Review of Korian: Ark of the Fallen King

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Esther Godwin Ogechi
Currently Reading: Adventures with Pop Pop at Grant’s Farm
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-godwin-ogechi.html
Latest Review: Worldmaker of Yand - Eltanin by Andri E. Elia

Review of Korian: Ark of the Fallen King

Post by Esther Godwin Ogechi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Korian: Ark of the Fallen King" by Giorgio Garofalo.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The survivors of the struggle against Adam Hades' evil armies in the battle of Dosdava – a bloody conflict that left their Endura desolate and scarred by evil – had found refuge on the island of the Trap in the Azif Lora Sea for seven years. Aboard the “Winds of Freedom”, led by Korian Ro, the Azura, and wielder of the Manian spear, these docile humanoids fled the region they had called home. The cloud of uncertainty loomed about, and self-doubt and decline threatened to force the hero to recoil into his shell. A strange light burst through the Trap's night sky, aroused interest, and shattered the illusion of serenity the Ruids had been enjoying. It also set the course of these humanoids' subsequent journey and destiny.

Books like this (no, not movies. Movies muddle the imaginative aspects, and their creative components are diluted) fascinate me. My impression of its authors is that they are gods, perhaps members of a guild of creators. I'm awestruck and pulsating in admiration by the sheer brilliance, artistry, and uniqueness of it all, as well as the author's skill in capturing readers' interest and keeping it until the very end.

Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo is a science fiction/fantasy novel. It is the second book in the “Korian Epic Fantasy Adventures Series”. The narrative takes readers on an exciting journey through a vivid and imaginatively created magical realm. The wonderful descriptions and meticulous construction of this fantasy universe put readers right in the middle of the action as it occurs in the book. Even the characters' names and quirks were original, thanks to the author's great attention to detail, when creating the world of Endura, its secrets, and legends. He added a variety of mystical creatures to the mix, such as enormous sea creatures, locust-like flying insects, Huntsmen, and Manians. The tale is packed with suspense, action, and adventure.

The book's plot appeals to me; it is plausible and accessible. There are many twists and turns in the engaging plot. Giorgio describes Korian and his companions' exploits as they travel toward the source of evil for the liberation of their people. He describes how kindness permeates all creatures, both small and great (their encounters with the Rakkia and Horda, the Skine). The scene where the group of adventurers boarded the Rakkia appealed to me. It reminded me of a comparable scene from a movie I'd seen, called Sea Monsters. To boost the morale of the protagonists and make them more human-like, the author employed sentiments that evoked memories of lost love, family, and friends. The character Zohar is, undoubtedly, my favorite. I appreciated how his mind, which is by far his greatest asset, operates like a machine. Others see mountains of rubbish, but he sees untapped resources that are just waiting to be exploited. With the flurry of activities surrounding the creation of “Zohar's armor”, the author's sense of humor stood out to me. The plot took an intriguing, sharp turn from supernatural to science fiction. Korian gained knowledge of Adam Hades' identity and the relationship between him and his parents.

I can't say I was disappointed with the ending because this is the second book in the sequel, but it did make me eager to read the third book.

There is nothing about the book that I didn't like; it has earned and received a perfect rating from me. I'm rating it 5 out of 5 stars. Using the map at the start allowed readers to follow the fellowship's progress; the glossary at the end made it easier to understand the book's usage of foreign words. I found no errors while reading the book because it had been explicitly well-edited.

This story was great. This will be a hit with readers who enjoy science fiction and adventure books. I would recommend this book to young and adult readers, but caution is advised for readers with sensitive stomachs because the violent scenes were very graphic.

Korian: Ark of the Fallen King
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
For I know the thought I have for you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace, not of evil, to give you an expected end.Jeremiah 29:11

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”