Official Review: The Time Stone by Jeffrey Estrella

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
breyfoglese
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-breyfoglese.html
Latest Review: "The Time Stone" by Jeffrey Estrella

Official Review: The Time Stone by Jeffrey Estrella

Post by breyfoglese »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Time Stone" by Jeffrey Estrella.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

While a creative concept, The Time Stone, by Jeffrey Estrella, ultimately requires more editing for both form and content before it realizes its full potential. The story is wide-reaching and, while exciting, fairly unfocused, and the characterization requires development to become compelling. I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars.

The Time Stone follows a band of four misfits as they attempt to unravel a galactic conspiracy, battle fantastic monsters, and ultimately save all of humanity from a future catastrophe. The protagonist, James Timewalker, is a homeless deadbeat who is accused of a murder he did not commit and somehow simultaneously develops an implausible set of superpowers, including visions of other times and telekinesis. His high school friend Tina, who accompanies him, sports an equally implausible number of languages and skills, despite dropping out of her undergraduate program to work as a prostitute. Milton Drax, the ex-villain trying to bring down the organization he used to work for, and Mercedes Gonzales, perhaps the only functioning adult in the group, complete the main quartet.

The Time Stone is undeniably entertaining. Action strays from the distant future to approximately 14 Million B.C.E., with fun, if absurd elements such as a flying car, space pirates, and a veritable avalanche of prophecies. Unfortunately, the poor editing obscures the enjoyment. The tense of the writing frequently switches in the middle of a paragraph, and spelling and grammar errors render some sentences amusingly unintelligible. Structurally, many key elements are introduced and never resolved, or else handled too quickly. Perhaps the strongest examples of this rushed pace are the romances; both James and Mercedes meet, fall in love, and in Mercedes’ case, get engaged to their partner, in the space of only a handful of pages. This hasty treatment renders the romances uninteresting at best and ridiculous at worst.

Character development also suffers. All the women present are beautiful, capable, and entirely one-dimensional, and most of the male characters are explicitly described as lusting after at least one. The majority of the major female characters have a tragic past of rape or violence, which is stated but never explored. The men are scarcely more developed; James is described as “a young man in his late thirties” at one point and “in his mid-thirties” in another, while a minor character is described as being exactly seventy-seven years old. Such inconsistencies indicate a lack of character development. Additionally, James in particular seems to possess no distinctive qualities – his special destiny is never explained and never seems particularly warranted. His powers serve as more of a deus ex machina than any kind of entertaining advantage.

Ultimately, The Time Stone reads like an unedited first draft. Some elements are strong, engaging, and exciting, but they are rare and require some excavation from the grammatical and spelling errors. I would not recommend this book for the average reader, although someone looking to create an exciting table-top roleplaying game might find some compelling inspiration in its pages. However, with some significant revisions, The Time Stone could take on new life and, like the characters in its narrative, change its future.

The Time Stone
View: on Bookshelves

Like breyfoglese's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "The Time Stone" by Jeffrey Estrella
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

This books almost sounds unreal to me, but oh well. I enjoyed reading through your review.
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Zelinda »

I liked that you were able to find some good points to illustrate in what appears to me to be a pretty flawed book. If the author can take the constructive criticism and rework the book, it might end up being one I would enjoy.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emie Cuevas »

I love the premise of this book! I look forward to the second edition coming out. Hopefully the mistakes will have been fixed and I can enjoy it properly.
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

The premise of the book has a lot of promise and the characters sound really interesting. Hopefully the author can fix some of the issues you mentioned. Thanks for your review!
P
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
Ferdinand Wem
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ferdinand Wem »

The story is so enjoyable especially for me who loves fiction and fantasy. Looking forward for second edition.
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Post by Bluecobia »

I like science fiction but it sounds like this is one I can skip.
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert
Chene Mienie 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chene-mienie-1.html
Latest Review: A Dead End Job by Justin Alcala

Post by Chene Mienie 1 »

I tried my shot at this book and I could not finish it, I agree with your review 100%, you definitely put it into the words I couldn't, there was just to much going on at one time in it and it really did feel unfocused, i commend you for finishing it.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”