Review of Treading the Path

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Cameron
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-cameron.html
Latest Review: Grizzly Lake by Robert Woods

Review of Treading the Path

Post by Stephanie Cameron »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Treading the Path" by Tonja Condray Klein.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In a parallel dimension to Earth, a place called Eirinth exists. Eirinth is a mid-evil land, home to Bengosha, Kouken and Mortals. Kouken are gifted people with different elemental and psychic abilities. Tenrai Daystar, Earth's equivalent to Jesus Christ, gave the Kouken special powers to protect those of Eirinth from demons. But when the alliance between Kouken and Mortals faulters, all the Kouken get forced into hiding. Treading The Path by Tonja Condray Klein is the second book in the Rebirth of Eirnith series that continues the Kouken's journey for justice and redemption.

I loved Klein's creativity in this story. My favorite part was how they intertwined Earth and Eirinth. I thought it was clever how the author teleported three humans from Earth and then turned their specialties on Earth into magical traits in Eirinth. For example, Jamison was good at chemistry on Earth, but in Eirinth, he can use that knowledge to intensify Kouken abilities. He figured out how to pull energy from the sun, combine it with an attack from a Kouken and cause an explosion. I also liked how Klein incorporated the importance of family, friends, love, and compassion. Those themes gave the book an overall wholesome and positive vibe, which I enjoyed. And I appreciated how the author was able to deliver subtle religious messages in her story without it making you feel like you were being preached at or lectured to.

I must admit that I was a little lost while reading the first few chapters. In the beginning, being lost made the story slow-paced and not very interesting. Since this is the second book in the series, I believe I needed to read the series in order or that there should have been a summary of the first book in the beginning. There are a lot of characters in this story. Even with the glossary provided, I still had difficulties keeping track of the characters. I think knowing what the first book was about would have helped me understand what was going on and help me keep track of who's who. The story started slow and confusing, but by the fifth chapter, the author had grabbed my full attention. The ending left me wanting more. I am excited to read the next book. I want to learn more about Takeo, an enemy of the Kouken, and what happens with the ongoing battle of Eirinth.

This book has a lot of errors that lead me to suggest more editing is needed. For that reason and my confusion, I rate this book a 4 out of 5.

This story is well-balanced with romance, action, and adventure. I would recommend this book to readers who like fantasy. Also, because of the author's descriptive writing style and illustrations, I feel those who love anime would enjoy this read. I think this book is appropriate for most ages. There is no profanity or gory descriptions, and any intimacy mentioned is vague.

Treading the Path
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Favour Hillz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-hillz.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Favour Hillz »

This review is well detailed and captivating. It contains the important information about the book. I'm looking forward to reading this book. Thanks for a wonderful review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”