Official Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rovet
Currently Reading: We Are the Ants
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rovet.html
Latest Review: "Pale Bricks" by K. L. Stein

Re: Official Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)

Post by rovet »

"A spaceship with an attitude." I love it! Downloaded the book today. Nice review :)
Latest Review: "Pale Bricks" by K. L. Stein
versatileer
Favorite Book: Serial K Returns
Currently Reading: Blood and Roses
Bookshelf Size: 338

Post by versatileer »

I want to put down my current book right now for this book, Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1). I like a great book about science fantasy with a philosopher in the character's hot seat.
melni
Favorite Book: Swept Away
Currently Reading: Higher Is Waiting
Bookshelf Size: 1275

Post by melni »

Thank you so much for an upbeat review! I love a good roller coaster ride and this book sounds like that! As I was reading the review several science fiction venues came to mind : anime Pirates of Dark Waters, Sliders & Eureka of TV fame, but who could forget the big screen epic adventure Star Wars. Saving the galaxy, collaboration of worlds, intertwining agendas -- wow I think this moves to number one on my 'wanna read list'! Sounds like fun, let's strap in and blast off ! ! !
Kendrag
Currently Reading: Gone The Next
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendrag.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Kendrag »

I picked this book as my first to review for onlinebookclub and I am so glad I did. Although this is not normally a genre I would pick up for myself I thoroughly enjoyed the book and have downloaded the rest of the series. For those who are not sure I highly suggest giving the book a chance, I'm sure glad I did!
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

Awesome review, I look forward to checking this out. Thanks!
maygin
Currently Reading: When Breath Becomes Air
Bookshelf Size: 496
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maygin.html

Post by maygin »

Very comprehensive review! I picked this book for my first review and I'm glad I did. I had similar thoughts as you, especially about character development. Thank you for this review!
DDunstock
Currently Reading: Casimir Bridge
Bookshelf Size: 281
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ddunstock.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by DDunstock »

Great review! I just ordered this book and am looking forward to the read!
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jenjayfromSA »

Solaris Seethes by Janet McNulty
Are we reading the same book? I found the plot predictable and derivative (hunting crystals based on old prophecies? How many times have I seen that? A talking space ship? Try Anne McCaffrey's Ship Who Sang for size), the characters one-dimensional (a single trait, like curiosity, doesn't make a character), the various planets lacking imagination (not even a few good aliens, simply blown-up earth creatures like sharks and tigers) and the science fiction elements ludicrous. They kill a sabre-tooth tiger, skin it, dry it in front of the fire and make warm, snuggly cloaks for the team from it the next morning? Boy, it must have smelt! They flit between planets in 20 to 30 minutes, yet Solaris takes minutes (yes, minutes) to compare two crystals. Come on, get with it!
JBreezeA
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by JBreezeA »

The character names couldn't be more Sci-Fi than the name of the spaceship itself! This is a well blended review. The four heros remind me of those in a Tarot card deck.

I can't wait to read this book.
Snrains13
Currently Reading: Animal Farm / 1984
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snrains13.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Snrains13 »

I did not find this book to be worthy of four stars at all. The premise was interesting but the execution was lacking. The characters were not well rounded and the world building could have been so much better. Not only that, but the writing was incredibly juvenile. The overuse of uncommon adjectives to describe things made that descriptive word seem repetitive and the conversation between characters was stilted and choppy. I also thought the book seemed rushed and there was at least one grammatical error. I think this book may be a nice and easy read for anyone aged thirteen or below, but overall I was not impressed.
meadhbh
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: The Last Rite by Chad Morgan

Post by meadhbh »

I was really captured by the synopsis of this book. However, I found that when I read it, the characters were very boring and one-note, which was very disappointing as I thought it had great potential. I wasn't really able to connect with the characters in a meaningful way, so I never really cared about what happened to them. Normally I'm a big fan of young adult sci-fi, but I felt like this book really needed a lot more work.
DandMMothers
Currently Reading: King Donald Khrump
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dandmmothers.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by DandMMothers »

I am reading this story as well to write my own review. I have only read chapter one so far. The imense action inediatly presented draws in the audience from the start. Im exited to finish reading this today.
Sweetp120
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetp120.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by Sweetp120 »

Thanks for the review definitely adding this one to my want to read list I was already interested before but with your review I am ready to read it now.
Mary WhiteFace
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

I've always enjoyed when an author makes technology self aware. It adds an interesting twist to the story. Great job on the review. Looking forward to a fun read.
DisAzzterous
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DisAzzterous »

This is my first book chosen to review. Well second, as my actual first book was no longer available. Based on the mixed reviews in this forum, I am excited to start it!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”