The Sweep by Cate Tiernan *spoilers*

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mannie913
Currently Reading: Sweep Volume 3
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mannie913.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

The Sweep by Cate Tiernan *spoilers*

Post by Mannie913 »

I just finished this book and I'm a little uneasy about the ending. Just a little summary, Morgan is an ordinary high school girl who doesn't really fit into any crowd. Her best friend Bree is the girl every guy drools over. They both meet Cal who is a new transfer and totally hot. He introduces them both to Wicca. Both girls are in love with Cal but Morgan won't confess to it since Cal is way out of her league. Once they start doing circles, it is clear that Morgan is more than just aninterested learner. This is her destiny. Cal ended up choosing Morgan over Bree at a circle which shattered their friendship. Morgan finds out she was adopted, her mother (Maeve Riordan) and father (Angus Bramson) were burned, and she is a blood witch. With being a blood witch, she has advanced powers. At Cal's house, Morgan finds his mother's secret library which contains Maeve Riordan's Book of Shadows. Morgan is caught but takes the book with her anyways. Morgan learns from this book about her mother and the problems that she faced in Ireland. At Cal's house, his mother (Selena Belltower) was having a circle, when Morgan is introduced to Sky Eventide and Hunter Niall. Hunter gives off a bad vibe immediately and it doesn't help that Morgan had seen Sky in a graveyard with Bree and another ex-coven member, Raven. They had been discussing getting Cal and Morgan seperated. It was clear Cal and Hunter knew each other and had a mutual dislike. Morgan didn't realize what type of dislike until one day Hunter had followed them to their favorite store, Practical Magick. Hunter ends up telling Morgan that she is a Woodbane, which is the worst of the Seven Clans. She is upset and confirms this accusation in her mother's Book of Shadows. After her birthday date with Cal, Hunter confronts them and tells her that Cal is using her because she is powerful and wants her to do something that her mother's old coven swore to never practice. Cal, of course, denies any of this while Hunter tells her he is a Seeker. He must keep an eye on Cal for the Witch Counsel and Hunter can not leave Morgan in Cal's company. Cal immediately runs in the woods with the athame he had just gotten Morgan and taunted Hunter into following him. Morgan finds her way through the woods to find them fighting. Cal ended up pinned to the ground with Hunter almost killing him. Morgan finds the athame and throws it at Hunter, nailing him the throat and sending him toppling over the cliff. The book ends with Morgan helping Cal back to his house.

Does anyone get the feeling that Hunter was right?

I'm not sure I like Cal. From his Book of Shadows entries I'm wondering if his purpose for being in Morgan's life was to gain her for tactical purposes but I honestly think he is in love with her. He's preached to only do good magic from the beginning but it's just odd the way he is always so calm. It always feels like he wants to own Morgan. Tomorrow I'm going to get the second book but I hate how this one ended. Does anyone else think Cal is evil, or even good? Is he caught up in something bigger?
pentuppassion
Currently Reading: Crazy Rich Asians
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pentuppassion.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B01LW6TDWI

Post by pentuppassion »

Hi :) I see you have a lot of questions, but before I answer I’d like to know a few things. This book series is quite long, with a special stand-alone book at the end that may serve as an epilogue. What book are you in presently? I noticed this forum topic has been opened a few years back, I’m hoping you’ve finished the series? I read this book while I was still a teenager, and I liked it a lot. I hope you continued reading it until the last book.
Mannie913
Currently Reading: Sweep Volume 3
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mannie913.html
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mannie913 »

I haven’t finished yet because I keep getting caught up in other things. I do now know that Cal was evil. I don’t have the books in front of me so it’s hard to say which book I’m in but she broke up with Hunter and was just given the mission to get close to her father so the council can try to figure out what his coven is up to.
Jenlove101
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jenlove101 »

This series sounds interesting.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”