Who is your favorite wizard?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cooleytriston
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cooleytriston.html

Re: Who is your favorite wizard?

Post by cooleytriston »

This is an easy one for me. My all time favorite Wizard is Tarlak, from the Shadow Dancer Series. Tarlak is a powerful wizard and always has a sarcastic awesome comment, but is never an over confident pompous.
Igor Martinez
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-igor-martinez.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Igor Martinez »

My favorite wizard is and always will be Albus Dumbledore :D
edelaoefi
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edelaoefi.html

Post by edelaoefi »

I have to say that my heart lies with Skeeve from the Myth Adventures series by Robert Asprin. Skeeve doesn't really ever end up with much natural power, but he uses what he has to the best of his abilities and lives through way more adventures than he should ever have been able to.
lmoses
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmoses.html
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Post by lmoses »

Just because I grew up with the Harry Potter series, I have to go with Harry Potter himself! I fell in love with the books and the sacrifices Harry makes to save those he loves and the world cannot be overlooked!
It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
— J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2))
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline
Rhoe_Marrow
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhoe-marrow.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Rhoe_Marrow »

Wreade1872 wrote:I thought Howl from Howl's Moving Castle was pretty good, also Ridcully from the discworld books. Gandalf is a tool, its not surprising he's based on an evil wizard.
I've recently read 'Sigurd the Volsung and the Fall of the Niblungs by William Morris' and you can see the character that Gandalf is based on in that and he's not very nice, although he is useful just like Tolkien's version.
You know Gandalf sent the dwarves to wake up Smaug as a strategic ploy to prevent Smaug making an alliance with Sauron, even though he had NO idea if the dragon would be killed and he didn't care how many people died in the aftermath.
There's also his screwing over of the Shire in lotr's which he kept from the hobbits less they decide to go back home and help their people. Gandalf is a General like Xavier in the x-men, you might need him but that doesn't mean you should like him. :snooty:

I'm going to go with Raistlin from the dragonlance series :D , he's a great character with understandable motives and its great he doesn't get sentimentalized like other characters. And yes i admit he also is a tool like Gandalf, in fact much worse than Gandalf but at least he's not disingenuous :twisted: . Right from the start you know he'd sell you down the river in a heart beat and its nice to know where one stands :wink: .
Wooow, completely understandable with the Raistlin comment. However I personally prefer his dark elf successor Dalamar.
Also, Howl from Howl's Moving Castle is an awesome choice.
mstnglady
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstnglady.html

Post by mstnglady »

My favorite wizard would have to be Harry obviously! Read them to many times to count. I've read a few other series with wizards but I just can't seem to find any that I can get into as much as the Potters.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Post by micoleon13 »

yowg8ynwa wrote:What is the name of Patrick Rothfuss's series? Would be interested in starting new
The first book in the series is called the Name of the Wind, the second is Wise man's fear. Definitely recommend reading this series, it's wonderfully written and very addictive, can't wait to read the third one!
fabulasaule
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulasaule.html

Post by fabulasaule »

Not very original but it is... Dumbledore from Harry Potter.
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

For a long time my answer would have been Gandalf.....but somehow in the last 15 years Albus Dumbledore has won me over.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
meowth29

Post by meowth29 »

Raistlin when he's black robes.
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Insomniac07 »

If we are talking of just wizards in books, then I'd have to go with Dumbledore too just because I adore the Harry Potter series and Albus Dumbledore was one of my favorite characters right from the beginning.

However, I'm equally partial (maybe even slightly more) to Merlin from the TV series Merlin. It was such a wonderful character and I loved every scene with him in it.
Sakuko

Post by Sakuko »

I'm for Morrolan e'Drien from the Vlad Taltos Series. I love his versatility, as he's a wizard, witch and swordsman. He's immensely powerful, but also a bit naive, but honorable and loyal.
A_Doyle
Currently Reading: Shitty Mom
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-doyle.html

Post by A_Doyle »

Harry Dresden, hands down! No question! I love this series and all I can say is Jim Butcher... You need to get writing my friend.
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

Gravy wrote:Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden 8)
Sorry...I love snark, Harry is the king of snark :lol:
Harry Dresden is the best! He's just so cool that I can't get enough of The Dresden Files. Plus he's clever and gorgeous (at least that's how I imagined him to be. haha!).
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
weeh84
Currently Reading: Paradise Lost
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-weeh84.html
Latest Review: "Crumbling Walls" by Laura Strandt
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by weeh84 »

Gravy wrote:Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden 8)
Sorry...I love snark, Harry is the king of snark :lol:
I love the Dresden Files! You took the words right out of my mouth. Fantastic! The books started out a bit odd, but I became hooked. Jim Butcher is one of my favorite authors.
Latest Review: "Crumbling Walls" by Laura Strandt

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”