Official Review: The EDEN Democratic Kingdom

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: The EDEN Democratic Kingdom

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The EDEN Democratic Kingdom" by Michel Pelletier.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The EDEN Democratic Kingdom is a work of fiction by Michel Pelletier. The year is 2048. Michael, the president of Canaventour Marine, has an idea to create an island in the ocean. This island would be home to endangered species as well as a great tourist attraction, but more than that it would be self-sufficient, answering to no one, and even governing itself. It would be called EDEN.

The review of this book is the most difficult I have done to date. I always hope that my reviews are used by the author to correct issues and produce a better product going forward. However, I am not sure that this book can be salvaged for, while there were moments of brilliance, the issues vastly outweigh those few moments.

Although we rarely think of this, the issue of most importance in any book is whether the author can express himself clearly in the language which he has chosen to write. The book takes place mostly in Canada, where the author is from. Mr. Pelletier is French speaking, which becomes very clear in the book. I found many of the usual grammatical errors which indicate poor editing, but I also found phrases that were just badly worded. For example, the author is trying to express that the children are telling their father goodbye, and he uses the phrase “greet their father farewell.” This is one of many examples of inadequate phrasing. If the author chooses to write in English, he must have a good grasp of the language to be understood but here that is in question.

Putting aside the weak use of the English language, the author does an abominable job developing the plot. Chapter one informs us of Michael and the “umbrella project,” but we don’t find out what that actually is until much later in the story. Although we are introduced to Michael in chapter one, we don’t even find out he has children until chapter seven. The author then does little to develop Michael or his wife and children as characters. One of the few moments in which we find out the author actually does know how to tell a story is, in fact, in chapter seven. He devotes this chapter to a back story about Michael’s wife Ghyslaine, her biological mother, as well as a sister named Isabelle she didn’t know she had. After that, the focus is more on the island itself than any of the characters.

Perhaps the most disappointing part of the novel is the amount of technical detail that the author has included. The first half of the novel discusses the actual process of building the island, while the second half is devoted to the island becoming a sovereign entity in and of itself. While I appreciate the time that the author has taken to fully develop the business aspects of this novel, as a reader, I do not need nor do I want to know every single detail. Mr. Pelletier regales us with chapter after chapter of exact specifications for materials as well as the financial details of how those materials are to be acquired. For example, we are told that there are “two hundred and eighteen armored cement floor slabs.” All of these minutiae left me feeling as if I was reading the minutes to a business meeting instead of a fiction novel.

One last thing that bears mentioning is the “Christian” aspect of this novel. The description from Amazon states that “Christian values…are also brought forward.” If you are going to tout that you are using “Christian values,” it needs to be a focus in the story. While the author does throw in a so-called statement of faith here and there, nothing Christian is a part of the plot. Not only that, but the characters do not seem to live Christian lives, often using violence and deception to get their way. Mr. Pelletier would have been better off not having mentioned anything of “Christian values.”

The EDEN Democratic Kingdom was a very grueling, difficult read. The novel was so heavy on technicalities and business details that the author failed to develop the plot or the characters. Therefore I must rate this book a 1 out of 4. Unfortunately, I would not recommend the reading of this book to anyone.

The EDEN Democratic Kingdom
View: on Bookshelves

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Wow! Such a great review for a not so great book. I am glad that you were able to finish this in order to warn us not to bother reading. Thanks.
Abfaniki
Currently Reading: Arturo Riojas
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abfaniki.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Abfaniki »

Those the book have a political aspect. nice review will stay away from this.
nice book title thus :tiphat:
opinion is like ass, everyone has one and it's full of sh*t. :D :lol: :o :(
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Jaime. I hate giving 1 star ratings, but it can't be helped.

Thanks Abfaniki for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman
Wesono
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesono.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Wesono »

Wow! The title however, made me think it's a very interesting book.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

I was hoping for good things from it. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

At first sight, the book showed great promise. I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy the book. Thanks for a review like yours. I'll definitely skip this one.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Great review. Must have been a difficult book to read.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Wow, what an excellent review. Like you, I find these types of reviews so difficult to write.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks bookowlie. I read this one back in February. It stuck with me, though. It just wasn't that great.
—Neil Gaiman
Ashley Nestler
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-nestler.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ashley Nestler »

Thank you for your great review! I love how even though you didn't like the book, you justified your reasoning and gave a full explanation of the parts of the novel that didn't work for you. You are an awesome reviewer!
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other, but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."

—Charles Bukowski
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Ashley Nestler. I know everyone is different, so I like to give my reasoning.
—Neil Gaiman
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

Great Review! I am sorry it was a difficult read! Hopefully the author will see the errors and go back and revamp the novel!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks jemgirl202! Sometimes there are just TOO many details. That was definitely the case here.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”