Official Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
debo9967
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debo9967.html
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover

Official Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)

Post by debo9967 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Solaris Seethes by Janet McNulty is a book in the science fantasy genre. It is the first book in the four part Solaris Saga series.

After a distressing period in her life, Rynah feels her life is finally getting back on track. Her happiness over her engagement, however, is short lived. Betrayed by her fiancé, Klanor, who steals a powerful crystal essential to the survival of her planet; Rynah is forced to leave her planet, Lanyr, in ruins, and flee aboard her late grandfather’s spaceship. Bent on stopping Klanor from acquiring the other crystals, Rynah has no option but to believe in an old legend and team up with four strangers from a planet hitherto considered unworthy of notice by her people.

The legend speaks of four heroes: the philosopher, the warrior, the inventor and the lover. Together with Solon (a Greek scribe from the year 751 B.C.), Alfric (a Viking from the year 1163 A.D.), Tom (a scientist from the year 2099) and Brie (closer to the present day, from the year 2014); Rynah races against her ex-fiancé to save the universe, guided by a spaceship with an attitude. Will this unconventional alliance succeed in their mission?

From the prologue itself, the author got me hooked to the book, especially when I discovered that the entire series is titled after the name of the spaceship, Solaris. Not just any spaceship, but one with artificial intelligence and feelings, that are affected easily. There is just right amount of character description to engross the readers and to keep them waiting for the sequel.

The story begins with Rynah, who’s been through a roller-coaster ride with her grandfather embarrassing her family with his insane actions, and things getting worse with Klanor’s treachery. Rynah is a complicated character with shades of revenge, remorse, emotional isolation, and slight disregard for the feeling of others. She sheds some of her reserve eventually, but there is a lot more of her character waiting to be unraveled in the future installments.

The other characters are interesting as well. Alfric’s courage, Solon’s intellect and Tom’s curiosity are the expected traits in a warrior, philosopher and scientist, but there is something refreshing as well, like what compelled Alfric to be fearless, how Solon does not give up on his optimism, or Tom’s sense of humor. Brie’s character is both naturally predictable and unusual at the same time. Her reaction to being kidnapped by Solaris was the most genuine and what I expected from all the characters. While others readily plunge into the adventure, Brie not only wants to go home, but her lack of courage is irritating at times. However, her strength of sacrifice and putting others before herself, redeem her as the story progresses.

Coming to the content, the science fiction portion in the book is uncomplicated and easy to understand. That should have been a dampener, but it is not courtesy the refreshing twists and how the author weaves in the fantasy elements in the plot, spicing up the adventure with wondrous planets, dangerous pirates and uninhabited worlds. The plot is well paced and moves smoothly from one arena to the next, switching between the characters, covering their thoughts and background stories.

Clearly, the characterization is the most impressive element in the novel, though the storyline is good too. The novel’s plotline is pretty fascinating, and coupled with likeable characters; it is an engaging read for young adults. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)
View: on Bookshelves | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like debo9967's review? Post a comment saying so!
braver
Currently Reading: Playing Big
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braver.html
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by braver »

Sounds like an interesting read! Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I love the book already. Sounds like a very interesting book with fascinating characters. Will check it out right now. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Janet McNulty.
catmomma
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by catmomma »

Sounds like a very good book, thanks for the good review. Going to go look for it now.
debo9967

Post by debo9967 »

Thanks all of you :)
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Great review! I love Sci-fi/ fantasy with strong characters!
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
debo9967

Post by debo9967 »

Thank you :)
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

Seems like an engaging read. Nice review!
debo9967

Post by debo9967 »

Thank you! :)
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte

Post by Kia »

Excellent job on the review and congratulations to the author!
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds good! I like books that mix fantasy elements, adventure, , dangerous pirates and uninhabited worlds.

Got the book! Great job on the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Rachel1019
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel1019.html
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather

Post by Rachel1019 »

I am so excited that this book has been picked for Book of the Day, because if it hadn't then I never would have heard about it before. This sounds like an amazing series to read! I can't wait to sample it today. You did a really great job on the review and it sounds like the author did a great job on the book.
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

What an interesting-sounding book. I'm not a big Sci-Fi fan, but this seems to have a good mix of fantasy and great character development that I may enjoy it! I love a book that has good characterization. Great job on the review! Also, congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Interesting that the book is titled after the spaceship Solaris, which has feelings. That makes me want to read the book. Thank You for the great review!
Utpal K Khot
Currently Reading: Green Lady
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by Utpal K Khot »

fantastic sci-fi. Congrats on being the BOTD. :)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”