Official Review: The Legend of the Flaming Dragon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Official Review: The Legend of the Flaming Dragon

Post by kio »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Legend of the Flaming Dragon" by Rashad McCardy.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Rashad L. McCardy’s Legend of the Flaming Dragon, themes of good versus evil, magic, mythical beings, saving the kingdom, and overcoming the odds are prevalent in the book. McCardy introduces a world in which ten kingdoms exist alongside each other. Each kingdom is a different type of race: dragon, elves, vampires, trolls, druids, werewolves, birds, dwarves, giants, and goblins. Centuries ago, a group of wizards created what is known as The Darkness. As a result, they and their creation were banished to the Isle of Null, where no magic could exist and no one could escape. When rumors of the Darkness returning start to surface, the ten kingdoms meet to form an alliance. There, the Darkness appears and declares war against everyone in two months.

The story focuses primarily around prince and heir to the Flaming Dragons Clan throne, Rowan. He is a bit unusual. Not only can he shapeshift into a dragon, but his armor for his human form is made of dragon skin, his sword is made from Bellator metal (a rare metal only enemies have), and he has a good relationship with all the races.

One day, shortly after the alliance’s encounter with the Darkness, Rowan’s old friend, John, informs him that the Darkness has a few tricks up his sleeve and that what the races did last time will not work this time. If the kingdoms want to win, Rowan will need to amass an army from the unwanted people from the Isle of Null. Before Rowan can get his friend’s help amassing the army, however, John disappears. A week later, rumors of John being an albino werewolf, a wolf who can’t control himself, start to emerge. In an attempt to save his friend from death, Rowan sets out to convince him to take the cure. Instead, however, an unfortunate incident results in John dying and Rowan getting bit and turning into a werewolf/dragon hybrid. Can Rowan learn to use his new powers while amassing an army to save the world? Can the Darkness be stopped? Will he figure out a strategy that the Darkness won’t be able to predict?

The characters in this book are well developed and intriguing. My favorite part of the book is the dynamic between Rowan and Amelia, a girl from his clan that he has a love interest with. Their relationship is realistic and makes their characters stand out from the many other characters.

The plot is told through alternating points of view (the Darkness and his minion Jackal, Rowan, his dad, Caleb, and Sladar, Rowan’s dragon friend). The author does a great job of balancing the different points of view without confusing readers. The development of suspense and building action throughout the book are two of the main draws of the book. Each chapter ends in a cliff-hanger. This causes the suspense/action to build chapter after chapter, making this book impossible to put down.

The world building in this book is phenomenal. Each race takes on distinctive characteristics in Rowan’s world and being introduced to the different aspects of each one’s kingdoms and dynamics was what drew me the most into Rowan’s world. I look forward to seeing more of the author’s created world in the expected sequel to this book.

My only complaint is that there are a lot of secondary characters that are hard at first to keep straight. The names, however, are distinct enough in personality and names that, over time, it becomes easier to tell them apart.
This is why I give it 3 out of 4 stars.

The Legend of the Flaming Dragon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kio's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Rashad91
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rashad91 »

Thank you for the magnificent review.

May God bless you.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Excellent review.

Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
HalcyonFlower
Currently Reading: Hearts In Atlantis
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-halcyonflower.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Publishing Contest Votes: 2

Post by HalcyonFlower »

This is an incredible review. I feel I've read a few of your reviews before and always love the opening paragraphs. There's been a fantasy itch that hasn't gone away in the past week so I may just pick this up and give it a go. I do find it strange that the dragon kingdom wouldn't find it almost insulting that the protagonist wore dragon amour?
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

HalcyonFlower wrote:This is an incredible review. I feel I've read a few of your reviews before and always love the opening paragraphs. There's been a fantasy itch that hasn't gone away in the past week so I may just pick this up and give it a go. I do find it strange that the dragon kingdom wouldn't find it almost insulting that the protagonist wore dragon amour?
I'm glad you like my reviews. Thanks for the feedback on the first sentence, I'll make sure to keep using that type of sentence at the beginning :) The insult of dragon armro does come up in the book a bit and has an interesting explanation for itand even a bit of a twist as a result, but I wondered about that myself. You'll have to read to find out more about the "dragon armor" parts :)
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
HalcyonFlower
Currently Reading: Hearts In Atlantis
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-halcyonflower.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Publishing Contest Votes: 2

Post by HalcyonFlower »

kio wrote:I'm glad you like my reviews. Thanks for the feedback on the first sentence, I'll make sure to keep using that type of sentence at the beginning :) The insult of dragon armro does come up in the book a bit and has an interesting explanation for itand even a bit of a twist as a result, but I wondered about that myself. You'll have to read to find out more about the "dragon armor" parts :)
I'd say the entire paragraph moreso than a single sentence - it really increases curiosity ;) And that's good to know! I just bought it and hopefully will be able to see how the commotion is handled sooner rather than later.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”