Official Review: A Witch in Time Saves Nine

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Official Review: A Witch in Time Saves Nine

Post by psychopathycathy »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Witch in Time Saves Nine" by Nikki Broadwell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Witch in Time Saves Nine follows Emeline Chase, who is a witch and has the power to go back in time to 1962 Salem. The problem is, she can't seem to control when or where she travels, and to make matters worse, everything little thing she does to try and stop the witch trials changes the future. Then Emeline meets Samoset, a Wampanoag Indian, and as she tries to control her powers, she starts to question just exactly where she belongs.

I rated this book a 4 out of 4 stars, because the plot was very engaging, the characters were three-dimensional, and the writing was very visual, which allowed me to immerse myself in the different worlds the author created.

Now, I'm normally not a fan of historical fiction, but I feel like the story does seem to also lean a little towards the fantasy genre, with a touch of romance. With that being said, I definitely would not firmly place this book into a specific category - which is a good thing, since I think it would appeal to a wide range of readers.

One very strong aspect of this book is definitely the different settings that the author created; because A Witch in Time Saves Nine is about time travel and includes alternate realities, it was always very important for each scene to be described clearly. Broadwell does an excellent job of this, and I was pleasantly surprised at the different scenes she was able to come up with, as well as how vividly she described them to the reader.

The characters of this are definitely very diverse, both in personality and in cultural background. Firstly, I commend the author for including a Native American element to the story, which made the book more realistic and added a lot of depth and background. Emeline was very relatable, and Broadwell's portrayal of her inner conflicts really amplified her emotional and intellectual growth as the story proceeded. Throughout the story, a number of side characters popped up, and I felt like each one had their own individual voice, no matter how small their parts may have been.

The plot of this book was a wild journey; there's no doubt that being a witch during the Salem witch trials would have made a good story, but Emeline's modern life was no walk in the park either. What this means in different terms, basically, is that you've got double the adventure in two timelines, both equally exciting and fun to read. The storyline definitely did not go the way I expected it to, and every twist and turn was unpredictable and engaging.

Overall, I would say that this book was definitely a very interesting read, and I would definitely recommend it to readers who like fantasy, time travel, history, and romance. The book wasn't very long, but it was a roller coaster ride from beginning to end.

A Witch in Time Saves Nine
View: on Bookshelves

Like psychopathycathy's review? Post a comment saying so!
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Insomniac07 »

This is such a good review. Based just on the cover and the synopsis, I wouldn't have picked this book up, but now I really want to read it. Glad you enjoyed the book.:)
Flowergirl
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Flowergirl »

The cover of this book caught my eye right away….the review sealed the deal. I will be getting this book sometime soon.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a great read. I've always been fascinated by witch stories, especially those set in Salem. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Nikki Broadwell on such a high rating.
Lady Countryrose
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-countryrose.html

Post by Lady Countryrose »

Intresting read and a new twist that everyone knows about the Salem witches. Time travel has always been a pull for me, when it comes to reading.
Shallon Natukunda
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by Shallon Natukunda »

Wow, the review of this books is attractive, this books must be interesting, I must read it, I love such stories.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The name of this book drew me in. It sounds fun. Right up my alley. I'll look into it. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

Nice review. My only question from it: does the book explain anything about HOW Emeline became a witch? That would be a major question for me as a reader.
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I love historical fiction, books on time travel, and witches. This book sounds like it would be great. I want wait to read it. Great review, thank you.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Sounds like a pretty good read, especially the mix of two different time periods. Thanks for the great review!
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Thanks for a great review. This is right down my alley. Time travel, twists, and turns, a little romance. Will add this one to my list
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I ordinarily would not be attracted to read this book, but after your review, I would consider it. You mentioned that Emeline, a witch, time travels, and the author describes alternate realities and the characters well. I can see how this could be a creative and unpredictable plot with unexpected conclusions.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Thank you for your insightful and detailed review. The blend of history, romance, mystery, and fantasy makes this piece seem interesting indeed.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Quickstudy
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quickstudy.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Quickstudy »

This book is filled adventure, mystery and love. The two stories woven together gives a complete understanding of the story.

Great review.
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Artizi »

Loved this review, really tempted me to give the book a try. I fancy the idea of the story mixing history, fantasy and romance in the same book, which is rarely done well. I think after reading this review I'll greatly enjoy giving it a go!
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”