Robert Jordan and the Wheel of Time

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LotusX
Currently Reading: Dune
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lotusx.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Robert Jordan and the Wheel of Time

Post by LotusX »

I enjoyed it, but not as much as other books in the genre. I found it to be a bit too much of a clone of The Lord of the Rings. I mean, sure, it was written in the 80s when a lot of other similar books came out that followed the same kind of storyline, but there were just too many similarities. That said, I will continue the series just out of stubbornness because I feel it's still a classic - and, mainly, because one of my favorite authors is the guy who completed the series (Brandon Sanderson).
meowth29
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by meowth29 »

The magic and fighting are intense. The science he develops towards the end is real. There's like a ton of romance that's actually good because of the fighting and scheming. The oriental influences are something to be admired. 7-10 are slow and more Game of Thrones style. Brandon Sanderson made the end series as fresh as the first 6. Mierin fine, just sayin' lol.
chris_chesne

Post by chris_chesne »

I have enjoyed reading this series so far. I would definitely start with the prequel "New Spring" because it helped me to understand a lot of what was happening early in the series that would have left me scratching my head otherwise. That being said love the books so far and I can't seem to put it down.
braver
Currently Reading: Playing Big
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braver.html
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan

Post by braver »

This is one of my favorite series - I've read it multiple times, and will surely read it again! About 15 years ago, a friend of mine gave me The Eye of the World to read, telling me it was his favorite book. It was only after I read it and loved it that I found out that the series was still in progress! I was devastated when Robert Jordan died, sure that I would never get any resolution. But Brandon Sanderson did an amazing job finishing the series, so not only was there resolution, but I was also introduced to the author who quickly became my favorite. If you haven't read any of his own works yet, you absolutely should.

I know that some people find the middle books in the WoT slow, but I love the intricacy of how the characters develop throughout that period. It was a little hard to keep some of the characters straight the first time through (several of the Aes Sedai have similar names, and when you jump between story lines, it's easy to get mixed up), but definitely stick with it and read the whole series!
Kia wrote:Has anyone else seen that they're planning on making a TV series out of these books? They released a pilot for it last year (...) but I thought it was absolute garbage. Apparently there was issues with who owned the rights to the material, so the film company just threw out a pilot to try and secure their rights. No idea if that's true or not, but if they do make a series out of it, they'd better do a good job!!! What are everyone's thoughts on this? The only thing I can think this situation would be similar to would be the Game of Thrones series, but I'm not familiar with that one at all.
I also saw the pilot and read about the rights issue last year, and I agree - complete garbage. I hadn't thought about this in a while, but just looked it up and it looks like things may have been resolved now. Here's hoping for some better treatment this time around.

-- 30 Jun 2016, 10:34 --
chris_chesne wrote:I have enjoyed reading this series so far. I would definitely start with the prequel "New Spring" because it helped me to understand a lot of what was happening early in the series that would have left me scratching my head otherwise. That being said love the books so far and I can't seem to put it down.
I disagree with starting with "New Spring", mainly because it was intended to be the first of three prequels and the other two were never (and probably never will be) published. Plus, I feel like prequels are intended to give insight into a world and characters that you already know - so it won't be as meaningful if you start there.
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan
stephielynn11

Post by stephielynn11 »

I just started reading book seven, A Crown of Swords this morning. I started reading this series after I heard that Brandon Sanderson was chosen to finish writting the final book.
Mika83
Currently Reading: The Golem and The Jinni
Bookshelf Size: 52

Post by Mika83 »

I heard about that. I reserve judgement on any adaptations until I see how well they do it.
Lonetraveller504
Currently Reading: Urban Tantra
Bookshelf Size: 297

Post by Lonetraveller504 »

When this series first came out I was hesitant to start reading it due to the project number of books to tell the story. I finally decided to read it many years later and was drawn into the world and characters so completely that I read nothing else until I finished the entire series. It is worth the time to enter the world he created and to get to know all the characters.
cstegmil
Currently Reading: Raven's Fall
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cstegmil.html
Latest Review: "Of Elven Blood" by Leslie Fish

Post by cstegmil »

This is one of my favorite series. I started reading it my senior year in high school. I had to wait long periods of time for each book, but they were worth it. I took a break from the series only due to having a few little ones. I recently got back in the series, and re-read all the previous books I had and bought the rest on my kindle. Love this series a lot! Character building is top notch, the struggles of the main characters are well detailed and made me cheer for/against them. I was sad when I finished the last book but so enjoyed the ride!
Latest Review: "Of Elven Blood" by Leslie Fish
Jimmy Wallace

Post by Jimmy Wallace »

I have read the series. It is truly an epic story, although there was, in my opinion, a slight change in the quality of the last 2 or 3 books. Of course, that is only because they were finished by another writer. Still a great read. Strongly suggest.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

I am about to start "the eye of the world" so, no spoilers.
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

I read the prequel and the first book and loved it! It is quite the commitment though! I believe it is 19 books!
Steve Cotterill
Currently Reading: The Captive State
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Steve Cotterill »

I'm afraid I got tired of them, partly as a result of the sluggish rate they were published but also because after a while the story just seemed to drag, and to become increasingly complex for the sake of it. Something that started out simply seemed to just get murkier all the time, and I found it harder to care about the characters because Jordan seemed to delight in making their lives so difficult. Add in the way the female characters, at first, are all crossing their arms and tugging their braids and being generally badly written, and the preponderance of spanking scenes where they end up over a male character's knee and I found it quite misogynistic as well.

I gave up on them about book ten, I think and didn't regret stopping reading them.
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

I loved The Eye of the World but during The Great Hunt (book 2) I found myself getting a bit bored. The story was very drawn out, and I felt like the plot was going nowhere for a long time. I really struggled to get through the middle of the book, so haven't read any further yet, but still hoping the books get better again.
Rowanr1992
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 24

Post by Rowanr1992 »

This is one of my personal favorite series. I started the series in my sophomore year of high school on loan and have been hooked ever since. I personally love how detailed the writing is. It's easy to get completely immersed in the world, the characters, and the story. Definitely worth the read.
cdhundley
Currently Reading: The Book of Man
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cdhundley.html
Latest Review: Sundown by Carl H. Mitchell

Post by cdhundley »

I read this series up until about Book Nine, though I tapered off because it felt at points like Jordan was spinning his wheels a bit. It was good though - well-rendered and impressively plotted. I may restart it again.
"Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." Marcus Aurelius

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”