Featured Review: Roan: The Tales Of Conor Archer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lg_99
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lg-99.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Terminated by Jack Gold and Marc Debbeaudt

Re: Featured Review: Roan: The Tales Of Conor Archer

Post by Lg_99 »

I'll give this book a try since I enjoy reading urban fantasy and mystery novels. We'll see how it goes. Also, the mythological aspects are a plus. Thank you for the review.
eddix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddix.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eddix »

This is a very good review, capturing the essence of the book and the author's writing style. It should provide good reading for those who like this genre, but it's not for me.
Ruadhan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruadhan.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by Ruadhan »

The writing in the sample is very good, and the review says this is a debut?! Wow! This is an author to watch!
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

'Official Review: Roan: The Tales of Conor Archer, by E.R.Barr', is quite expressive, when it mentions about the genre's (Urban Fantasy) ever deepening talent pool! For me, the novel is the first of it's kind! The elaborately discussed content of the story, serves the interest of the varied readers!
Darna28
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Darna28 »

Roan

Urban fantasy novel could be so awesome to read. I love how you explain it through a review, and that's fantastic!
salbs
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salbs.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by salbs »

Thank you for your review. Having read the sample, I was certainly intrigued... and had my suspicions about the McNabs! I haven't read a lot in this genre but it sounds like this is a worthy addition. I look forward to reading more.
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

I've not delved too far into the urban-fantasy genre, though I enjoyed Holly Black's novels. I tend to prefer reading regular fantasy. That said, E.R. Barr is easily making a name for himself in this genre, and on my bookshelf. This story is wonderful, intriguing, and so dang well-written.
World-building is such a crucial element to fantasy fiction, and the failure of authors to define real rules for supernatural beings or powers often leads poor storytelling. E.R. Barr does not make this mistake; as a result, the story is allowed to grow and build upon itself in a reasonable manner.
This is so, so important and can't be stressed enough. Too many authors want to dive into the supernatural and fantasy stories without sitting down and writing out rules for this world. Their stories end up a muddled mess more often than not. I'm glad to see that Barr doesn't make this easy-to-avoid mistake. I've only read the excerpt of the book, but it's evident to me from that alone that Barr has taken the time to carefully craft his world and his story. It flows so well and builds at an easy, even pace that doesn't leave you confused.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

It's a very comprehensive analysis of this book. This Urban + epic dark fantasy is an interesting thriller for science fiction lovers.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

๐Ÿ“•๐Ÿ“–๐Ÿ“ฐ๐Ÿ““๐Ÿ“•
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

I like the reviewer comments that this will appeal to epic, dark and urban fantasy enthusiasts. The fact that it's a book he's liked further intrigues me to want to read it.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

Liked your review, however this is not the book for me...
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

Great review. I don't usually read urban fantasy books, but this seems intriguing. The world building apparent in this book is very compelling and commendable.
โ€œBooks are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.โ€
โ€• Charles William Eliot
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

Interesting to read your review; I love this genre but I couldn't get beyond the first few pages of Roan as the writing style put me off completely. To each their own though :) Thank you for a great review!
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

Wow, I really enjoyed reading your review and am excited to read the book! I'll definitely have to check it out, it sounds like everything I'm looking for in fantasy!
samexy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by samexy »

I think this book is worth checking out!!
Really love urban fantasy. Nice review!
EmpressAelin
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-empressaelin.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by EmpressAelin »

I don't know if I'm allowed to ask or not but, I'm currently reading Roan in order to do a free review and I am wondering if you maybe noticed the error in "its" vs "it's" that I keep seeing. It may just be the electronic version I have but if you noticed it too it would be nice to know it's not just me.

Return to โ€œSci-Fi and Fantasy Booksโ€