Official Review: Hell Holes 2 by Donald Firesmith

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dim Amarachukwu
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 10

Re: Official Review: Hell Holes 2 by Donald Firesmith

Post by Dim Amarachukwu »

The Book Hell Holes 2 by Donald Firesmith is an attractive book which has to spirits it involves demons and magic
NinazAnto
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by NinazAnto »

While preparing for his upcoming classes, Jack Oswald, a geology professor at the University of Alaska Fairbanks, received an
urgent phone call from Kevin Kowalski, an ExxonMobil manager, asking him to come and examine the mysterious holes that seemed to have appeared overnight and are threatening the oil company's operations in Alaska's North Slope.
Having been told to put a team together, Jack Oswald asks his wife and colleague, Dr. Angela Menendez and two of his grad students, Mark and Jill Star to accompany him. Meanwhile, Aileen O'Shannon, a reporter for the Fairbanks daily news-miner, came to interview Mr. Oswald about the baffling craters that have been popping up all over the world. Instead, she overheard his conversation with Mr. Kowalski, and though it was made clear that she wasn't wanted as a member of his team, she included herself on their research trip, and met them at their plane anyway, giving the others no choice but to let her join them.
When Jack Oswald and his research team arrive at Deadhorse, Alaska, they're met with the oil company representative, Mr. Kowalski and field biologist, Dr. Bill Henderson. After introductions are made, their camp site put together and their scientific instruments prepared, they begin their investigation. Soon after, though, they are met with a great tragedy, and unfortunately for them, their hardships had only just begun.
After experiencing the loss of one of their members due to a reckless mistake, they discover that what lurks within those holes are something that are far more dangerous than they could have ever imagined. Monstrous beasts emerge and the holes continue to grow and multiply.
All hell breaks loose... Literally.
You can tell that Donald G. Firesmith put a lot of time into researching certain aspects for his book; very factual. I really loved how the scientific parts of this story are so well explained and detailed.
I'll admit, when I began reading this story I really thought it was going to just be a thrilling sci-fi, but I was wrong. What Lurks Below has paranormal elements in it as well. While I wouldn't normally think that those two genres could do well together, Donald G. Firesmith does a great job bringing them together and making it believable.
I wish that there was a little more information on the "Tutores Contra Infernum" (The Guardians Against Hell). I'm hoping there will be more on the secret society in book two.
This book ends on a major cliff hanger, in the middle of chaos, so I'm definitely glad that book two is available. At the end of this book, the author gives a list of the characters, both human and supernatural, along with some added information, which I thought was cool.
Overall, this is a fast paced and thrilling sci-fi / paranormal story. What Lurks Below is a fairly short read but it's packed with exciting action and plot twists! I would recommend this to adult readers as there are some graphic scenes (death, injuries, demonic creatures, etc) and some cursing.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”