Review of A New War

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Darlings O
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlington-onuoha.html
Latest Review: Imperfect Lives Perfect Grace by Dr. E.M. Johnson

Review of A New War

Post by Darlings O »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A New War" by Alexander Farah.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

A New War by Alexander Farah is a novel that tells about the fictional kingdom of Naataros, which is plagued by instability and political chaos. The novel begins with two soldiers, Salal and Ahmid, who are on their way to Sidos, where a woman living with her little daughter has called for help. The woman named Malia tells them about the powerful light she saw and her fears about the army of the dead. As they move to the dreaded Alhayit, Ahmid taunts the army of the dead, and immediately, a silhouette appears and beheads him.

In the Kingdom of Naataros, after so many years of civil war, which was started by the Scandosians, another war is about to start again, spearheaded by the same Scandosians. The Scandosians are relentless in their search for freedom and autonomy, and the fact that they are one of the most productive people in the Kingdom drives them all the more. King Michel sends for Barak Fares, a fierce soldier who played an important role in the crushing of the elves during the first war. Fares, a renowned soldier, had decided to retire to a quiet life of blacksmithing, away from the ghosts of blood and war that haunt him as a soldier. Alongside Fares is his young nephew, Melhel, an orphan who he has been training. Will Fares agree to fight for the King again, and will the Scandosians get their freedom, or will King Michel keep the Kingdom together?

There are many positive aspects to this work, and I salute the imaginative process of the author in coming out with such a beautiful setting. Usually, the role of the author in books of this nature is to clip the reader on his shoulder like an eagle and take him or her to places where he'll never be in life. The author did that very well, crafting the fictional kingdom of Naataros where God becomes Lah and elves coexist with humans. The novel is also in simple English, which will make it very easy for readers to understand without having to stop and check the dictionary for the meanings of unknown words. The book was also exceptionally well edited.

There are so many themes that can be spotted in this book, from freedom to love and even persistence. The theme of freedom is espoused in the elves and in their relentless fight for freedom even after the previous war had cost them almost everything they had, even their lives. The theme of love is projected in the genuine love Fares had for his nephew, who had lost his parents. It is not anyone that can boast of a caring uncle like that. Fares brings up Melhel as a strong soldier and blacksmith, a young man that can take care of himself.

Another beautiful theme we will find in the novel is the theme of the unpredictable nature of humans, which you will have to find out by reading this because I won't spoil it for you. The theme of persistence is still rooted in the way the elves persisted in their quest for freedom even after the first civil war almost wiped out their entire people with the aid of Al Eelam's magic. Al Eelam's decision to switch sides even brings up the theme of trust, teaching a valuable lesson that we should never rely on others.

The book had no negative aspects at all. I enjoyed reading it. I rate this beautiful work five out of five stars, and I'll recommend it to lovers of war literature and literature in general, especially lovers of action and adventure.

A New War
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mary O Dougherty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-o-dougherty.html
Latest Review: The Transcendental Tangle: Untying the Enigmatic Knots of the Infinite by Matthew Emmanuel Weinberg

Post by Mary O Dougherty »

This sounds like you had a great time reading this book! Thanks for writing this review with a solid summary of the plot. It sounds like it tells a coherent story, which can be hard with fantasy books sometimes.
Oluchi23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi23.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Oluchi23 »

I enjoy every bit of the review but "Will Fares agree to fight for the King again, and will the Scandosians get their freedom, or will King Michel keep the Kingdom together?" Is what I have to know be adding it to my bookshelf ASAP.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging fantasy with a storyline based on human nature and a great world-building. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Domeseo Camus Meda
Currently Reading: The Stealthy Viral Pimpernel
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-domeseo-camus-meda.html
Latest Review: The Beautiful Business by Steven Morris

Post by Domeseo Camus Meda »

A BOOK BY ALEXANDER FARAH WHICH TELLS THE HISTORY OF THE FICTIONAL KINGDOM OF NAATAROS WHICH IS BEING AFFECTED BY INSTABILITY AND POLITICAL CHAOS.
A BOOK FOR FANS OF LITERATURE AND FANS OF ACTION AND ADVENTURE.GOOD REVIEW
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I don’t like war stories and this one just sounds strange, Congratulations on BOTD!
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I like the theme of love and freedom but it seems that the storyline is not my cup of tea. I think Fares and Melhel will help the King in the upcoming war. But currently, I'll pass on this book. Congratulations to the author on BOTD!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Salyha rashid
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Salyha rashid »

From your review, it seems like that you are a fond of war fantasy books. Well war and freedom books like that have another level of depth feeling, emotions and random actions which define the clear vision of life and give the strong purpose of life. Your review is really appealing and have full of expression of emotions.
Ams Strong
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ams-strong.html
Latest Review: Requiem For A Queen by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Ams Strong »

Good review. This fiction bears a lot of semblance to classical fictional stories like Game Of Thrones. Any fictional story based on medieval-style settings and magical creatures is always enthralling. I hope this one does not disappoint.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting science fiction fantasy novel highlighting instability, political chaos, freedom, love, conflict, unpredictability, and persistence. The book has a free sample on Amazon Kindle and has a well-written OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.
Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Of All Faiths & None
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-felix-mnjala-maneno.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno »

A definite read for me. I love fantasy novels and this sounds really good. I would love to see what Fares does when he's summoned by King Michel to go back to war and if his nephew will join him. An excellent read for book of the day. I like how the reviewer covers all bases including the themes in the book. Nice work.
Real courage is when you know you are licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what! (To kill a Mockingbird - Atticus Finch) Harper Lee.
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

I am usually not a fan of war stories; however, this storyline intrigues me. The first few pages seem intense, but the best books are written in saving the best scenes for last, and that deserves a fighting chance to finish reading. Thank you for writing a captivating review!
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
nuri_4458

Post by nuri_4458 »

I read the first few chapters available and your review fantastically defines what it holds and it was so engaging, especially after being able to realte with Ahmid and Salal's courage, knowing what lied ahead still fulfilling their duty. I am so much looking forward to know: how the King will keep the kingdom together? This novel is going to be worth the read in finding out how that dead army can be defeated.
Marquesa
Favorite Book: A Promised Land
Currently Reading: The Housemaid
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marquesa.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by Marquesa »

I think I have found myself a great book for the beach holiday. As a fan of sci-fi and imaginary kingdoms and heroes, I am sure that I will enjoy this read. It will transport me out of reality into an imaginary world. Not bad at all.
Ivana_5
Currently Reading:

Post by Ivana_5 »

This is a historical society story about war civil. Started on Kingdom of Noorde. How stopped war and what reason to fait we read in this book. That is war for freedom and better life. Every war is difficult and bead, but we must found way to stoped and communicate together. I recommend everyone why like history story.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”