February Book of the Month -- Official Review by MarisaRose

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Re: February Book of the Month -- Official Review by MarisaRose

Post by Hhannahh »

This is an absolutely unique book, starting from the cover page. First, I wondered if immortality meant 14 years; then I was swept away by the amazing plot. I like me an extravagant work of fantasy, so I'll give this book a trial.
Brilliant review.
Last edited by Hhannahh on 09 Sep 2021, 23:24, edited 1 time in total.
Sarrikoziol
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarrikoziol.html
Latest Review: House of Cuts by June Gillam

Post by Sarrikoziol »

The story definitely has its own unique flare in the Sci-Fi world. Buddhism never even crossed my mind as I was reading. It will be interesting to see where the story flows.
Misguided angel means bad with good intentions
Swollen Members
revathy sw
Favorite Book: The Wind in the Willows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revathy-sw.html
Latest Review: Mithra by John M. Rattenbury

Post by revathy sw »

Immortality is a topic that holds a great deal of interest for me. This aspect of the story alone would have made me read this book. The fact that it also seems to have an amazing story, a great protagonist and antagonist, and the intermixing of different cultures, is just a bonus for me. This book is going straight to my TBR list. Thank you for the excellent review.
Saumya Guptaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saumya-guptaa.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Saumya Guptaa »

I like the author's take on immortality and would love to read the book to find out more. Two clashing ideologies and the classic trope of good vs. evil.
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unosthetic.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Unosthetic »

The title itself is intriguing. And the plot revolves around the Nazi era. Obviously, it is a historical novel, I have to pass on this one. Ain't a big fan of historical novels. Congrats on BOTD!
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

The story's premise of having a World War II soldier discover a way to be immortal is quite intriguing, especially if the means to be immortal is originally meant for Adolf Hitler.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

This does not seem as my type of read but I enjoyed reading your review. Thanks for a job well-done!
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Unique Ego »

Steve is in a precarious situation. His moral dilemma is one we can all relate to on some level: What would you do if you could live forever? How far would you be willing to go to attain such immortality? I wonder how Steve's life ends up.
BOOKNERD254
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booknerd254.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Post by BOOKNERD254 »

Interesting storyline with a fusion of two distinct cultures. Plus the historical setting in the era of the Nazi's is sublime. It seems like the book dwells mainly on the theme of death and subtle mentions of religion. I don't think its something I'd enjoy reading but wonderful review!
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

This is an interesting dilemma to have. Should he or should he not pursue immortality. The existence of immortality pills meant for Hitler is quite frightening. I look forward to seeing how Steven deals with them and what his final decision will be. Thank you for the insightful review.
Shelly-Ann Simon
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelly-ann-simon.html
Latest Review: The Drug-Free Sleep Solution: The Four-Week Program for Overcoming Insomnia Using Cognitive Behavioral Therapy by David Durocher

Post by Shelly-Ann Simon »

:( Steven's humanity was almost desecrated as a result of his experiences during the war. He stumbles upon pills that grants him immortality and a second chance at enjoying his life. His quest takes him to a Buddhist Monastery where he becomes embroiled in a battle between good and evil. This storyline is carried by the main character. Everything is seen through his eyes. I particularly liked the graphic descriptions provided by the author to give life to the 'realness' of the war. As well as the savage nature of human beings during these times. The one lesson which stands out for me with this work, is that a moral code, really is a personal ideology. Here we have two monks trained under the same code, "harm no living being," yet one longs for world domination. Fascinating! I think the reviewer captured this story well and did this book justice.
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

The book seems to follow totally different paths from the ones it starts with. I pretty much enjoy this turn of events; however I am a bit sceptical, considering that it practically becomes somewhere a book on religion, of whether the book turns into the road of covert proselytism, which I find a kind of a drawback since it doesn't seem to state it from the beginning. Thanks for a great review either way!
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Post by Peace Odii »

The historical account of the inhuman experiences during the Nazi is quite intense. I've read this history over and over again, and I wouldn't mind reading the part of this book.
kiki2881
Currently Reading: The diary of a little girl
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiki2881.html
Latest Review: The Neighbour At Number 18 (Reload) by Hawa Crickmore

Post by kiki2881 »

I hope there's no any forms of appropriation in this book, and I also hope Castello did his research about Buddhism, not to offend or smudge false information about the culture.
Atieno Magero
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

This is such a unique plot. I love the fact that there's character development for Steven. I agree that the idea of Jesus being from another planet is farfetched.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”