Review of The 9th Colony

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jane Ogwang
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Review of The 9th Colony

Post by Jane Ogwang »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The 9th Colony" by Colin Curtis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Several sources have reported human encounters with beings and creatures outside the Earth. Some have been explained satisfactorily, others are still mysterious, but most information on these has been kept top secret. The ambiguity of this topic makes it an excellent but unending subject of debate. Most importantly, it gives authors and filmmakers the space for creativity. They take up the tasks of filling in the gaps and presenting well-thought-out and creative fiction work on this subject. This book, The 9th Colony, by Colin Curtis, is one of the many beautiful and imaginative books on the subject.

Simon and Alex's journey to work is cut short by a strange and powerful craft that appears out of nowhere. In their naivety and curiosity, they attempt to discover more about the craft by inspecting it and hurling objects at it. It is then that this craft kidnaps them. This incident occurs in several other areas, and several other people are abducted. They later discover that they were kidnapped by Gozians, human species from another colony and one of the three existing trading colonies. There are nine existing colonies with humans of different abilities and physiology. Simon and the others had been captured for procreation, medical experiments, and slavery purposes. Their planet, Earth, was the least advanced of all the colonies. Simon joins Chris, who leads a human resistance against these powerful beings. They adopt their technology, make allies and use them to mount a proper opposition. Everything culminates in an all-out war for the soul of the Earth, the 9th Colony. They fight to protect the world and its people from attack and capture by these advanced human beings.

I applaud the author's creativity and imagination in writing this book. The concepts and ideas were original, and the author presented them well. The features of the humans from the different planets were also unique. In addition, the equipment and technology concepts were also quite distinct and well-thought-out. Everything about how they handled surveillance, trade, politics, and even medicine was also original and creatively thought out. I loved how the author used different characters to explain these ideas in very simple terms.

Colin developed this book's plot quite well. It was neither hurried nor too slow, just the right pace. Activities led to other activities quite seamlessly. One could see things build up nicely and notice when they were about to explode. The preparation and execution of the final war, for instance, was lovely to read about. The characters were also well-developed and unique in their own way. My favorite character was Marcus; his ruthlessness and focus when executing his roles were unmatched. The author also did well in covering several topics in the book, each with just enough detail. From technology, politics, and war, to love and romance.

While the conversations in the book made it livelier and more engaging, the profanity, especially in the early chapters, was overused. Almost all the sentences in those conversations contained profanity that did not add value to the story. I would have preferred a more restrained use of profanity. I also did not enjoy some of the conversations between Princess Helaine and Simon. The names they called each other in serious meetings and in the face of danger sometimes seemed unnatural and misplaced. I kept sighing, 'this is neither the place nor time.'

In light of these observations, I give this book a rating of four out of five stars. It is well-written and professionally edited, as I only noticed a few errors. With more restrained profanity use and more natural conversations, it would have earned a perfect star from me. I recommend it to all lovers of fiction stories and enthusiasts of alien existence.

The 9th Colony
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
jordan i
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordan-i.html
Latest Review: Totem by Charlie Sheldon

Post by jordan i »

I like the book a lot and I love your response to the book.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

This is a beautiful imaginary craft dealing with UFOs. Do Simon and Alex are just captives from Earth or many? Do they escape? I think I love to discover it to fill up my intrigue. Your review is amazing, Jane.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

The fact that Earth is the least advanced colony of an alien species explains a lot. :mrgreen: Seriously, despite your reservations, this seems like an interesting take on UFO folklore. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Baba Thoust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baba-thoust.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Baba Thoust »

War with aliens has piqued my interest these days. This book has an interesting twist however. I would love to read about other human colonies. Did Simon and his allies triumph their abductors? Great review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”