Official Review: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronic...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Official Review: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronic...

Post by jhollan2 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)" by Rose Reid.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Crown of Crimson by Rose Reid is the first book in The Afterlight Chronicles. Technically. The prequel, The Swordmaster, was just published and tells the back story of one of the characters. This is Reid’s debut novel, allowing her to add author to her repertoire, along with actress, blogger, and equestrian. Crown of Crimson is a fantasy novel set in a world at war, where magic exists only in the liminal spaces, feared and mistrusted.

Crown of Crimson tells the story of Aerietta Elony, The Queen of Crimson. She has been trained by the Cannon all her life to kill without mercy and has earned a reputation as one of the best assassins in Lydovier. Only a few people know that Aerietta is the daughter of the Lydovierian king, disowned as an infant due to the birthmark on her back. The Jezdah, an intricate tattoo of bloody roses, marked the young princess as a Child of the Elements, a harbinger of misfortune and doom. Magic and those who wield it, known as Afterlighters, have been marginalized and driven to the fringes of society and those born with the Jezdah, often sons and daughters of royal, non-magical families, are in mortal danger from birth.

Hiding the Jezdah and her royal heritage becomes even more vital after Aerietta is betrayed by the Cannon and Lydovier is over-run by Evrallonic soldiers. The king is killed and Aerietta is taken hostage by the feared Swordmaster of the Cruel King of Evrallon. Instead of executing The Queen of Crimson, the Cruel King offers her a deal. Track down one of the assassins who betrayed her and her country to Evrallon and kill him in exchange for her freedom. She sets off on the trail of her one time best friend, accompanied by the mysterious Swordmaster and his company. However, Aerietta is not the only one keeping secrets and for the first time in history, she may not be the only Child of the Elements in play. Facing mercenaries, foreign armies, and a rival sect of assassins is nothing for the Queen of Crimson. Facing the truth may be more than she can handle.

I enjoyed Crown of Crimson a great deal. It was very well written and well edited, something that is not always found with self-published books, especially debut novels. Reid created an interesting range of characters, all with various motives and trustworthiness. The interplay between them was captivating, with many characters on the same mission working toward different goals and carrying out hidden agendas. No one was quite who they seemed to be. The plot involved a number of unexpected twists and ended on a note that will keep me anxious for the next book in the series to satiate my curiosity.

One of the things that didn’t jibe with me in Crown of Crimson was a disparity between how lethal Aerietta is described as being versus her actual efficacy at killing. Early on in the novel, when she is being taken to Evrallon by the Swordmaster and his company, she vows that she will kill as many of them as she can before they make it to the palace. Despite several attempts, she kills no one. This is attributed to the skill of the Swordmaster. However, it irked me as the author had spent quite a while explaining how Aerietta had been trained since birth as an assassin and how her first kill at 11 years old was done without being given any weapons. Surely someone with that kind of training would be able to kill with a single strike, before being stopped or detected.

There was an overall characterization throughout the novel of Aerietta as being almost naïve, easily tricked and manipulated by men. It aggravated me that such a seemingly strong female character, renowned and feared throughout several kingdoms as a legendary assassin, a queen and creature of magic, was unable to tell when a man was lying to her just because she happened to find him attractive. To me, the two character traits, fearless warrior and blushing ingénue, just didn’t make sense together. To have been such an elite assassin must surely have required the ability on her part to be an excellent judge of character and be able to assess situations for risk and danger, or she would not have lasted very long in her profession.

Despite my minor irritation with characterization, I give Crown of Crimson a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Fans of dystopian fantasy with strong female characters will want to keep an eye on this series, which is scheduled to have three more books. It was a strong debut novel by a wonderful new author and I look forward to seeing more to come by Rose Reid.

Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
View: on Bookshelves

Like jhollan2's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rebecca675
Currently Reading: Spirit of Horses
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca675.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Rebecca675 »

Great review!!! I can't wait to read this one myself now, thanks so much for the honest opinions!
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Sounds like a good one! Thanks for sharing!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

The premise sounds interesting enough. Good job of pointing out the part that is irritating to you!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Gina1209
Currently Reading: The Everlasting Spring: Beyond Olympus
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gina1209.html

Post by Gina1209 »

I'm very intrigued! I think I'll put it on my shelf.
mking0803
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mking0803.html

Post by mking0803 »

Oh my goodness, this sounds like a great book and I can't wait to read it! You did a great job on the review!
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

This sounds like a really promising book, great review! Although I also hate it when a character is described as one thing and then is shown to be basically the opposite.
Ashley 1820
Currently Reading: Rebecca
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-1820.html

Post by Ashley 1820 »

That was an wonderful review! Although it's truly irritating that how the queen was described and how her work demonstrated. Apart from this,I liked it.Thanks for the good job!
Lorirainbowbright
Favorite Book: An Ember in the Ashes
Currently Reading: Burning Midnight
Bookshelf Size: 249
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorirainbowbright.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Lorirainbowbright »

Sounds really interesting. What an awesome review of the book.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Sounds good. Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the great review
needmoresleep
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-needmoresleep.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Post by needmoresleep »

Nice review!

I was going to say that I really wanted to check this out after being disappointed with Throne of Glass but it looks like the same thing applies here as it did there. Still sounds interesting but I'm looking for a real badass female assassin xD
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Sounds like quite a read, despite the missteps in the Queen's characterization. I may have to keep an eye out for it and its sequels.
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

An assassin who can't make a sucessful kill and trusts instead of doubting, sounds so wrong, it couldn't be more wrong. She's living with her life always on the line; she should be planning contigency plans for the inevitable betrayal she expects, not believing his lies or even his truths.
IvanaNS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by IvanaNS »

Great review, I can't wait to read it!
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

Sounds like an action filled thrilling novel. I like the use of a strong female protagonist. I too have to agree about her naivete and how easily she's manipulated by others doesn't suit the character of an assassin trained to kill from her birth. But despite that, I think I'll enjoy this book.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”