Official Review: Synthesis: Weave by Deane Saunders-Stowe

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Official Review: Synthesis: Weave by Deane Saunders-Stowe

Post by Sarah G »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Synthesis: Weave" by Deane Saunders-Stowe.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Set around 200 years, Synthesis: Weave by Dean Saunders-Stowe follows Sebastian Thorsson, a security programmer for Earth Security on the Terminae station. Sebastien wishes for a job with excitement so when he is offered the esteemed job of a Special Operations agent by agent Gladrin he jumps at the chance. With the help of his friend Aryx, an ex-marine, Sebastian is given the objective to analyse a new piece of technology stolen from the terrorists. However, after an explosion on the Terminae station, it is down to Sebastian and Aryx to find the culprit. Could the terrorist group be linked to the explosion? The understanding of the technology might be the key to finding the perpetrator. The investigation will take them on a journey of discovery, where ancient secrets will soon be uncovered.

It really is good when you get the chance to read a Sci-Fi book where the author really has done their research and come up with logical ideas of the possible future. An example of this in the book is mycobacon; the reasoning being that there are rarely kept for food now due to the space they take up. I loved the attention to detail given to Aryx’s disability. Aryx has lost his legs from below the knee whilst serving in the marines leading to a parasitic infection which has weakened his immune system meaning he can’t have clones or transplants as anti-rejection drugs would kill him. This lack of ‘dumbing down’ the book is both good and bad. Good because if you understand the science it makes the story feel that much more believable and easier to immerse yourself in it. However, there is a draw back. There were times when the science was a little over my head and became overwhelming and drew me out of the story a little especially when talking about ‘superphase’. I think this could have been helped with a few analogies to put what has been said into some sort of perspective.

The characters in the book are very well rounded and developed and the story does not overload you with too many characters either which is great. It gives you more of a feel for the characters. Even though one of the characters has a disability the book doesn’t make a big deal about it. It’s great to see that the character isn’t mollycoddled or given extra sympathy adding a sense of normality to his condition. I loved it. A really positive view towards disability showing it doesn’t hold you back.

Something I found interesting in this book is it actually has a theme of Fantasy running through it. Magic appears and is talked about in the book; even though it is given more of a scientific background. I believe this really gives this story a unique twist.

Overall I would give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. This book was a really good read and the well-paced story really draws you in. The lack of a clear explanation in some things in the book is why I dropped a star. Certain theories needed better explanation or an analogy to put the idea in context to help understanding.

I would recommend this to lovers of the Sci-Fi genre who have a background in science. Due to difficult concepts I would not recommend this for young children.

Synthesis: Weave
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Sarah G's review? Post a comment saying so!
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
dsaundersstowe
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by dsaundersstowe »

Thanks for this review! It highlights some points that I may change in future.
Any chance you could post this on the UK Amazon page for the book?
Sarah G
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah G »

I can rewrite one for Amazon, sure :-). It was an enjoyment to read :-)
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting book with delightful characters. I think I understand about being overwhelmed especially when science gets too deep for very ordinary readers :) I hope I get the chance to read this book one of these days. Great job on the review.
Sarah G
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah G »

Thank you very much :-)
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

I'm glad you enjoyed reading it. Thank you for the review!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

It really is good when you get the chance to read a Sci-Fi book where the author really has done their research and come up with logical ideas of the possible future. An example of this in the book is mycobacon; the reasoning being that there are rarely kept for food now due to the space they take up. I loved the attention to detail given to Aryx’s disability. Aryx has lost his legs from below the knee whilst serving in the marines leading to a parasitic infection which has weakened his immune system meaning he can’t have clones or transplants as anti-rejection drugs would kill him. This lack of ‘dumbing down’ the book is both good and bad. Good because if you understand the science it makes the story feel that much more believable and easier to immerse yourself in it. However, there is a draw back. There were times when the science was a little over my head and became overwhelming and drew me out of the story a little especially when talking about ‘superphase’. I think this could have been helped with a few analogies to put what has been said into some sort of perspective.
I totally agree. Whatever the subject of the book, proper research adds much more credibility and accuracy and really enriches the book. I'm not particularly good for science but I prefer feeling challenged than underestimated.
The characters in the book are very well rounded and developed and the story does not overload you with too many characters either which is great. It gives you more of a feel for the characters. Even though one of the characters has a disability the book doesn’t make a big deal about it. It’s great to see that the character isn’t mollycoddled or given extra sympathy adding a sense of normality to his condition. I loved it. A really positive view towards disability showing it doesn’t hold you back.
Character development is absolutely fundamental for me in a novel. And I appreciate that the author didn't fall into the cliche of coddling the character with a disability.

I'm not a huge sci-fi reader but I do appreciate that your review is very thorough and reflective. Thanks!
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Thanks for the thorough review and for drawing our attention to this book. As a fan of sci-fi books, this is going to my to-be-read list. Too right, not very often the sci fi books are well-researched.
Sarah G
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah G »

Thank you for all your support guys :-)
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

Great review! :tiphat:
Sounds like a good book since I enjoy science fiction. I liked the comment that you mentioned:"It really is good when you get the chance to read a Sci-Fi book where the author really has done their research and come up with logical ideas of the possible future". Those are the ones I enjoy the most personally, ones that are believable.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Magic in a sci-fi piece is interesting, and I wonder how that turns out to be. A cloud of mystery to hook readers in and plausible well-researched details could make fictional works a winner, and it would've been better if such stayed within what you conceive as acceptable levels. Thank you for your honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Sci-fi genre is one of my must read. I am glad to know how well researched this book is. Thank you for your thorough review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte R&oslash;ddik

Post by Yoli García »

I like that the main character has a disability because it represents a group of the population that is usually not portrayed in books. Thankfully, that is changing. Thanks for the review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I like that the book has a positive view of Aryx's disability and that he can help Sebastian figure out a stolen object of technology. Knowing the ancient secrets and technology sounds like it brings the past and the future together.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 976
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

This seems to be a sci-fi with well developed characters.

Thank you for the great review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”