Review of The Golden Rhinoceros

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ebele Ekelobi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebele-ekelobi.html
Latest Review: My Life as a Cryptocurrency by April Lee

Review of The Golden Rhinoceros

Post by Ebele Ekelobi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Golden Rhinoceros" by Ranulfo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Golden Rhinoceros by Ranulfo Concon is a book about a peculiar world where King Prawn, an egoistic and somewhat misogynistic king, tries to rule over everyone, especially women. The women, led by the queen, rebelled and broke out of his sexist rule. That led to the birth of two different kingdoms, one populated by men and the other by women. The Golden Rhinoceros detailed a wide range of characters, one of which was King Prawn’s son, Prince Jotel. The prince would often disguise himself as a cat to see the lady he loved. It also detailed the character of President Carol, a very dominant woman who stood her ground against the oppression of women and led women to become fierce and strong, not the weak properties of men. The characters of the two ironically smart idiots who tried to overthrow the king were equally detailed by Ranulfo in this story. This book has many captivating themes, which include love, power tussle, and death. It also contains some form of poetry. 

There was something so unique about Ranulfo’s writing style that made me feel like I knew him personally, and it was his ability to incorporate some parts of his personal life into the story. An example was the part of the story where he wrote about his girlfriend. Some parts of the story felt like an autobiography, and that added flair to it. The author also communicated directly with the readers, and the entire book felt like having an enjoyable conversation. Ranulfo’s distinct humour also stood out for me. It was childlike and would also be relatable to the vast majority of readers. The Golden Rhinoceros was like watching a cartoon movie, and it brought to life a lot of emotions. 

I often found myself lost while reading and would go back to re-read certain paragraphs or chapters because I couldn’t get a clear understanding of where the story was headed, especially the chapters that had stage plays. Another issue I had with this book was the inclusion of certain nominal characters. There were just too many characters, and some of them played no significant role. They were mostly found in the chapters that had stage plays.

I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. I could tell from its pages that Ranulfo has an exceptional imaginative mind. The aspects of The Golden Rhinoceros that required me to make use of my imagination were great, but it also felt nasty at some point. The author took my mind to so many places, especially in the new Eden chapter, the chapter where he described heaven, amongst others. The characters engaged in certain perverted activities that didn't sit well with me. The last point, coupled with the fact that the book had many characters that didn't add so much to the development of the story, made me remove one star from it. I found no issues with the editing of this book. It was exceptionally well edited.

On the recommendation, I have to state that this book is for readers above the age of sixteen because it does have some explicit scenes on sex. Anyone who loves science fiction and fantasy stories should definitely pick up this book. It is truly a fantastic read, and Ranulfo Concon’s writing style is brilliant and honest.

The Golden Rhinoceros
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

I admire the queen but how did the prince turn himself into a cat? and of all the creatures available he chose to be a cat? Interesting book it seems. Great review!
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Lost in Plan Sight by Karen Magee

Post by Laney K »

This sounds like a creative book. Thanks for the excellent review!
Oluchi23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi23.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Oluchi23 »

I love your review. It holds so many lessons to teach the reader. It is full of fun and illusions. Love demands lots of sacrifices. Most time when males want to woo a female, he goes extra mile to get her heart captured
Oluwatobilola Olu-awe
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwatobilola-olu-awe.html
Latest Review: The Fighting Ibex by Leo Peterson

Post by Oluwatobilola Olu-awe »

Amazing review, sounds like a good read
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This is quite a peculiar novel that includes a lot of humor to address very serious issues. Despite the issues you pointed out, it might be an engaging story if you get into it. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Blackstenius
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

Books with so many characters tend to lose the main plot and oftentimes result in confusion, so I don't like them. Also, the mix of the narration perspectives get me confused, from my experience. Even though some subplots seem interesting, I think I'll pass this one. Your review was nonetheless enjoyable.
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.
ReviewFromYear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewfromyear.html
Latest Review: Let it Be by Thomas Grady

Post by ReviewFromYear »

I Like this novel that includes a lot of humor to combat serious issues. Thank you for review!
Baba Thoust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baba-thoust.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Baba Thoust »

As science fictions as this is, woman empowerment has been a loud topic in the last say two decades, a few days I imagined a world with two kingdoms just as the book illistrates, a women and men separate kingdom. I am happy that love seems to be the key to bring us back together incase this happens. Wonderful review .

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”