if it will be hard for me to get what's going on as well. I guess we shall see. It still sounds like a very interesting story. Thanks for your objective review. I enjoyed reading it.
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

It seems clear that this book would require a substantial time investment. I do like the idea that the characters are neither purely good nor evil but primarily self-interested. It's a little closer to real life.
Derrick
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Derrick »

This is an interesting book
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Congrats on the review. Sounds like a complex plot.
Jonn Wangunyu
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jonn Wangunyu »

It is good to read it but a bit complex to me.
anamcara
Bookshelf Size: 511
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anamcara.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by anamcara »

Wow! The sample I've read...not even sure where to classify it! Fantasy? Check. Science Fiction? Check. Thriller? Check again. This story sounds so insanely deep, complex and intriguing that I can't wait to get my hands on it to read!
"Of the knowledge of man, nothing is more unintelligible than the
human heart."

-Homer
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

It seems like a complicated book to follow, but I'm also intrigued by how good it is if you stick to it to understand what is going on & can keep track of the characters.
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

Nice, honest review! However, the book seems too long for me, so I might not pick it up.
abhishek7081
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by abhishek7081 »

When I started this book, I seriously questioned what I got myself into. I was so very, very confused. There were so many time jumps from place to place and character to character that I never thought that my head would stop spinning. I almost decided not to finish this book. But, I stayed with it. And I am so incredibly glad that I did.

McDonald does rely on a lot of point of view and time changes. However, this book would not be as well-written or as gripping if he had chosen to write it any other way. The time changes that once confused me soon became little bits of excitement as I watched the story move around and character lines connect. It was amazing to watch all of the characters interact as they befriended, loved, and betrayed each other.

McDonald presents his audience with a plethora of characters. Of these, my favorite was Damon. His personality swings between troubled and just sheer trouble. Damon definitely enjoys his power and shows it through his arrogance. I loved seeing what that huge mind of his would think up next! Radin on the other hand, I found rather whiny and annoying. I really liked him at the beginning of the novel, but as his powers progressed, he changed. And, I did not like the changes that occurred.

Despite the parts of this book that I absolutely loved, it was a bit complex in the beginning. I would have preferred for that to gain a little bit more complexity as the book developed. I would have also appreciated more character development. While I felt that Radin and Damon were very well-developed, I would have loved to learn more about Eldrac, Talemar, and Evanyil. Evanyil is mentioned so many times, but she is never fully explained enough for the audience to be as awed by her as the characters seem to be.

Overall, I truly enjoyed reading this book.
Yourbaddie
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Yourbaddie »

Nice one.

-- 12 Mar 2017, 01:19 --

Wooow

-- 12 Mar 2017, 01:26 --

I like it a lot. The sci fi genre is my favourite.the story is amazing, but some parts of it need reconstruction.The novel itself is intriguing :geek2: :geek2:
Texas_Jazz2016
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 7394">Into the Fire</a>
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-texas-jazz2016.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by Texas_Jazz2016 »

Thanks for the review of this complicated book. I read the sample and was so lost I decided not to read the book. Sci-Fi really isn't my preference either, but kudos to you for sticking in there to the finish.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives only one. George RR Martin
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Queen Noe
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queen-noe.html

Post by Queen Noe »

I personally couldn't push through. The approach was too complex for me that i failed to understand what exactly i was reading about. At least i understood just how evil Damon was from the first pages:-[
Nilu arya
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nilu-arya.html

Post by Nilu arya »

Complicated and intense novel needs patience to be connected .storyline is good but a bit lengthy would always prefer to read light one

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”