Who is your favorite wizard?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
peskybrunette
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Who is your favorite wizard?

Post by peskybrunette »

I like Dumbledore, but I love the sass of Mrs. Weasley. Don't mess with mama wizard or her little ones. ;)
aparsons
Bookshelf Size: 498
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aparsons.html
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri

Post by aparsons »

You know, I had honest to god forgotten about the Harry Potter books when I commented on this thread. Including the Harry Potter books, I guess a favorite would be Sirius, or Lupin. They came through some of the most adversity with shining colors, and are role models for everyone out there.
“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

My favourite would have to be Severus Snape from Harry Potter. He's such a complicated character, and I enjoy how he's so powerful in very subtle ways. He's so skilled at occlumency, and was able to create his own spells and figure out better ways to create many different potions. On top of that he is very skilled at spellwork. It's great how no one really knows where his loyalties truly lie for essentially the entire series.
yowg8ynwa
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yowg8ynwa.html

Post by yowg8ynwa »

My definitive favourite is Rincewind from the Discworld series. Unlike Harry/Gandalf/Dumbledore he is not very good, in fact he is probably the least powerful wizard on the Disc. However, he tries hard, his heart is in the right place, and somehow or another he always ends up saving the world. He first shows up in Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett, and he gains a (somewhat) credible reputation throughout the rest of the series. People have heard of him, but can't understand for the life of them why he's so famous.
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

yowg8ynwa wrote:My definitive favourite is Rincewind from the Discworld series. Unlike Harry/Gandalf/Dumbledore he is not very good, in fact he is probably the least powerful wizard on the Disc. However, he tries hard, his heart is in the right place, and somehow or another he always ends up saving the world. He first shows up in Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett, and he gains a (somewhat) credible reputation throughout the rest of the series. People have heard of him, but can't understand for the life of them why he's so famous.
That reminds me of Questor from The Kingdom of Landover series by Terry Brooks. He's not the greatest with his magic but he means well and doesn't give up. Besides Gandalf I'm going to see he's one of my favorites just because he's not the typical all powerful wizard, which it sounds like Rincewind is out of the norm too.
yowg8ynwa

Post by yowg8ynwa »

Terry Brooks of Shannara fame? I didn't know that he did anymore apart from that universe, I'll have to look up the Landover series. Rincewind is great, TP just writes him as a normal person who tries his best to stay out of grand battles, fights and heroic stances, but somehow or another he gets sucked into another adventure. I have seen a lot of copies of Colour of Magic sitting around in second-hand stores, and highly recommend any of TP's writing!
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>

Post by Taylor Razzani »

yowg8ynwa wrote:Terry Brooks of Shannara fame? I didn't know that he did anymore apart from that universe, I'll have to look up the Landover series. Rincewind is great, TP just writes him as a normal person who tries his best to stay out of grand battles, fights and heroic stances, but somehow or another he gets sucked into another adventure. I have seen a lot of copies of Colour of Magic sitting around in second-hand stores, and highly recommend any of TP's writing!
That's him! They're entertaining enough, a little bit lighter than the Shannara books it seems but still good. :D I've never read any Terry Pratchett but I've seen his books everywhere and have always been intrigued, I never knew where to start though.
yowg8ynwa

Post by yowg8ynwa »

I remember religiously reading the original Shannara trilogy in secondary school! I think I even tried my hand a writing my own, with the same themes. Sadly I never finished it...I'll definitely look them up.

As for Terry Pratchett, there isn't that much continuity between each book that you must start from the beginning, each book is a story of its own. You might miss a reference or two, but I think they were written just as a celebration of Discworld. If you want to start at the beginning, Colour of Magic is the TP's (and Rincewind's) first adventure. But if you see one just lying around, try it!
Taylor Razzani

Post by Taylor Razzani »

yowg8ynwa wrote:I remember religiously reading the original Shannara trilogy in secondary school! I think I even tried my hand a writing my own, with the same themes. Sadly I never finished it...I'll definitely look them up.

As for Terry Pratchett, there isn't that much continuity between each book that you must start from the beginning, each book is a story of its own. You might miss a reference or two, but I think they were written just as a celebration of Discworld. If you want to start at the beginning, Colour of Magic is the TP's (and Rincewind's) first adventure. But if you see one just lying around, try it!
They're some of my favorite fantasy stories, I can see how it would inspire you to write.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll keep an eye out for that one so I can read about this wizard :-)
burbnerd82
Currently Reading: The Club Dumas
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-burbnerd82.html

Post by burbnerd82 »

I have to say Gandalf. Wizards are normally my favorite characters in fantasy books but my all time fav is Gandalf for sure!
dhaller
Currently Reading: The Moral Arc
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhaller.html
Latest Review: "Off to See the Wizard" by Clay Johnson

Post by dhaller »

Has nobody mentioned Kvothe from The Name of The Wind?

I love those books.

Patrick Rothfuss's writing is unbelievably good, and his magic system is just piles of interesting.

Also, the romance in those books is fantastic. Just sayin'.
Latest Review: "Off to See the Wizard" by Clay Johnson
yowg8ynwa

Post by yowg8ynwa »

What is the name of Patrick Rothfuss's series? Would be interested in starting new
Anarala
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anarala.html
Latest Review: "A World Outside" by Daniella Rae

Post by Anarala »

Mine would have to be Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander in The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. Like most wizards he has his own reasons behind everything and can be cryptic but he is so crucial to the story and such a well written character.
Latest Review: "A World Outside" by Daniella Rae
youbreccia
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by youbreccia »

I love Remus Lupin and Dumbledore. Each of them has things in their past they like to hide.
CaptainHere
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-captainhere.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by CaptainHere »

I have a thing for Sirius Black in Harry Potter. He's quite unhinged from being imprisoned but still a bad ass in his own right - not to mention intelligent. Dumbledore is formidable and cool in his own mysterious way but he wouldn't be my number one.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”