Review of A New Dawn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Precious Amarachi Nzeakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-amarachi-nzeakor.html
Latest Review: Words of Wisdom: INSPIRING QUOTES for Everyone by Sharef Flounoy

Review of A New Dawn

Post by Precious Amarachi Nzeakor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A New Dawn" by Reginald Andah.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Extraterrestrial beings have dominated Earth, and humans are suspended in space. Most humans in space had volunteered to be put in cryostasis before extraterrestrial beings took over Earth completely. Among them are Leona and Xander, who knew each other while on Earth. They awaken from cryostasis and slowly regain their memories. They find their way to each other again.

Xander and Leona are in training to become soldiers who can be sent down to Earth to gather supplies and weapons that can be used to fight these extraterrestrial beings. Along the way, they make some new friends and discover some fascinating information about these extraterrestrial beings, as well as the process that led to their domination of Earth. Towards the end, Xander discovers there is more to Leona than he thought. Would this tear them apart after they've survived a lot together and for so long, or bring them closer? Would they ever defeat these extraterrestrial beings who have taken over Earth and regain their place?

A New Dawn by Reginald Andah is a beautiful work of science fiction that talks about the end of the world, but not in the way we know it. Here, extraterrestrial beings, later referred to as demons, have taken over the Earth and can do a lot of mind-blowing things. From telekinesis to human possession, their powers seem to be limitless; however, humans are able to fight back using religious relics from times past. Science finds itself joining hands with religion to provide a fighting chance for the remaining humans who are on ships suspended in space, away from their homes. Despite the grim future that seems to await humans every step of the way, we are still able to see little spots of light in the friendships that blossomed, in the love between Xander and Leona, and in the trust that binds them all.

There are a lot of things to enjoy about this book. From the imaginative way the author melds science and religion together to create a beautiful story to the delightful cliffhangers that this story ends with, there's really not much to hate. I loved that this book made me think; it made me poke at what are simply regarded as conspiracy theories and wonder if there might be truths to them after all. At a point in the book, they talk about how these extraterrestrial beings, which are referred to as demons, are actually manifestations of our negative energy, and how some of the things we take in, in the form of certain songs or movies, only help to fuel these negative emotions and, in turn, strengthen the manifestation of these demons. At a certain point, it makes you consider the possibility of this occurrence in reality; you almost forget it's just fiction. I found only a few errors in the book, which proves that the book was professionally edited.

However, despite all the loveable things about this book, I still found a little issue with the storytelling. The protagonist, Xander, tended to wax philosophical in situations that did not call for it. It somehow took away from the feeling of the book, especially for that moment, diluting it in a way. Also, at some point, detailed explanations were given that were not really necessary, like in the scene where Xander is deployed on a mission to find out what was causing interference in a particular area; he went into an explanation about the idea he'd come up with about drawing a seal and started going into its origin, which I found totally unnecessary, considering the situation they were in and the fact that this was a fast-paced scene.

In conclusion, A New Dawn is a beautiful book, one that would undoubtedly leave you looking at the world in a new light and stretching your imagination. However, I'll give this book a rating of 4 out of 5 stars. Although I enjoyed reading this book, I felt like it could have been better. The imagery was quite lacking for science fiction, and the beginning of the book was a bit sketchy, making it a little hard to quickly catch on to what was going on. Regardless, this is a book you'd definitely enjoy if you're having a lazy morning and looking for something to keep you busy for the next few hours. So, kick back and enjoy!

A New Dawn
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Hee Via
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hee-via.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Hee Via »

A very well written review, I very much enjoyed it so kudos on that.
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

At a point in the book, they talk about how these extraterrestrial beings, which are referred to as demons, are actually manifestations of our negative energy, and how some of the things we take in, in the form of certain songs or movies, only help to fuel these negative emotions and, in turn, strengthen the manifestation of these demons.
Nice review! This sci-fi novel sounds quite philosophical. What you're saying about negative energy influencing the nature of the extraterrestrial invaders is very interesting, and I believe there is some truth to that idea in real life.
Stephanie Stones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okonchika.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Stephanie Stones »

This is an interesting and well thought of review. I would love to try out this book and know more about the fascinating things in it. This is an interesting storyline.
Adeoluwa Adebusuyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeoluwa-adebusuyi.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Adeoluwa Adebusuyi »

This is a good and well written review. You captured all the important components of the book and I would definitely love to try out this book. Well done.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This mix of science fiction and religion with a wink at "fringe theories" offers a curious angle to develop this extraterrestrial invasion story. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Blackstenius
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

This book sounds thought-provoking and eye-opening in a way. The idea of combining science and religion to find solutions, though not new, is interesting. It's also interesting that humans are eliminated from Earth but instead of being terminated as is the case in most stories which this type of storyline, they are suspended in space, waiting for the time when Earth will be rid of aliens so they can reinhabit Earth.
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.
Baba Thoust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baba-thoust.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Baba Thoust »

Science and religion joining hands sounds unbelievable. I would like to see how the author achieves this. The story of Xander and Leona adds sparks to the story and this just makes the book worth reading. Great review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”