Official Review: Adrift on a Sea of Stars by John Stilwell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
falloutlunartic
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falloutlunartic.html
Latest Review: "Adrift on a Sea of Stars" by John Stilwell
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
2017 Reading Goal: 75
Goal Completion: 0
fav_author_id: 2388

Official Review: Adrift on a Sea of Stars by John Stilwell

Post by falloutlunartic » 18 Jan 2016, 21:27

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Adrift on a Sea of Stars" by John Stilwell.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Review by Mikayla Smith.

Adrift on a Sea of Stars by John Stilwell is a science fiction story set in the future where the world's condition has declined to the point of needing a new planet for humans to inhabit. The world governments decide to send a mix of engineers and scientists to find such a planet. Bradley Rutherford is the Captain of the three fleets sent. Except, the book takes place over many centuries but with the same characters...read it so you can find out how. I shall not spoil it! Anyway, the fleet experiences tribulations and hardships along the way with an unprecedented plot and concept. Throughout the story there are creative technologies with descriptive details.

This story caught me off guard. Because I could not find much information or reviews on this book whatsoever, I was pleasantly surprised at the interesting story inside that held my attention and truly entertained me. When I picked this book to review, I chose it for the science fiction element and was not disappointed.

Most of what I have to say about this story is positive. It started with a very interesting and unique beginning with outstanding and vital background information. My favorite kind of story contains action, is Science-Fiction, and takes place in the future. Adrift on a Sea of Stars has all of those qualities I look for. The complex, fantastic, and original ideas incorporated into this book were phenomenal. I devoured most parts of this book because of the anticipation of what would happen next. Despite the formidable mood, there were certain parts with sarcastic and humorous remarks where I just had to chuckle to myself.

Despite all the good things, there were some downfalls. The protagonist was well developed, however the rest of the characters were not. They were not relatable nor were real to me. Also, in some places the details were lacking and other times there were too many to understand everything going on. The story at times was hard to follow and I continually was confused. Proper grammar and spelling are essential to me, so it is always disheartening to read a book that has a few mechanical errors and words that are misspelled or rearranged.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I did not give it 4 stars because it had some issues, but I definitely recommend Adrift on a Sea of Stars to anyone who delights in reading space-themed books. All in all, the story had well written diction and kept me guessing the whole way through.

Adrift on a Sea of Stars
View: on Bookshelves | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like falloutlunartic's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them." -Lemony Snicket

Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
2017 Reading Goal: 50
Goal Completion: 2
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko » 30 Jan 2016, 03:08

Great review falloutlunartic! Like you, I don't like books with a lot of mechanical errors. But this sounds like a great science fiction book.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King

kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: Prayer Plus Faith Equals Miracle
Bookshelf Size: 389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: "Woman The Failed Male" by Dr. Geraldine Sharp
2017 Reading Goal: 50
Goal Completion: 136

Post by kimmyschemy06 » 01 Feb 2016, 04:27

The premise sounds very promising. I hope I get the chance to read this book. Great job on the review!

ReadDear
Bookshelf Size: 0
2017 Reading Goal: 1

Post by ReadDear » 09 Feb 2016, 01:59

I love science fiction. I plan read this book later.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”