Official Review: The Inlooker - Full Length

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: The Inlooker - Full Length

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Inlooker - Full Length" by Terry Tumbler.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Inlooker is a dark humor science fiction story written by Terry Tumbler. The book, told in the third person perspective, was about Thomas Beckon, a man who had the ability to subdue another person’s soul and take control of his body.

After being unjustly dismissed from his job, Thomas started to exploit his ability and carried out justice against a couple of criminals then sought sexual gratification from beautiful women. In a moment described as similar to boredom, Thomas decided to utilize his ability to generate income by exacting cash from unsuspecting wealthy people and invested on a special item of clothing. It was in one of these covert stunts when Thomas clashed against an alien presence. After this strange encounter, Thomas accepted the existence of beings, from other planets, co-existing with humans.

He, then, started another venture which involved production of silver-colored, egg-shaped, anti-gravity vehicle he called Personal Official Transport (POT), eventually called potties. They were fuelled by silver liquid, the origin of which was not disclosed to the public. To overcome resistance against his potties, Thomas permanently took control of the Minister of Transportation’s body and ultimately got elected as Prime Minister.

The author masterfully wove a quite humorous tale based on serious national and even global issues including traffic jam, population explosion and even alien invasion. Moreover, Terry Tumbler soften the premise by presenting familial matters. Thomas, despite his financial success, still felt incomplete when he realized how he neglected his wife and daughters, the evidence of which was the abduction of the older daughter and her husband.

As dark humor goes, the book was at some points funny, sarcastic and offensive, what with acronyms like POT for personal official transport, ODD for On Demand for Democracy and even ARSES for alternative, randomly, self-modifying egress structures.

This was actually my first time to read a book with dark humor so I did not know what types of characters to expect. I can only say that Thomas was a man of contradictions. He hated criminals but justified robbing from wealthy people. He loved and cherished his wife but sought sexual adventures with other women. He had the best interest of mankind in mind but neglected his own daughters and even held a grudge against Sharon for not paying the 500 pounds she borrowed.

Generally, the book was well written. However, I found some unexplained issues, like how Thomas got in touch with the extra-terrestrial beings and how he managed to get hold of the silver liquid that fuelled the potties. Moreover, there was no backstory on how Sharon and David were abducted. In addition, I noticed some incorrect usage of words like mine instead of mind and who’s instead of whose. Finally, there were numerous repetitions pertaining to Thomas being in possession of Broadbent’s body. It was repeated about seven times in the entire book.

In view of the above, I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is interesting, amusing, and highly entertaining with a surprising subject mentioned in the end. I recommend it to those who enjoy science fiction and stories with dark humor and touch of paranormal.

The Inlooker - Full Length
View: on Bookshelves

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I like a book with dark humor and the character, Thomas, sound very interesting. I can imagine all the crazy things he does while controlling someone's body. The fact he comes across aliens give it more of a unique touch.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Amagine wrote:I like a book with dark humor and the character, Thomas, sound very interesting. I can imagine all the crazy things he does while controlling someone's body. The fact he comes across aliens give it more of a unique touch.

Great Review! ?
Thank you very much! It is quite an enjoyable read.
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

Thanks for the great review! Sounds interesting!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't really enjoy dark humor books such as this one. It sounds good if that's what you are into. Thanks for the review, but I don't think I'll be reading this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”