Official Review: The Alienation of Courtney Hoffman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anki_Real_Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55282">The Palace of Illusions</a>
Currently Reading: 2 books same content: You'll Do Anything for Him. You'll Do Anything for Her
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anki-real-reviews.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00LHLASDU

Re: Official Review: The Alienation of Courtney Hoffman

Post by Anki_Real_Reviews »

Not that I have been in such a condition, but I can imagine the kind of dilemma people with a mental illness might go through. The fact that the person going through such confusing visits from aliens is a teenager wouldn't have helped. I am intrigued by the plot and I believe I would enjoy this book. Thanks for writing a thorough review. It helped me in making a decision about whether I should grab this book or not :)
"A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading." ~William Styron
swetha potharla
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swetha-potharla.html

Post by swetha potharla »

This book is really good. The story of a girl really seems realistic, mental struggle of a teen girl about her dreams and surrounding peoples reactions about her situation made this story interesting and realistic
Suzana
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Suzana »

:techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray: Interesting and detailed story that made me spend an entire evening reading. The story takes place in Northen California, perfect location to boost any imagination and see the sky lights (perhaps alients).
Once in the while you get shown the lights, in this book the story can be seen by the teenager eyes and fears.
versatileer
Favorite Book: Serial K Returns
Currently Reading: Blood and Roses
Bookshelf Size: 338

Post by versatileer »

The book of The Alienation of Courtney Hoffman sounds so astounding because of its concern with the affliction of a mental illness. I cannot wait to read the whole book to get the appeal. Thanks for the vivid review and no spoiler.
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

This sounds very interesting and probably unique. It's listed as science fiction, so we're supposed to believe that the aliens are real, right? At the same time, there's a suggestion that they could be an illusion or distortion of reality due to mental illness, so the reader gets to witness some of the stigma that haunts people who have or are suspected to have a mental illness. There's a lot going on, and I suspect that there are a lot of young people who will learn a lot and enjoy the book with no need for a fluffy love interest plotline.
Rohit Ranjan Singh

Post by Rohit Ranjan Singh »

Great review that they could be an illusion or distortion of reality due to mental illness, so the reader gets to witness some of the stigma that haunts people who have or are suspected to have a mental illness.
Timcole

Post by Timcole »

Great review very interesting..... Reading a book without romantic interest is cool
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

Reminds me a little of X-Files, and I LOVE the fact that there is no romance in this. Sounds great! Thanks for the review!
OmololaAK
Bookshelf Size: 69

Post by OmololaAK »

Yeah. I like that turn away from romance. The author is pointing out realities we may need to deal with which are not necessarily physical stuff, and I relate with it cos it's not strange to me.
Oludiran Seun
Currently Reading: The Alienation of Courtney Hoffman
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Oludiran Seun »

I loved this novel, and the reason is because of it's absolute uniqueness. I really enjoyed the play on whether or not Courtney's alien visitations were real, or mental illness. As such this novel was really fun to read, and figure out all the way through what we thought of Courtney - who was an amazing character to get to know!
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by GCamer »

Courtney's situation seems very difficult. Teenagers have so many struggles growing up. Accusing one with mental illness will only make it worse. I think her whining is just a typical response to someone in her shoes. Thanks for the great review!
Zzaakkiiyyaa
Currently Reading: Paper Towns
Bookshelf Size: 166

Post by Zzaakkiiyyaa »

I was excited to read this book purely based on the sample on Amazon. However, having read this review, I can safely say I am ecstatic to read this book. I love sci-fi and psychological thrillers - as this book combines them, I'm in book heaven!

I adore the fact that the plot isn't centred around a love interest. I agree - that path is severely worn in YA books.
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Post by Anirudh Badri »

Wow, the presence of a very off tangent romance plot is usually what puts me off about the YA genre. Will probably check this one out then. Great job with the review which really sets out the scope of the book extremely well.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
Nyawera Gikaru
Currently Reading: The Worst Pet Peeve Ever
Bookshelf Size: 184

Post by Nyawera Gikaru »

That feeling when your nightmare becomes a reality and you can't really tell anyone because if you do people will think you are crazy especially if already someone from your family called another member crazy not the best feeling ever.
MF Since 1994
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =48727">It Ends with Us</a>
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by MF Since 1994 »

Well it is a nice read and the twists caught me off guard. If you are looking for a fascinating sci-fi book to read, I recommend this one. I can say that this book is definitely different from the typical books that I have read about aliens. The twists unfold in a perfect timing.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”