Official Review: Darrienia by K.J. Simmill

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Darrienia by K.J. Simmill

Post by Kia »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Darrienia" by K.J. Simmill.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Darrienia by K.J. Simmill is a complex story that follows a Zo and a group of her friends as they navigate between their world and Darrienia (the world of dreams). With the guardians of Darrienia trapped by the god Night, the world of dreams, and the tasks the friends must undertake, become increasingly dangerous. Within Darrienia there are runes which, once all are collected, will release the guardians. But Zo is finally starting to remember what happened to her between being a child and waking up in Crowley with no memory of her past. Will she be able to control the darkness she now knows lays just below the surface? Will her friends be able to stand strong together and release the guardians before Night can collect the final Grimoire and regain his full power?

K.J. Simmill has created a world entirely her own. It is complex and contains and almost overwhelming number of locations, races and secrets. The level of thought that must have gone into creating such a world is commendable, especially when the writing makes it clear that the author is familiar with every street in every town that she has created. This being said, the exact location of the travellers is sometimes in question. It becomes quickly confusing to determine if they are in the real world or Darrienia, especially since magic is present in both worlds. It is also difficult to follow where they are in that world as locations seem to move around quite a bit between the two worlds. The use of portals to change location within one world tends to complicate matters further, though their use does hurry the little group along.

The characters within this story are also quite complex. For the most part, each of their backstories is revealed in full before the end of the book. This helps tremendously in understanding them on an individual basis. Throughout the book, each of them makes their own mistakes, both big and small. This, along with the fact that each struggle with their own fear, makes them very relatable. Even when they make mistakes, their thought process is understandable.

While the level of thought that went into the creation of this world is indeed commendable, there were many times that I found it distracted from the story. There are always so many things going on at one time that it is often confusing as to what is really happening. This, paired with the long winded and often repetitive descriptions and thought processes make the book rather tedious to read. While the story is an interesting one, I found that it got lost in the pages of description. While some people will like the complexity, I felt it to be unnecessary, and that the same enthralling story could be told with a few less flourishes in many less pages. I also found several spelling and grammar mistakes.

Overall, I would rate Darrienia 2 out of 4 stars. While the story is an interesting one, it did get lost in the many details and long winded descriptions throughout the book. Therefore, this novel would appeal most to someone who enjoys a fantasy that keeps them constantly on their mental toes.

Darrienia
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kia's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Great review! Thanks for sharing!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Kia

Post by Kia »

klbradley wrote:Great review! Thanks for sharing!
Thank you!
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. The premise sounds promising. Moreover, it requires a really healthy imagination to create a different world. Too bad, though, about the flaws. Great job on the review.
Kia

Post by Kia »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:That was a very honest review. The premise sounds promising. Moreover, it requires a really healthy imagination to create a different world. Too bad, though, about the flaws. Great job on the review.
I absolutely agree, though I'm sure there are many people out there who will like the book for the same reasons I dislike it.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

The premise sounds interesting. Too bad its execution fell short. Thank you for the great review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Kia

Post by Kia »

gali wrote:The premise sounds interesting. Too bad its execution fell short. Thank you for the great review!
Thanks!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Wonderful review, Kia! Like others have said, the premise sounds promising. Hopefully you're next review goes better! :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Kia

Post by Kia »

hsimone wrote:Wonderful review, Kia! Like others have said, the premise sounds promising. Hopefully you're next review goes better! :)
Thank you! I think I'm going to pick a shorter book next time. To be honest I forgot to check the page count before I picked it and it ended up being over 700 pages according to my kindle.
cheryltkn
Currently Reading: Dark Wolf
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryltkn.html
Latest Review: "Sunspots" by Gary Martin

Post by cheryltkn »

Thanks for the review. It's too bad that it was overwritten, it did sound as if there were many things to like. I usually enjoy a lot of description but I understand that too much can overwhelm even a good story line.
Latest Review: "Sunspots" by Gary Martin
Kia

Post by Kia »

cheryltkn wrote:Thanks for the review. It's too bad that it was overwritten, it did sound as if there were many things to like. I usually enjoy a lot of description but I understand that too much can overwhelm even a good story line.
Thank you! And yes, there are a lot of really great things about this book.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Very nice job on the review! It is too bad that such apparent promise fell a bit short in the book.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Kia

Post by Kia »

rssllue wrote:Very nice job on the review! It is too bad that such apparent promise fell a bit short in the book.
I agree. I did enjoy the concept of the book but I found it very tedious to read. Thank you!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”