Chronicles of Narnia, C.S. Lewis

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SammiT
Currently Reading: American Gods
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammit.html
Reading Device: B004D1OBFW

Chronicles of Narnia, C.S. Lewis

Post by SammiT »

Just curious in what order other people read this series. I've read it both ways (chronologically in order published, or chronologically by story timeline,) and personally prefer to read it starting with The Magician's Nephew and ending with The Last Battle. I find reading it in story time order is difficult at first, because The Magician's Nephew is a bit of a slow, tedious read. Even so, I find that order is more engaging than reading them in the order published. Thoughts? :P
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Whoaa! I only read the first three books. I've been meaning to read The Magician's Nephew but I always end up reading something else. But now that you brought that up, I think I need to consider :)
SammiT
Currently Reading: American Gods
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammit.html
Reading Device: B004D1OBFW

Post by SammiT »

It took me so long to read Magician's Nephew, but it does have a lot of information that adds to the others, I hope you get to read it soon :)
Chelcie
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Chelcie »

I find that if you read the Magicians nephew it leads to a lot of answers to the 'hows' and 'whys' that may come up when reading the others! but I too prefer to read from magicians nephew - last battle! However I did find 'the silver chair' to be quite dragging
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

I read the Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe first as I had seen the movie before reading the books. After that I read them in chronological order. I honestly didn't know it was a series until I read the first book. :oops:
Lysander99
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lysander99.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Lysander99 »

When i read the Chronicles of Narnia years ago i read it by order published and i had thoroughly enjoyed reading the series this traditional way. However now that you have brought it up it would be interesting to read a series that i have pretty much forgot at this point from chronological order. This would be a great test for any writer to determine if they can enhance the overall quality of their series if persons can read them in various orders and get different experiences.
Strongbob25
Currently Reading: Maskerade
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strongbob25.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Strongbob25 »

It makes more sense to read them in the order they were published. That's how they were originally read and originally imagined.
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by jennyd2003 »

I read them in story order as I had bought the boxed set for my oldest daughter. I need to find them and read them again with my youngest children now.
akirov30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akirov30.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by akirov30 »

I started with The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe first and didn't read The Magician's Nephew until some years later. With my kids, I started them off with the series the same way. Once they'd got into the series, they also dipped back and read The Magician's Nephew and had fun finding out the origins of the lamp post and who Jadis was and understood the significance of the events in the book. I don't think they'd have got into the series if they'd read TMN first. As you point you, SammieT, it's a slower read and for me, it comes across as aimed at a slighter older child whereas The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe is suitable for a younger one, making it a good place to start younger readers off.

I loved the series as a kid though and still vividly remember A Horse and His Boy, Voyage of the Dawntreader and The Silver Chair. I think The Last Battle was my least favourite but by then I was older and the religious significance felt heavy-handed.
oceana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oceana.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II

Post by oceana »

I started with The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe and somewhere in the middle read the magicians nephew. Once I read it a lot of things made a lot more sense.
PepperedPenelope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pepperedpenelope.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by PepperedPenelope »

I also started with The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, as you guys have pointed out, it just appealed more to me as a younger reader. A few years ago I challenged myself to read 100 books in a year and I wanted to focus on the books that I have always had but just never read - this series being one of them. I read them in chronological order and it was fascinating. The Magicians Nephew does give a lot of background. I think my favorite was Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I loved that they just ventured out without really knowing what they were going to find. It gets a bit slower after that, but I have to say... if you're going to read all of them, you need to prepare yourself before reading The Final Battle. It was really hard to read and I did cry a bit at the end!
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I read them in chronological order. I agree that The Magicians Nephew was slow, but it does a good job setting up for the rest of the series. Thinking back on how the story flowed, I think I would have been confused reading them in publication order. And The Last Battle...I knew as soon as they neared the end what was happening. It broke heart, but I understand why the series ended as it did.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

I didnt read them in the correct order, but, it was only after reading the Magician's Nephew that the whole story fit like a jig saw puzzle.
mam_reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by mam_reader »

I read it in the order it was published the first I read it, but, every time I reread it after that, I read it in the order of the timeline, which made much more sense.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I have not read all the books yet. I have read The Lion the witch and the wardrobe as well as Prince Caspian and The Silver Chair . I would like to read the rest of the series.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”