Official Review: Sunspots by Gary Martin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Official Review: Sunspots by Gary Martin

Post by LivreAmour217 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sunspots" by Gary Martin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sunspots is a futuristic suspense novel that follows the life of John Farrow, one of two shift managers aboard the cargo starship Sunspot 2, whose mission is to transport Earth's garbage to the Sun to be incinerated. The job is rather tedious, and John spends most of his time reading, doing paperwork, and assigning tasks to his four-man team. This predictable routine is shattered when John wakes up for his shift to find the ship sabotaged and half of the crew missing. With time running out, John and his less-than-harmonious team must fix the ship and discover who--or what--has caused the rest of the crew to vanish.

Sunspots is a well-crafted story that keeps the reader fully engaged and curious to know more. The story is told from John's perspective in the first person, and jumps back and forth between the dilemma aboard the Sunspot 2 and flashbacks to John's interactions with his two best friends, Jacob and Terrell, and his girlfriend, Ez. The transitions between John's time aboard the Sunspot 2 and his personal life on Earth are done smoothly, and I can only recall one instance when the change had me momentarily confused.

The writing within this novel is top-notch and almost devoid of errors. The author provides enough detail for the reader to get a clear picture of the settings without being too heavy-handed, which is a common problem in the science-fiction drama. The plot moves swiftly, the loose ends are neatly tied together, and the ending is anything but predictable.

But although the story is well-written, I do feel obligated to warn potential readers about a couple of things. First, this book follows the dystopian future trope that is so common these days, which for me was a personal disappointment, as the book was described as being similar to Star Trek (which portrays a largely utopian future). So, if you're looking for something bright and optimistic, then this probably isn't the book for you.

My second warning to readers is that this is an adults-only story. There is an enormous amount of swearing in the dialogue, which was at times over the top and distracting. Additionally, there are numerous references to drug use, including the description of a pregnant woman drinking alcohol and using opioids. Readers who might take offense to this type of material are advised to avoid this book.

Even though I did not enjoy some of the aforementioned elements of this novel, I am giving Sunspots 3 out of 4 stars for its engrossing plot and superb writing. The author is very talented, and I believe that there is a large enough audience out there that would appreciate his work.

Sunspots
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LivreAmour217's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Great review! Sounds like a cool book. I am glad you enjoyed the book overall. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

gali wrote:Great review! Sounds like a cool book. I am glad you enjoyed the book overall. :)
Thank you, Gali! It was a pretty cool book overall 8)
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Garymartian
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Garymartian »

Thank you for the excellent review, LivreAmour271, it has made my week. :)
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Garymartian wrote:Thank you for the excellent review, LivreAmour271, it has made my week. :)
You're welcome! I am happy to hear it!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Wonderful review, LivreAmour217! Sounds interesting. I'm glad you were able to enjoy the book even with your couple warnings! :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

hsimone wrote:Wonderful review, LivreAmour217! Sounds interesting. I'm glad you were able to enjoy the book even with your couple warnings! :)
Thanks, Hsimone! The book was very well-written, which made it easy to overlook the things that I didn't enjoy!
bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Well-written and thoughtful review. The book sounds fascinating! Congratulations to the author. :D
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

bluemel4 wrote:Well-written and thoughtful review. The book sounds fascinating! Congratulations to the author. :D
Thank you, Bluemel!
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

This sounds like an interesting idea for a story. It's nice to be warned about the drugs and the language that is used so one can be prepared to deal with that. It's a little disappointing that the future is painted so bleakly, but it still seems like it would be an interesting read. Very nice, informative review.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Amheiser wrote:This sounds like an interesting idea for a story. It's nice to be warned about the drugs and the language that is used so one can be prepared to deal with that. It's a little disappointing that the future is painted so bleakly, but it still seems like it would be an interesting read. Very nice, informative review.
Thanks, Amheiser! I'm glad you appreciated the warnings about the more graphic material. I felt slightly prudish mentioning it, but I know that swearing and drugs can turn a lot of people off to a book. I usually don't care for this kind of content myself, but the story was good and deserved a rating that reflected its quality.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Great Review

Downloaded copy of the book

Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I have already commented, but it is now the BOTD and free! Got my copy! :)

Congratulations to the author on the great review and on being Book of the Day! :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Garymartian
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Garymartian »

Thank you gali. :)
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I've been seeing quotes from this review all over the place today! Nicely done. And glad to see you enjoyed the book :)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”