February Book of the Month -- Official Review by MarisaRose

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Re: February Book of the Month -- Official Review by MarisaR

Post by bluegreenmarina »

Interesting concept though I agree that the religious aspect seems a bit out there... I bet the bits of history that are referenced also make this for a more satisfying read than just a straight fantasy would have been.
SandraTWP-BRW
Currently Reading: 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandratwp-brw.html
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by SandraTWP-BRW »

I read this book last month and enjoyed it immensely. I find it interesting that the contrasts between Buddhist and American cultures was so fascinating for you. While I found that part interesting, for me, it was the interweaving of the events of the Chinese shift to a communist government that captured my imagination - and how the author so skillfully used real events that are engrossing in their own right as a backdrop for the mc's adventures. Nice job on the review - I enjoyed reading your persective.
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
Mindy_M
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... delible</a>
Currently Reading: Untamed
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-m.html

Post by Mindy_M »

Silvermoon wrote:This book seems to have an interesting premise, although the religious aspects of is seem a little off. I'm okay with Jesus not being from earth, but am a little confused by the Buddhist aggression. Your review is thorough and helpful. Great job!
Out of curiosity, are you familiar with Buddhist views? They seek Nirvana, a concept that is free of pain and suffering. Humanity is full of pain and suffering, so really they try to transcend all of that mortality/human stuff. I'm really awful at explaining Buddhist concepts. (I apologize to all Buddhists!) It's not quite far-fetched that a Buddhist immortal would view prolonged human life as punishment. The human shell is full of pain, whether it is emotional or physical. To stay in that shell is to stay grounded to Earth. Needless to say, that's not transcending anything and that's not finding Nirvana. So staying a human is not seeking Nirvana, which is like seeing punishment. Instead of letting your essence transcend, you're forcing it to stay put. Definitely a form of punishment. Sure, it may stretch it a little, but I can see it.
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

Nice review! It sounds like something that would be interesting and different to read. However, the unusual view on the religious themes is off-putting. I haven't decided if I want to read this book.
Cheeky
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 22">Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks</a>
Currently Reading: Lost Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheeky.html
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Cheeky »

Wow , I was amazed at this book. I love war stories . The characters portrayed were so explicit. Thanks Marisa rose for such a great review.
Mark Johnson
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mark-johnson.html
Latest Review: "USA, Inc." by Larry Kahaner

Post by Mark Johnson »

Great thorough review. Will have to check the book out. Thank you.
Latest Review: "USA, Inc." by Larry Kahaner
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

Great review! I was intrigued by the sample, and your review summarised plot points I'm interested in reading more about. Definitely an interesting integration of concepts.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

This is great review. However after reading the review i am thinking not to read this book as the books that cover the topics of religion and also detailing the horrifying acts of cruelty are not my cup of tea. Thank you again for the detailed insight into the book
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
dbrooks8109
Currently Reading: The Buried Pyramid
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbrooks8109.html
Latest Review: "Wrong Turn, Right Guy" by Haylie B. Fox
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by dbrooks8109 »

Awesome review! You really captured the essence of the book without revealing too much! I can't wait to read this book!
Latest Review: "Wrong Turn, Right Guy" by Haylie B. Fox
Hneite
Currently Reading: The Great Hunt
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reading Device: B0B3PSRHHN

Post by Hneite »

I like it when you have a mix of historical facts and pure fantasy so this one might be in my ally. But I'm not sure the book benefits from the Jesus reference.
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

Congratulations on such a well-written review! I have come to like fictional books with a touch of history in them. As for this book, immortality gave the protagonist a lot of other powers, so I'm excited to know how he used this powers over time.
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

Great review, very interesting stuff and you make the book sound great! Thanks!
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
Cjgarland89
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjgarland89.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Cjgarland89 »

Because this is history mixed with fantasy it makes it very appealing for me. I read this book earlier last month and I was surprised how much I liked it. This review helped a lot in figuring out if I'd want to read, because I wasn't convinced by the sample. Great job!
Esies98
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esies98.html

Post by Esies98 »

It doesnt sounds like a book for me, There are some things you mentioned in your review that made me feel uncomfortable about the plot, specially the "Jesus is not from this world" part and the fact that is not relevant in the story.
Brea_21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brea-21.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Brea_21 »

Great review! The review gave me insight into what the book is actually about. I do not think it is something I would be interested in but the story is interesting. The religious aspect may throw some people off from the book but I think it is a great incorporation. One would not think that religion could mix with magic in a book but this author seems to have done it. Thank you for the review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”