Official Review: Eden's Ore - Secrets by B.V. Bayly

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Official Review: Eden's Ore - Secrets by B.V. Bayly

Post by Sarah G »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Eden's Ore - Secrets" by B.V. Bayly.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Eden’s Ore - Secrets is set in a future where Earth has reached a major crisis point on energy, where cities are having to be turned off due to not enough power, another energy has recently been developed using crystals called Eden’s Ore.

Gabriel Roberts lived outside of the main cities in a small ranch, thinking that the biggest decision he had to make was what to take at college. However, after a fateful storm, that soon changed. During the storm, Gabriel is merged with the white Eden’s Ore his father gave him before his mysterious death. With the crystal, Gabriel has gained powers that he needs to learn to control, and quickly as he must stop the evil organisation TERA (The Energy and Resource Acquisition) who want to use the power of Eden’s Ore to gain control and power of the world.

Soon he learns there was more to his dad then he realised and Gabriel might be the one thing that can stand in the way and undo TERA’s work.

This book was a really good read. Where to start? The opening to the book grips you right from the start and it became a struggle to put the book down. The world that B. V. Bayly creates is really intriguing and the futuristic technology that is described has been really well thought through, which makes the story that much more believable and immersive. The characters were similar in this respect, which, when combined, made for a really good read.

The story had a lot of unexpected plot twists involving espionage that I also liked, as you could never tell what was about to come round the corner. And so the addiction to this book began.

If I’m going to be picky, the fault I would pick up on is at the end of the book. For some reason there is a prologue at the end of the book. This should be an epilogue.

Overall I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I would happily recommend this book for those that enjoy Sci-Fi and action books. Due to some scenes of strong violence I would recommend this book for teenagers and above, however younger teenagers may struggle with the political concepts in the book.

This book is the first book in the Eden’s Ore series, and I have already ordered the second book Eden’s Ore – Revelations and can’t wait to start!

Eden's Ore - Secrets
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Sarah G's review? Post a comment saying so!
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

The cover art on this book is very attention getting. The book sounds interesting, even if the evil organization makes it sound a little comic book-like. I may give this one a go. Congrats to the author are in order for receiving a great review!
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Very nice review! You definitely make it sound like a story that I would enjoy to read! Nice job!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Sarah G
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah G »

I did have a little struggle summarising the book seen as there is so much that happens in such a short story. I didn't want to give away any plot twists. Really good book that'd hard to do it justice :).

Thank you @anonanemone!

Thank you @rssllue!
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

You are most welcome! :tiphat:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

You're welcome! :mrgreen:
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

"With power comes great responsibility" is how the cliche goes, but it's for a good reason. Science fiction stories like this highlight the current and future scenarios that we need to recognise and deal with or prepare for. Thank you for bringing to light its noteworthy aspects in your review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Sarah G
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah G »

Espie wrote: 19 Oct 2018, 17:58 "With power comes great responsibility" is how the cliche goes, but it's for a good reason. Science fiction stories like this highlight the current and future scenarios that we need to recognise and deal with or prepare for. Thank you for bringing to light its noteworthy aspects in your review.
Thank you so much for your feedback :-)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”