Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: L.I.F.E. in the 23rd Century

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.

Official Review: L.I.F.E. in the 23rd Century

Post Number:#1 by dhwanis
» 24 Feb 2017, 02:07

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "L.I.F.E. in the 23rd Century" by Jason R. Richter.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by dhwanis
Share This Review

Technology has now enveloped all human interactions. L.I.F.E. in the 23rd Century by Jason R. Richter takes us into a dystopian world where human lives are overly dependent on technology. The story is set in America in the year 2233. Each citizen is fixed with a L.I.F.E computer installed inside their bodies at birth, which they can control with a mouse fixed inside their mouth. P. McGewan-XO4 finds himself in a hospital after an accident. He is told that due to a technical fault, a large box had fallen on his car and as he was standing quite close to his car, he had sustained major injuries that had made him lose his consciousness for last four days. He is discharged from the hospital with a headache that does not seem to leave him. Once out from the hospital, he can suddenly hear other people talking. He initially jots it down to getting used to his L.I.F.E. again. Although a dystopian novel L.I.F.E. in the 23rd Century is a social commentary on what happens when the Government controls each and every decision of the citizens by instilling patriotism and reducing their thinking abilities. The book reminded me of 1984 by George Orwell, although since this book focussed more on the technology and how people become dependent on technology, this book felt eerily realistic.

The story is full of complex and varied characters, this was a feat in itself and in the book's world any actual interactions was frowned upon, to the extent that P. McGewan-XO4, or Pat, is actually surprised to see his wife working as a nurse in the hospital, he had no idea that his wife lived in the same city as their interactions were limited to calls. The story actually starts getting interesting when Pat meets Sameer when he is out looking for medicines for his headache. This interaction further leads him to a library where he meets Herb, who helps Pat through his journey of discovering himself and the lies that the Government has been feeding him.

The most fascinating aspect of the novel is that even though this story is born from the figment of the author's imagination, it brings out a lot of parallels to kind of habits, the media influence and the political climate that we see in countries around the world. Media has now become powerful, and each channel would go to extreme lengths to twist facts to create sensationalism.

Even though the book is set in futuristic America, it appealed to me as an Indian as the issues that the author has highlighted are what many countries are experiencing as well. The overall story line and the message that has been given is truly global.

L.I.F.E. in the 23rd Century is a dystopian story that is well written and has a strong story line. The author manages to draw parallels to what we see around the world and makes us think about the impact of our actions. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to everyone who likes fiction, more specifically, reading about dystopian worlds.

L.I.F.E. in the 23rd Century
View: on Bookshelves

Like dhwanis's review? Post a comment saying so!
dhwanis

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 36%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: L.I.F.E. in the 23rd Century

Post Number:#2 by kandscreeley
» 24 Feb 2017, 10:22

I love dystopian novels, and this sounds like a good one. It's always interesting to see an author's take on what the future may or may not be liked. Thanks for the review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "A Light in the Dark" by Kelly Bedford
kandscreeley

Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 68 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 52%

Post Number:#3 by dhwanis
» 25 Feb 2017, 06:04

kandscreeley wrote:I love dystopian novels, and this sounds like a good one. It's always interesting to see an author's take on what the future may or may not be liked. Thanks for the review.

They are my favourite too! Please let me know your thoughts on it if you do pick it up!
dhwanis

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 36%

Post Number:#4 by MarisaRose
» 01 Mar 2017, 13:48

This one sounds really different! I like that the author has made the premise relatable to today's society. It's scary to think where technology will take us in the next few years/decades. Thanks for the well written and insightful review :)
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose's Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
MarisaRose

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 172%

Post Number:#5 by abel hlabjane kau
» 08 Mar 2017, 04:55

This is very fascinating book of a life still to come and indeed as a human population around the
globe we're heading towards that life with the technology changing every day!!
abel hlabjane kau

Bookshelf Size: 0 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books

Post Number:#6 by Luxmi
» 11 Mar 2017, 10:48

This is the upcoming reality about human beings in this book .I like it
Luxmi

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0 books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#7 by Ripley3131
» 13 Mar 2017, 11:24

I'm a big George Orwell fan. This sounds intriguing. It is difficult as a writer to successfully depict story's like this. I will check it out. Thanks.
Ripley3131's Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Ripley3131

Favorite Author: S.E. Sasaki
Currently Reading: Until Morning Comes
Bookshelf Size: 78 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 55 Books
Goal Completion: 60%

Post Number:#8 by reviews_by_yana
» 04 Apr 2017, 14:50

This review made me think about the movie iBoy that I recently saw, although this book appears to have a more dystopian theme than the movie. This book sounds interesting mostly because of the uncanny resemblance to how society seems to be progressing. I would love to read this book and I'm interested to see other works by this writer.
reviews_by_yana

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:

Post Number:#9 by Sal the Gal
» 09 Apr 2017, 11:02

Having read your review I really want to read this book. Well Done.
:D
Sal the Gal

Favorite Book: Stig's Flight of Encounters
Currently Reading: Bishop's War
Bookshelf Size: 6 books