Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Inishowen_Cailin
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inishowen-cailin.html

Re: Outlander By Diana Gabaldon

Post by Inishowen_Cailin »

This series has been on my TBR file for ages but I just wasn't sure if the time period was my cup of tea. All the good reviews can't be wrong though so I will read this series before the tv version puts me off for good.
jovanovi
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jovanovi.html

Post by jovanovi »

My favorites series of all time. Claire and Jamie are great characters!! I've reread the books in prep for the new release and get something out of it, every time. LOVE the new series on STARZ too.
TanaCarder1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanacarder1.html

Post by TanaCarder1 »

One of my favorite series. There is a lot of violence, sexual and otherwise, but I don't feel it is the focus of the story or disproportionate.
most ardently
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-most-ardently.html

Post by most ardently »

I really like the series up until the 5th book. I was unable to continue from there. Maybe if I pick it up again I'll be able to move forward but I felt like the story just went on and on with the same stuff.

I was crazy about Claire and Jamie's love. Him being so strong physically and her being so independent and stubborn. It really is a wonderful love story. The added violence and drama made it unlike any other series!

How you all feel about the show adaptation? I feel like Jamie is shorter than the book made me picture him. Also, I kind of thought he would have longer hair and be more pronounced in the muscle department. Claire looks like I thought she would. Also so does Frank and Black Jack Randall. So far I really enjoy the show and i am looking forward to more episodes!
crazy reader

Post by crazy reader »

I agree with most ardently, got to the 5th or 6th book and felt it was the same plot. Characters are great. Jamie and Claire have this wonderful love story that boggles my mind for the fact that it is across times. Haven't watched the series yet.
jessica_a_m
Favorite Author: Jane Austen maybe

Post by jessica_a_m »

I read the first book some years ago, I bought it for my mom's birthday. Since then I might have read it around six times maybe, and I know I will read it again another six times at least. I found it very interesting. I like historical novels and highlanders are always welcomed so... I was fascinated by it. I really liked the fact that the author used some gaelic (?) words, as it helps you feel like Claire in a way, not knowing what's going on until they explain it to her. Recently the erotic romance novels have started to arise, but they have nothing to do against this book. In Outlander it is just part of the story and not the whole, which I really apreciate, but it is still pretty intense.

By the way, the Jamie in the tv show is pretty handsome, but I was expecting someone bigger and redhead, the real thing. The rest are good, I like them, though Dougal should be more handsome I think.
ROBBIESMOMMY
Favorite Author: Jessica Beck
Favorite Book: A Miracle for Miriam

Post by ROBBIESMOMMY »

. I found that it was rather slow starting, but did improve as the story continued. I found myself not liking Claire until a little more than halfway through the book. Jamie was the more caring of the couple and he was ready to give his life for Claire. She cared for him but was stubborn and usually refused to do what he told her to do (that was one reason why she'd refuse---modern women differ so much from those 200 years before), which put them in danger time and time again. I had read so many positive reviews about Outlander and maybe that was why I was somewhat disappointed in the story as I read it---reviews were better than what I found the book to be. I don't regret having read it, but wasn't totally thrilled. But just remember, this is just MY opinion...you may like it a lot!! Anything by Diana Gabaldon and K S Michaels is going to be a big hit in my book shelf.
shelley_soetosenojo
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 21940">the fiery cross</a>
Currently Reading: A Taste of Seduction
Bookshelf Size: 139
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelley-soetosenojo.html
Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
Reading Device: B0716S5G56
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by shelley_soetosenojo »

The owner of a bookstore i went frequently suggested the series to me. She told me in short what the series was about and i wanted to buy all the 7 books then and there. But she suggested i first read the first book and if i liked it than to buy the rest. Well it did not take me too long. Because after the first chapter i went back to the store and bought all of them and within 5 months i read all the 7 books. And when hearing that it was going to tv i read the first book again. Now i am rereading book 2 in anticipation of season 2!! The book and the show are just amazing!!
Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
Hannah Miller
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-miller.html

Post by Hannah Miller »

I actually really loved this book! Going into it I was skeptical because I'm not a huge romance fan but I was immediately hooked! The characters are well-developed and engaging and Gabaldon does a wonderful job capturing the culture of the era (and area for that matter). I wasn't so impressed with the second book though and haven't managed to make it past the middle.
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books are not necessarily my favorite type of book. However I have read a few, I will read these once in awhile if I need a break from other books. My favorite all time series is the Outlander Series. It took me a year to read the whole series but that was only because I was reading it on my kindle and I can only read that during the day during the week while I am working. The light on a kindle tends to keep me from falling asleep easily. Plus I am usually reading a couple of other books off to the side. I highly recommend the Outlander series and my boyfriend and I are currently working on watching the series on t.v.

-- 06 Sep 2016, 14:25 --

I am curious as to why you do not want to watch it. We have been watching the first season and so far it is following the series very well. However, because my boyfriend wants to watch it with me it has taken us months only because he has to be in the mood for it otherwise he enjoys watching it. We only have 2 episodes left of the first season. I would recommend watching in the winter time. That was our other downfall to not wait until winter.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Penny Lee
Favorite Author: R. A. Salvatore
Favorite Book: The Count of Monte Cristo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 485
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-lee.html
Latest Review: The Pirate Who Was Scared of Birds by Michelle Path
fav_author_id: 8463

Post by Penny Lee »

A great series of books and highly recommended!
Emmanuel Kalu
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Emmanuel Kalu »

I've already fallen in love with Scotland from just the reviews i've read.
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

I ran across the first episode of the series on night while canning tomatoes. This sucked me in and when I hit the mid-season cliffhanger with months to wait to see what would happen to Claire, I got online and ordered the whole series. This was in September of 2014. By the end of Christmas break I had finished all the books except Written in my Own Heart's Blood. When it came out, I immediately got it and read it as fast as possible. I am truly an Outlander and Gabaldon fan!! You gotta love Jamie and Claire!!
MissyBC5
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by MissyBC5 »

I absolutely love this series read all the books twice .
Rrhodes2748

Post by Rrhodes2748 »

I read the first three books of the series and really enjoyed them! But once I got to the fourth book, for some reason I just could not finish it. I started it two years ago and have yet to feel the desire to pick it up again.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”