Review: Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brad_Horner
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brad-horner.html

Review: Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson

Post by Brad_Horner »

Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson
My rating: 4 of 4 stars

What a delightful larger-than-life fantasy novel!

I was prepared to assume that it was going to be filled with an army of confused characters mired in grit and blood and that I shouldn't expect too much from the first novel because the series gets seriously good later.

I might have managed my expectations a bit too much, because I was delighted, instead. I've been a fan of the Final Fantasy RPGs since the first one, so I'm quite used to a lot of these tropes, plus I'm also a fan of the Cthulhu mythos, so godlings and demons raining down from the moon and infecting dreams, elder gods breaking through to the waking realm, and the dying souls of a race of immortals willing to give up everything for a final rest is all pretty much awesome. I'm ready to flip a coin and kill some doggies. :)

The admittedly large cast of characters didn't seem at all confused, either. I rooted for all of them at different times and I was very willing and able to hang my hat on the magic system with all it's Warrens and barrows and subdivisions and unique associations of interested polities. (I jest, I jest. I really enjoy the idea that magic is associated with space outside of regular space, as implied in the naming system.)

Best of all, though, other than the fairly cool poetry and very well thought-out world-building that's obviously much, much deeper than what we see here, was the fact that there was so much damn magic! I think I enjoyed learning how it worked as much as I enjoyed watching it blow stuff up. I was duly creeped out by the puppets, the abilities manifested by soul-hopping, the shambling dead, Luck, and so much more. My interest was definitely piqued and I'm rearing to go.

I'm an old uber-fan of WoT and I've tasted quite a few other series. The one thing I see the most connection between, when it comes to like/like, is Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archives. That's high praise for both series, by the way. If you like one, you'll like both, even. :)

I'm going to continue with this series with great joy.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I have read this book, book #2, & #3 and loved them. A great series indeed. One day I will continue with book # 4. 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Brad_Horner
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brad-horner.html

Post by Brad_Horner »

It seems to be very well beloved by a lot of people. I'll probably be plowing through all of them in the upcoming months. :)
GoAskAlice
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goaskalice.html

Post by GoAskAlice »

Gardens of the Moon is book one in a series called Malazan Book of the Fallen. The Malazan Empire strives to be the only power on Genabackis. This unique and interesting storyline follows both sides of the conflict. Detailed characters struggle to find their place in the rapidly changing world they live in. All human and non human emotion is explored in this epic fantasy. Murder, plots, sorcery, magical creatures, and shocking battles combine to give you a thrilling experience. At first it may be a little confusing as it sets the scene for the story. Once you get into it you will not be able to put it down. I even carried it around in my purse so I could read it whenever I had a spare second. The depth and range of the story and its characters pulled me in and held me so that I felt I was under a spell myself. The ending was definitely a cliffhanger but it wrapped up what it needed to. I can't wait to get my hands on the next one!
Asisha Joseph
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asisha-joseph.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Asisha Joseph »

I'm just beginning my journey into the series. So far, so good!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”